SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS Bush Memos

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: CBS Bush Memos Reply with quote

"Memos" presented by CBS/60 Minutes as allegedly from the early 1970's on Bush National Guard service are likely fraudulent. They are apparently in a proportional font.

Is this going to be the straw that breaks 60 Minutes', CBS's and the Boston Globe's backs?

Proportionally-spaced fonts are a modern development [clarification: for people in the field, see below]. Yes, the MSM is negligent and ignorant enough to not realize this.

The story is at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/08/60II/main641984.shtml

The early 1970's documents are at

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardmay4.pdf
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardmay19.pdf
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardaugust1.pdf
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardaugust18.pdf

-- FDL

The sixty-first minute

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/007760.php

Today's big Boston Globe story on President Bush's Air National Guard service is based on memos to file from the personal records of the late Lieutenant Colonel Jerry B. Killian: "Bid cited to boost Bush in Guard."

The Globe story is itself based on last night's 60 Minutes report: "New questions on Bush Guard duty." The online version of the 60 Minutes story has links to the memos. Killian died in 1984; CBS states that it "consulted a handwriting analyst and document expert who believes the material is authentic." Reader Tom Mortensen writes:

Every single one of the memos to file regarding Bush's failure to attend a physical and meet other requirements is in a proportionally spaced font, probably Palatino or Times New Roman. In 1972 people used typewriters for this sort of thing (especially in the military), and typewriters used mono-spaced fonts.

The use of proportionally spaced fonts did not come into common use for office memos until the introduction high-end word processing systems from Xerox and Wang, and later of laser printers, word processing software, and personal computers. They were not widespread until the mid to late 90's.

Before then, you needed typesetting equipment, and that wasn't used for personal memos to file. Even the Wang and other systems that were dominant in the mid 80's used mono-spaced fonts. I doubt the TANG had typesetting or high-end 1st generation word processing systems.

I am saying these documents are forgeries, run through a copier for 15 generations to make them look old. This should be pursued aggressively.

Admin note: Topic edited

Last edited by fortdixlover on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDL,

Proportionally-spaced fonts are NOT a modern development. Perusal of old typeset manuscripts will prove that.

However, access to proportionally-spaced fonts by anyone outside the typesetting world IS a modern development.

Hate to pick nits, but let's be careful with this.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
FDL,

Proportionally-spaced fonts are NOT a modern development. Perusal of old typeset manuscripts will prove that.

However, access to proportionally-spaced fonts by anyone outside the typesetting world IS a modern development.

Hate to pick nits, but let's be careful with this.

I should have said that proportionally-spaced fonts in the hands of people in the field writing ordinary memos is a new development - starting around the mid to late 1980's with relatively inexpensive devices (such as the HP iiP laserjet printer) being introduced.

In the mid to late 1980's, laser printers were as expensive as cars. Even the most inexpensive one of 1989 (The HP LaserJet iiP) cost near $1000 on the street. A complete history of HP's early lasers is at http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/feature_stories/2004/printerstimeline.pdf ("Twenty Years of Innovation: HP LaserJet and Inkjet Printers 1984-2004" )

What are the odds that National Guard people in 1972 were typesetting their memos?

I have looked at the memo pdf's as linked above. If they're from the early 1970's then I'm the Mata Hari.

My prediction: there's going to be hell to pay by the MSM, courtesy the Blogosphere.

Has Jason Blair been given a job at CBS?

-- FDL

Last edited by fortdixlover on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT IS A FRAUD!!!!

Take a look at the document on August 18th. He uses a superscript "th" after the 18 date. This was NEVER accomplished on a typewriter to my knowledge. Did typewriters have a superscript "TH" in 1972?
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: thinking, thinking, thinking Reply with quote

They "are liars" they are, "nut case "liberals"", it is a "mental

problem", and when caught in a lie, a fraud, a whatever

they just smile and do it the next "nite lie" or meet the "piss"

or "OLD MONK BURNING".

JOHN KERRY IS THE TARGET, THESE THINGS ARE KILLING

THEMSELFS , LET THEM HAVE AT IT.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomorelies wrote:
IT IS A FRAUD!!!!

Take a look at the document on August 18th. He uses a superscript "th" after the 18 date. This was NEVER accomplished on a typewriter to my knowledge. Did typewriters have a superscript "TH" in 1972?

Excellent pickup...

The August 18, 1973 document ( http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BushGuardaugust18.pdf ) shows a superscript "th" after the 187 as in "I don't have any feedback from 187th"....Did typewriters have a superscript "th" in tiny letters smaller than the letters in the main text in 1972?

A typewriter with two character sizes in '72! Either the typist had an IBM selectric and exchanged print balls for evey memo...or they had an advanced typewriter with "th" superscripts that came from ... CAMBODIA... Twisted Evil

Let's save these documents before they "disappear" from the CBS News website!

-- FDL
Wit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: When did word processing come out? Reply with quote

I was an E9 in 1973. My unit was tasked to write a new curriculum. This was going to be submitted to CNO office for final approval. To make the material look better we bought a word processor. This word processor cost the Government $60,000. We had to have waves go to school just to learn how to use the word processor. The only thing this word processor was used for was the final draft that was sent to CNO Office.
In 1981 I was working for IBM and the development of the first IBM PC. The first units did not have word processing. I don’t think that WYSISYG ( What You See Is What You Get) word processing came about until about 1985.
I do know that when I had to write memos in 1982, I would hand write them and have the secretary type them up.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: When did word processing come out? Reply with quote

Wit wrote:
I was an E9 in 1973. My unit was tasked to write a new curriculum. This was going to be submitted to CNO office for final approval. To make the material look better we bought a word processor. This word processor cost the Government $60,000. We had to have waves go to school just to learn how to use the word processor. The only thing this word processor was used for was the final draft that was sent to CNO Office.

I'll bet the $60k word processor didn't do proportional fonts and superscripts on the output side.

I've used "word processor" programs in the mid 1970's on an IBM370/165 at college, but THE PRINTERS were IBM selectrics (i.e., the terminals) that were fixed-font due to the PRINT BALL mechanism having the same limitations as a standard typewriter with its print hammers.

The issue is ... if these memos are from the early 1970's, why are they printed in proportional fonts with superscripts?

Was this technology, massively expensive then and generally limited to professional typesetting professionals and shops, available to National Guard commanders then? (And if so...for what reason?)

I doubt it.

-- FDL

Last edited by fortdixlover on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Papa Yolk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Fake? Reply with quote

Not proof of MSM fraud, but proof of MSM blinded by their biases if feed fraudulent docs. If fake docs, the Fed. should investigate.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake? Reply with quote

Papa Yolk wrote:
Not proof of MSM fraud, but proof of MSM blinded by their biases if feed fraudulent docs. If fake docs, the Fed. should investigate.

You forgot to mention gross, unadulterated negligence.

-- FDL
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please continue this discussion in the following ongoing topic..

Feel free to copy/paste your observations there.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8487

This topic will be moved to Geedunk

Thanks
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: