SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Admiral Hoffman's Letter To The Editor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scrooge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Admiral Hoffman's Letter To The Editor Reply with quote

Thought y'all might be interested in this. It appeared in the Richmond Times Dispatch (Richmond, VA) this morning on the Editorial Pages.

Scrooge
------------------------------------------
Swift Boat Vet Fires Back

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Sep 7, 2004

Editor, Times-Dispatch:

Regarding recent coverage of the Swift boat ads, including that in The New York Times, The Times published a story referring to the then Captain Hoffmann and CDR Adrian Lonsdale. It noted, "But the book, [Douglas] Brinkley's Tour of Duty, while it burnished [John] Kerry's reputation, portrayed the two men as reckless leaders, whose military approach had led to the death of countless sailors and innocent civilians."

Heretofore, I have never publicly referred to the men under my command who were killed in action, by numbers or names, in respect for and fear of rekindling the anguish suffered by their next of kin. However, I am now compelled to respond to these callous and irresponsible words implying that Lonsdale and I were accountable for the deaths of "countless sailors and innocent civilians."

According to Webster, "countless" means: "too many to count, innumerable." Statistics for the entire force of 3,600 men in the one-year period from May 1, 1968, to April 21, 1969, show otherwise: KIA Coastal Division 11 (Kerry's Unit), 6; KIA Coastal Squadron One (All Swift boats - 800 men), 17; KIA all other TF 115 subordinate commands, 12; total KIA Task Force 115 (one year), 29.

Thus, 17 KIAs from 800 men, or 2.1 percent in one full year, can hardly be described as "countless deaths." Twenty-nine KIAs for the entire task force is eight-tenths of 1 percent.

The inescapable fact remains that I was accountable for the death of every man who died under my command. The loss of one man is a tragedy. There is nothing more agonizing and difficult than searching for words to comfort the next of kin when any one of one's men dies fighting for honor and country; yet I make no apology for attacking the enemy in his redoubt - or in this case, the Viet Cong sanctuary. That was my task. That was my job.

I find it troubling, however, when so-called objective journalists, who spare no effort or resource to discredit our members, do not apply the same scrutiny to the relatively few Kerry Swift boat supporters (currently approximately 260 to eight in our favor). Collectively, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth knew LTJG Kerry in his abbreviated tour in Vietnam, of only four months, 12 days, better than any other source. Our men were there for the full 12-months tour, or more unless "medivac-ed" earlier. They were in the same rivers, canals, patrols, firefights, and living quarters side by side with John Kerry. We served our Navy and country honorably and with distinction, including the Presidential Unit Citation. We deserve to be heard.

Roy F. Hoffmann.
Chesterfield.
EODARMY
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks to ADM. Hoffman! Reply with quote

This truely is a cultural war. Thanks to ADM. Hoffman!
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Admiral Hoffman,

Sir, with all due respect, these "so-called objective journalists" are not objective. They have no experience with the military. The vast majority did not serve. They actually hate the military. Why, because these pretenders think it is their pens that defend this nation. In their hearts they know that it is the military -- the men and women who serve who are the true defenders of this nation, our protectors, the providers of our security.

They must do everything in their power to cloud this truth in order to elevate their own importance. I have always viewed our government as being three branches and the military which protects it all.

The media is often referred to as the fourth column. The desire to ascend to a level of importance with the government and the military. They can only accomplish this desire by discrediting or weakening the military at every opportunity.

You Admiral Hoffman are a man of honor. The members of the main stream media do not begin to comprehend the concept of honor.
NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Admiral Hoffman, for your courage,
integrity and service to our country.
RV
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This is a culture war. If Kerry and his antiwar liberal extremists win, the soldiers now fighting the war on terror in Afghanistan and Iraq risk being defamed the same way the Vietnam Veterans were.

We need to make sure Kerry loses for them.

A tickertape parade is what they deserve, not spit and chants of "babykillers"

We gotta win this one for our boys in the military.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jataylor11 wrote:
Dear Admiral Hoffman,

Sir, with all due respect, these "so-called objective journalists" are not objective. They have no experience with the military. The vast majority did not serve. They actually hate the military. Why, because these pretenders think it is their pens that defend this nation. In their hearts they know that it is the military -- the men and women who serve who are the true defenders of this nation, our protectors, the providers of our security.

The Rosetta Stone of MSM (aka Fogosphere) enumerations:

"Countless" - translation: a few; and we didnt bother actually counting.
"Many" - translation: - one; who happened to be on hand for an interview.
"Some" - translation: none; story fabricated by Jason Blair types.

-- FDL
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On occasion there are articles or letters that I read after which I just sit and contemplate for a while because of the aura of gravitas with which they glow. Admiral Hoffman's is exactly such a letter. It is profound in its exposure of betrayal and there is no better reason to not vote for John Kerry.

I can only imagine the shock of having one with whom you served urinate on your honor, and that of your fellow vets, alive and lost.

How on Earth can anyone even consider voting for such a reprobate?
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I had to look up the word "reprobate" but I agree fully with drjohn.

- instigator and now "the tease"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: