SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Swift-Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: My Swift-Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions Reply with quote

My Swift Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions

At first there was a considerable amount of attention paid to the media, and rightfully so, because they were not reporting on the story. That has obviously changed…the media is reporting…there is of course a debate if Media bias is allowing fair reporting.

I see much discussion about the media’s new onslaught about Bush’s National Guard service. This has nothing to do with Swift Vets or its mission. It’s a distraction, its being used create a false argument by the media. Swift Vet engaging in it only gives in to the tactic which is meant to dilute and obscure what Swift Vets are saying. Kerry did things and said things which were despicable and insulting to Veterans….Bush’s actions in no way minimize or change the implications of what Kerry did.

If Swift Vets become commentators on Bush, it only hurts Swift Vets, and allows the media to win in shifting the argument. It’s clear that the response to the claims of “Unfit for Command” is to ignore the question and say “Well if you are going to ask that, we need to talk about what Bush was doing”. That response has ended discussion 100s of times on talk shows…you have seen it as clearly as me.

The media is now coming out with MORE BUSH RECORDS stories. I suggest to you the only comments from Swift Vets should be…. “It is time for Senator Kerry to grant the media the same access to his records, via form 180” If they ask another question on Bush, it needs to be the same answer back.

Next, I have to say the focus of Swift Vets as evidenced on this message board is dissolving. Granted this message board is not what O’Neill is doing and I don’t know all the behind scenes…so given that I will continue to grumble.

Swift Vets have all the information they need….there is little left to discover….Swift Vets have eye witnesses. As all these new tangents put out, it dilutes the message. Swift Vets need to have a list of 10 items that it wants Kerry to do. As of yet I have not seen that list from Swift Vets. I have seen the request for apology letter but that does not cut it. Kerry is not going to apologize. Swift Vets need to have a list of items that they are requesting Kerry to do. Stuff like:
1. Will you sign form 180, or will you restrict access to your Vietnam records?
2. Please explain why you lied on the Senate Floor, by misleading your fellow Senators and the People they represent by claiming false actions while you served in Vietnam?
3. etc etc.

The story of the Swift Vets is out…the Media analysts have done a great job getting Swift Vets to this point. But at this point there is an Elephant in the room that Swift Vets target audience is point to.

The question Swift Vets need to address is: “Okay we understand your story, we understand your claims, what do you want Kerry to do now?” That is the elephant…. “we understand…what do you want?” What do you want….is currently left open.

I suggest that what needs to be asked, is that Kerry respond to items 1 through X. Without this list coming from Swift Vets the problem is Swift Vets will become lost within the campaign. This is the last time, the very last time that the harms of misinformation by Kerry and others, that harmed so many, can be corrected. The lies that Kerry said..because of his agenda…that biased the way history remembers Vietnam, need to be corrected. Debating the questions like an election campaign does not serve the purpose of correcting the record. The conclusion with a fair record of the lies, will be that Kerry is Unfit to Command….but the goal is correcting the record…the Media assumes the goal is the election….that is the core misunderstanding between the Swift Vets mission and the medias coverage.

So I ask “What do Swift Vets want?” The answer is NOT that you don’t vote for Kerry. That is short sighted…Swift Vets need to fight for the record of history…while the Election gives that focus….the Election help bring the attention…its is not the singular goal.

Looking at this board now….I see more and more responses to Fogs of War. The media is creating the fog, that does not mean Swift-Vets should fight the Fog….. Swift Vets have a mission…and regardless of the internal focus of Swift-Vets…Swift-Vet owes a communication out to the Nation of what that mission is….its not clear right now. I suggest a list of things that Kerry should do….perhaps there is another angle to do it…but the problem remains…to the public…the Mission of Swift Vets is not clear.

It is important that Swift Vets focus on claims by Kerry, after the war. His lies in Vietnam are obvious…O’Reilly concluded the same tonight, yet take the message Swift Vets got from O’Reilly tonight. The is something called the “so what?” test… O’Reilly feedback to O’Neill tonight was Kerry’s action in Vietnam have now gone into the “so what?” level. This is not so say that their chronicling in Unfit for Command, and the past 2 months of communication have been for not. Clearly it has been important. But that tank is about out of gas…in terms of media attention. I do think O’Neill understands the public attention span factor…I definitely think he does.

At this point IMHO the focus needs to shift dominantly to what Kerry did when he got back. There is an entire history of that the Media has ignored. MSNBC did a 1 hour show on Kerry…and they had tons of films. The record is out there, and Swift Vet needs to put the focus on that.

I know that it clear that Kerry “gamed” the system in Vietnam, it’s very clear. Swift Vets need to focus on the lies that hurt Jon Ponder.

Summary:
A: We heard you, we understand….What do you want?....so we know how we can help you.
B: Swift Vets need to focus on the lies and actions by John Kerry that hurt Vets AND THEIR FAMILIES like said so well by Joe Ponder.
C: If you debate the media on THEIR agenda of reporting...you lose on YOUR agenda of communication to the public.

wolff
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you look at this

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8107

It may give some comfort to know that Scott Swett works for us as well as for Wintersoldier.

Have Fun!
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC,
Understand your concerns bro. I think you place too much importance on the Media. The media are like politicians, they do not lead, they respond. The people are always the initiators. The story is being told one person to another. It is the credibility of the friend, relative, or co-worker that causes someone to look at the story.
Our own revolution was created by printing leaflets and discussing politics in the coffeehouses of colonial America. The internet is the new printing press, our revolution is spreading at the speed of light around the world. The old media are a dinosaur, headed for extinction. We drive them now, look at how much they hate to even be talking about Kerry's past.
He's toast, don't worry yourself too much.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2, I watched a story put out about a drunk driving arrest from 20 years prior be put out the weekend before the 2000 Presidential election by the Media.

That weekend the Media focused on nothing but.
"Is it true"
"Should we care"
"What are the effects"
and the classic " Should we the media report on this story?...here is the story".

That organized media attack on the weekend before the election was not even an October surprise, it was in November. It cost Bush 3% points in the daily tracking polls. And resulted in the closest election.

The media and its lawyers then attempted to exclude Military Voters in Florida, and selectively recount certain votes while letting others stand.

There is a long way to go....and the good names of millions of Vietnam Veterans has not been cleared.

Sad thing...the very sad thing....is I thought after Desert Storm in 1992 the nation had healed....its is a real shame that Kerry who caused the harm in the 1960-70s has done it again. It his new reality of the moment...he is the hero, and all the rest of the Veterans are not. If he had integrity he would at least have flip flopped on Vietnam, but he has not....he still supports his false claims.
Jette
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly Komrade Kerry is the one who doesn't want to talk about Vietnam. Oh really!?!?!!?

HE is the one who injected it into the daily conversation of the Primary and General elections. HE is the one who made "Three Purple Hearts" the extra appendages of his name, HE is the one who displayed men like cattle to prop up his biography, and HE is the one who attempted to qualify himself to be President by serving three months on a boat 35 years ago.

Now that some scrutiny has been placed on the Massachusetts Migraine, he wants to change the subject. Listen to his former opponent from Massachusetts, Bill Weld, who says Kerry is a MASTER at it.

Nope, Kerry set up the scaffolding and put the spotlights on his "tour of duty," but conveniently forgetting the rest of his antics when he returned home. Now that all the lights have been turned on and things aren't going his way, he wants to close up shop and talk about something else. It's up to the Swiftees and everyone here to keep the bright lights of truth on Kerry. He said "Bring it On!" Now that we have, he's whimpering "Make it Stop!"

Can this country endure four years of a man who whines, cowers and complains when the going gets tough? I think not.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My Swift-Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions Reply with quote

integritycounts wrote:
My Swift Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions
I suggest a list of things that Kerry should do….perhaps there is another angle to do it…but the problem remains…to the public…the Mission of Swift Vets is not clear.

It is important that Swift Vets focus on claims by Kerry, after the war. His lies in Vietnam are obvious…O’Reilly concluded the same tonight, yet take the message Swift Vets got from O’Reilly tonight. The is something called the “so what?” test… O’Reilly feedback to O’Neill tonight was Kerry’s action in Vietnam have now gone into the “so what?” level. This is not so say that their chronicling in Unfit for Command, and the past 2 months of communication have been for not. Clearly it has been important. But that tank is about out of gas…in terms of media attention. I do think O’Neill understands the public attention span factor…I definitely think he does.

wolff

You are making valid points, but there is a secondary factor called "soak in".
Of course, those of us on here don't need any soak in, we are swimming in it. I'm also sure that even for some of us in here that the desire to move to the next subject, may be more pressing than those 'out there'.

But let's look at some time frames. The Swiftvet story has been hot for about 3 weeks. A lot of the media is already wanting to move on.
But we know that less than 750,000 books are in print.
The Swiftvet ads have been pretty much limited to swing states.
So, in fact, less than about 20% of the voting public has been directly "informed."
We are working with slow dessemination.

The fact that we want it to go faster, or we want everyone to "get it" right now, isn't an idea that's actually in our favor.

Why? Because, we still have 8 weeks before the election, and that short attention span is still in play. If we could get the message out to everyone in America by this weekend it would not be in our best interest.

We need to get the message out to the vast majority, just in time for the elections, and when it will be fresh in their minds before voting.
Not so early that they can be dissuaded before voting.

Having said all that, I still agree with you. I don't "wait" well... Laughing
jack white
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC:

Your points about the need to remain focused and not go off on unrelated tangents are on the mark.

However, I think there is a small time frame left in which this particular effort can help finish off Kerry. He will have his first debate in late September. Before then, he will sit down, probably with a media sycophant from MSNBC/CNBC/NBC and answer softball questions. Then, at the debate, he will brush off SBVT-related questions as "asked and answered."

Therefore, even if a small expenditure, the information about Kerry's meetings with the enemy while he was still in the Naval reserves need to get into the national bloodstream in the next few days.

John O'Neil is smart and patient, but I hope he does start to get this information out. He sort of did last night on O'Reilly, who brushed it aside quickly--because the MSM knows this is where Kerry will be sunk.

Yes, save the October surprise material for, well, October, but remember the next few weeks are criticial.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC, you made my point for me. The only way now for the media to have any impact is to launch a last minute surprise attack. Anything else is dissected and analyzed by all and the truth quickly emerges.

This is a new era of free speech.
One telling sign of this is the drastic decline in viewership for all the major networks and cable networks except Fox.
The subscriber base of all major newspapers is a fraction of what they once were.
Where are the people? I submit they are in front of their computers.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Swift-Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions Reply with quote

lrb111 wrote:
[quote="integritycountsbut there is a secondary factor called "soak in".

good point and good points by everyone who has posted back to this thread...thanks for the feedback all.

I have never been on a crew that suffered from "group think", I always try to lookout for something from the other direction, by my nature. I am incredibly impressed with O'Neill as he Skippers this boat, and I can not say I disagree with anything he has done.

My concern is that of a move to suppress the story by the Media, I agree with Hammer that the change is moving, that the untold story of the Swift Vets is that the first Ad was exchanged over the internet a huge percentage. Clearly that points to internet. 68% of voters said they had seen or heard of the Ad. 50% saying they had seen it. That is way way way more than watch News on TV or Cable. It was the viewing on the Internet.

The reason why I wrote the post was to bring up what I was seeing, after I said it I feel better. I could not be more impressed with how John O'Neill is steering the boat.

My summary is the what I will say again.....I think the first part is the most important, and will help stop the media from moving on without asking Kerry the real questions.

Summary:
A: We heard you, we understand….What do you want?....so we know how we can help you.
B: Swift Vets need to focus on the lies and actions by John Kerry that hurt Vets AND THEIR FAMILIES like said so well by Joe Ponder.
C: If you debate the media on THEIR agenda of reporting...you lose on YOUR agenda of communication to the public.

Again thanks for the replies back...I take your points back very well.
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this, too - another item completely ignored by the media:

John Kerry's foreign policy experience amounts to several meetings with Communist Viet Cong party members in France.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianC wrote:
Consider this, too - another item completely ignored by the media:

John Kerry's foreign policy experience amounts to several meetings with Communist Viet Cong party members in France.

You have to give him a little more credit that that! Please include Daniel Ortega and the Sandinistas. Laughing
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Swift-Vet Grumblings and Thoughts and Notions Reply with quote

integritycounts wrote:

Next, I have to say the focus of Swift Vets as evidenced on this message board is dissolving. Granted this message board is not what O’Neill is doing and I don’t know all the behind scenes…so given that I will continue to grumble.

You make a point then refute it yourself in the next sentence.

Please do not suggest that the public sentiment expressed in this forum necessarily reflects the position of SBVT.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not refuting myself, I was trying to talk about the message board as being independent, If I would have removed the word Swift Vets from the sentence you quoted it would have been more clear.

Most of the original sentence is an attempt to avoid confusion...but I guess that attempt failed.

My rewrite "Next, I have to say the focus of this message board is starting to dissolve a bit. Granted this message board is not what O’Neill is doing and I don’t know any of the behind scenes…so given that I will continue to grumble. And yes, these grays are from worrying"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: