SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's Reserve Status in '70/'71
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmyWife wrote:
I got up and did some chores inthe middle of my last post, only to find that air_vet had answered the question. I'm not sure I get what being an officer had to do with it...but that's OK. Smile

Enlisted folks get a 214 at the end of EACH enlistment.

Officers don't have "enlistments" in the same sense. They only get one 214 when their active duty is over.

Kerry got a 214 when he completed his enlisted OCS student status. He got a second 214 when he finished his extended active duty tour (EAD).

A 214 is just a statement of end of active duty. Reservist (officers or enlisted) not on EAD don't get 214s.

Hope that helps explain further.
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting that Kerry bailed (asked to be released from active duty) as soon as his rank was raised to Lt. Within days.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
ArmyWife wrote:
I got up and did some chores inthe middle of my last post, only to find that air_vet had answered the question. I'm not sure I get what being an officer had to do with it...but that's OK. Smile

Enlisted folks get a 214 at the end of EACH enlistment.

Officers don't have "enlistments" in the same sense. They only get one 214 when their active duty is over.

Kerry got a 214 when he completed his enlisted OCS student status. He got a second 214 when he finished his extended active duty tour (EAD).

A 214 is just a statement of end of active duty. Reservist (officers or enlisted) not on EAD don't get 214s.

Hope that helps explain further.

Thank you! I learn something new every day, and didn't know that enlisted folks got them at the end of each enlistment.

I'm afraid I only know it from the officer point-of-view. My hubby is an officer, and he got one DD 214 when he left the Regular Army, then another DD 214 this Spring when his Reserve unit came back from Iraq.
I didn't mean to insinuate that Reserve folks would get a DD 214 just for a short amount of active time, like a 10 day AT, so it's good that you brought up the term EAD to clarify it.

I'm just struggling for truth here, wherever I can. Kerry has said so much garbage over the years that it's almost more than some people can believe. I want to be careful that we only make accusations that we can really back up.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
Here is my understanding of his records.

He signed up on February 18, 1966 for 6 years. On the same day he signed up for OCS.. The contract said he would have to serve 3 yrs active from the time of his commission. He was commissioned on December 16, 1966. He was obligated to serve in the ready reserve for the amount of time that when added to his active duty would add up to 5 yrs. The balance of the commitment would be served in standby reserve.

He was released from Active duty on 1-1-70 and placed in the ready reserve on 1-3-70. At that time he was given credit for having served active duty for 3 yr 10 months and 16 days. There were two entries. The first gave him credit for 3 yrs 00 months, and then there was another entry for the additional time which totalled together came to 3 yr 10 mo 16 dys.

He went into standby reserve on 7-1-72 and was discharged on 2-16-78. 12 years later? Why?

Also, it should be noted that his discharge papers shown on the website are not the discharge papers from the end of his committment. They are papers which discharged him from one type of reserve status to then go into the other status. His actual discharge from the military is not shown.
Why?

I think you've got it mostly right.

If I am doing the math right...all of 1973 thru 1977 = 5 years, plus 6 months of 1972 and 1 1/2 months of 1978 = 5 years, 7.5 months. Not quite 12 years, but the why is interesting.

This looks like the final discharge to me:
http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Honorable_Discharge_From_Reserve.pdf

I'm not getting what other discharge you expected to see...

Why did he stay in the Standby Reserve so long? Why does anybody? It wasn't costing him anything. We know he had huge political aspirations, even back then, so maybe he thought it would look good.

Now, if I were cynical to the point of being evil Twisted Evil, I might wonder if he was not discharged because he was under investigation for his 1970/71 activities. He would have to have been notified that he was under investigation and it would be another document we can't see without him signing Form 180...but hey, that seems like an extreme long shot. Somebody would have leaked it by now, right?

Since I'm not evil, I'm going to conclude that he stayed in so long because he's a patriot. Yep, that's the high road to take. Smile
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. You are right about it being less than 12 yrs. And you are also right about that discharge certificate. I had forgotten that one. I was referring to one I saw which discharged him from active duty. It said his service was honorable but no certificate was issued...presumably because he had not yet completed his obligation. He still had to complete the balance of the 6 yr commitment.

I completely misspoke because I was doing it from memory. The document I referred to as the discharge was actually the DD214 which states that no discharge certificate was issued at the time of separation. It is on the second page of that document.

I am getting crossed eyed from looking at this stuff! I think I need to print it all out and put it in a binder in order to keep it straight! Smile
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: