SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research material removed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief - I was digging around over there and found a bunch of monthly summaries during 69 that listed Market Time operations and the PCF actions. Would you like to see them? I don't know how much you have on your plate.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
sniper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief, I guess several of us had the same idea. I just did a search on pcf-3 and midway down the first page came up mar. 69 summary report. The actual file name is 13120215001a.pdf and the incident is on Pg. 16 of the report, Pg. 19 of the pdf file. You know the funny thing? This report is incredibly detailed, covering pretty much all the costal Navy, I think ( sorry, Im not Ex-military ) yet, the Mar 12 incident is well covered, yet nary a whisper about the Mar 13 incident......there certainly were operations, just no mention of PCF-94..... Makes you wonder why they would document the activities of PCF's 25,54, and 59 on the 13th, but not our intrepid hero's?

Anybody else smell a rat? ( forget that, stupid observation!)
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llano wrote:
Nice job.

Is there anyway to find out the unknown OiC of PCF 94? Who might it have been? And when are you going to post the documentation, because as the MSM says the naval documentation is always right. Wink

I'll bet it was LTJG Salinas. His crew was the relief crew on the 94 that ran the boat when Kerry and his crew were resting. See Joe Muharsky's website - http://www.mwweb.com/ndc/SwiftBoats/flagday.htm
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Collection' is "United States Naval Forces, Vietnam Monthly Historical Summaries, 1966-1972, 1973"

If that doesn't do it for you, let me know. Tell me what you are trying to find and I will query that thing all night long.

BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I second the big thanks to Navy Wife for opening the flood gates of Naval documentation. You are a jewel.

Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this chronology which was on Kerry's website?

1 MAR 1969 Bay Hap River
Four Swiftboats conducted operation "U-HAUL," which involved towing fuel bladders up the Bay Hap River to Cai Nuoc. The units received light fire during the operation.

10 MAR 1969 Cua Lon River
Four swiftboats, including PCF94, carried troops and surveyed an area where other boats were ambushed two days earlier. No incidents occurred.

11 MAR 1969 Cua Lon River
Three swiftboats cleared the Cua Lon River of barricades. The mission received no hostile fire and no casualties were reported.

12 MAR 1969 Cua Lon River
Four swiftboats proceeded up Cau Lon with 20 troops on board. The boats encountered hostile small arms fire, which was suppressed. A short time later, two or three mines detonated and the boats came under heavy automatic weapons fire from both banks. Unable to suppress the fire, the boats moved south to extract the troops and called in air support. After the area received artillery and air strikes, the boats returned and inserted the troops, who observed, but could not capture 9 Vet Cong troops. One female was captured, taken to the USS Washtenaw and later returned.

13 MAR 1969 Bay Hap River; Dong Cung Canal
Four swiftboats were engaged in moving Mobile Strike Force troops on the Bay Hap River and the Dong Cung Canal. Moving down the river in the afternoon following a day of heavy fighting, a mine detonated underneath PCF 3, lifting it 2-3 feet out of the water and, at the same time, a second mine detonated near PCF94, wounding Kerry and knocking an Army advisor on PCF94 into the water. Meanwhile the boats began receiving heavy fire from both sides of the river. Kerry, who had received shrapnel wounds and hurt his right arm, directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire while he pulled the Army advisor back into his boat. PCF 94 then returned to aid PCF 3 and towed the boat down the river to safety. Kerry received the Bronze Star for this action.
Printer Friendly Version
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12 March incident is not news. It is in ToD on P. 301-304, where Kerry describes VC the flying dog.

Hurley, one of Kerry's legal mouthpieces, often used the 14 March damage report to "prove" that the boats had taken heavy fire. Whenever O'Neill is opposite him, he always gives the page reference in ToD and explains that the damage occurred on 12 March. It's been a part of O'Neill's debunking from the start, but I don't see it referenced in UFC.

This was discussed here before:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8027&highlight=windows+damage+12
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8027&highlight=windows+damage+12

That thread looked like the 28 Feb incident to me. But then again, what do I know?

- instigator

Heh, heh. Embarassed Reading over it, it was - I hijacked it into a 13 March thread...

I conpuse easily when I don't get my nap. But the thing is, as we discover "new" information, we need to not get excited over what may already be known.

I'd never caught the 12 March ambush damage until I heard O'Neill bring it up. For some time in early August people were debating whether the 14 March damage report was from PCF-3, not PCF-94. O'Neill knew all along... I don't know why, with all the time he has on his hands, he doesn't come here and enlighten us...
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Why PCF-51 and PCF-94 had damage! Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

Chenoweth finally got PCF-23 running again and went to the mouth of the canal, where he waited 3 hours for the other boats to return. This was a rare incident, where one PCF was by itself. The only reason was an emergency situation, plus PCF-23 wasn't very far from a friendly village where our troops were.

My guess is that PCF-23 would have actually waited at the village (Dong Cung), as opposed to sitting out in the middle of the river for three hours.

There were just seven American advisors in that village, and three of them, along with perhaps 40 of the RF/PF troops, were with the other Swifts (and Rassmann and the Nungs) up that nearby canal.

Doug
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why PCF-51 and PCF-94 had damage! Reply with quote

deleted

NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it stored chief? You can't simply upload a photo to the forum... it must be hosted somewhere on a server that's publicly accessible.

Perhaps a volunteer?
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: