SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulklenk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Word 4.0? Not just line breaks -- but char. alignment, too! Reply with quote

YouGottaBeKidding is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Not only are line breaks ABSOLUTELY identical to a Word document with 1.25" margins and size 12 Times New Roman...

...but also the characters from line to line ALIGN themselves exactly like a Word document. The periods in each sentence and letters in each word appear EXACTLY below the same characters in each document.

This can't be a coincidence. I have a lot of word processing and some typesetting experience, and have a very, very sensitive eye for these details.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy I'm doing the happy dance around my computer.
Rocking Swiftvets!
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,

Write to the Media! All of them!
hijole
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some who has done a lot of typing on typewriters, old-fashioned word processors, and in current word processing programs, I'd like to point out the dead giveaway.

The standard in the 60s, 70s, and 80s (and well into the 90s) was two spaces after a period. That was the professional standard, and everyone used it. Email changed things, but just about any typed document from the 1970s, and certainly official correspondence (even a memo of this type), would have had two spaces after each period. There's only one space after each period here.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

If you have time, would you look at all four of my PDFs and compare them to the alleged official documents?

I have many years of basic dtp experience, but not professional. I do professional word processing and have been working with proportional print since WordStar on CP/M (when you had to patch the printer driver!) and I have some experience with fonts (have designed a couple or three special-purpose fonts) but am definitely not an expert.
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijole wrote:
As some who has done a lot of typing on typewriters, old-fashioned word processors, and in current word processing programs, I'd like to point out the dead giveaway.

The standard in the 60s, 70s, and 80s (and well into the 90s) was two spaces after a period. That was the professional standard, and everyone used it. Email changed things, but just about any typed document from the 1970s, and certainly official correspondence (even a memo of this type), would have had two spaces after each period. There's only one space after each period here.

Good catch -- check out these other docs http://www.usatoday.com/news/bushdocs/2-Discharge.pdf -- most of them have two spaces after each period!
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijole wrote:

Isn't that a trait of the the operator? I was taught the same thing but sometimes forget to do it!

Tom
truthhunter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Great Work Everyone! Reply with quote

Great work everyone! As for myself, I have never written a letter to a news outlet or talk show before, but early this morning when this thread really caught fire, I got off my butt and emailed Drudge and some other media outlets. It looks like we are making a difference as the media gets slammed with people from this board demanding this story be reported.

Let's not stop now. I would encourage everyone to email and or call at least one major media outlet demading this story be investigated. We need to keep the pressure on.
hijole
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Isn't that a trait of the the operator? I was taught the same thing but sometimes forget to do it!

Tom

Yes, it's an operator trait -- but you don't think this guy was doing his own typing, do you? In 1972? It was menial labor, relegated to women back then (I can say that, speaking as a woman who has typed for a living). Anyone who typed for a living was using two spaces.
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally Agreed! My secretary, and later, executive assistant is who taught me. God rest her soul.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and gals,

There are TWO spaces after the period in these documents. I know 'cause I typed copies. I use one space only, but most people still use two. I figured that two were used, and that's correct.

It doesn't look like two because these are proportional spaces so they are very narrow but there definitely are two spaces, except after on of the periods following a number in the memo with four numbered items.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on Drudge at http://www.drudgereport.com/

Top of the page above the banner. Developing story....

Quote:
'60 Minutes' Documents on Bush Might Be Fake /// 32-year-old documents produced Wednesday by CBSNEWS 60 MINS on Bush's guard service may have been forged using a current word processing program // typed using a proportional font, not common at that time, and they used a superscript font feature found in today's Microsoft Word program, Internet reports claim... Developing...

Interested
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
Guys and gals,

There are TWO spaces after the period in these documents. I know 'cause I typed copies. I use one space only, but most people still use two. I figured that two were used, and that's correct.

It doesn't look like two because these are proportional spaces so they are very narrow but there definitely are two spaces, except after on of the periods following a number in the memo with four numbered items.
I'll second this - I always use 2 spaces after a period, and in my test re-typing of the memos I did so and it matched 99%+
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh was included in the media blast of over 300 media contacts
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the dead giveaway is the superscript and the obvious way the typist was trying to overcome the automatic superscript put in by a word processor - but she missed a couple and they gave her away. I worked in a state-supported university here in Texas in the late sixties and early seventies and no typewriter we had would put in an automatic superscript. I am assuming, but just a guess, that the TANG probably had similar typewriters to what we used, and, to me, the superscript is a dead giveaway, but then there seem to be lots of other factors pointing to these being forgeries, as the way they align with Word Documents when they are typed on Word. Also, I think if these were copied over and over again, copies made from copies, reapeatedly to make them look older, then the ones on the CBSNews website could be 10th, 11th, or 100th generation copies of copies, and there might be a bit of discrepency in perfect alignment with copies done on Word. Just a thought.

Also, I read on another thread that the White House released these documents AFTER THEY WERE SENT TO THEM BY CBSNEWS!! Is this correct and is there no independent verification by the White House of the authenticity of these documents???

Debbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 13 of 67

Jump to: