SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many of us got "Captains Mast" and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: How many of us got "Captains Mast" and why? Reply with quote

How about a list of the silly things we got the captians mast for

and compare the little things we did to get hauled before the "mast"

and the things Lt. Kerry has done.

No. 1. on the list , we got caught at the marble monntian q-hut behind

the station hospital were we had to stay to get in air quick

with a 5th of Jack Daniels my brother managed to pack good

enough to get it to DaNang in tact. Only thing was the "mail"

clerk ratted and the "officers" came on "christmas eve"

just as we were about to "do the drinking thing" and they

"took it" for the trial, only thing is we followed them and

"they drank it and had a good time", and we got fined

$50.00 each and told not again.

THEN ALL THE OFFICER STEAKS WENT MISSING FOR

THE DANANG AREA FOR ONE MONTH, AND THE PARTY

ON CHINA BEECH WAS A RUNNING THING FOR A WHILE

WITH O' SO GOOD STEAKS

Thing is we got our asses in the sling for little s--- and there he goes

no CAPTIANS MAST YET.
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral Dan Gallery, in one of his books, told of a young Yeoman, a shoe clerk from Nebraska, who was told to announce Captain's Mast. Soon, the PA blared; "Now hear this, the Captain will say Mass at 0900 hours!"
Took a while to calm down the Chaplain.
Redhawk
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Once in a country far far away... Reply with quote

I came close one time. Had been drinking with a buddy in Germany and got hit in a car accident on the way back to the Kaserne. The German driver accepted full responsibility. The German cops were going off shift and didn't want to write another report. Nobody injured. And we did not call the MPs.

Next morning, our batallion exec called me in and asked me why I had not called the MPs. He had been looking for an excuse to nail me. I asked, "Sir, do you really want another 'serious incident report' against this unit?" The major got a little red and said, "That will be all lieutenant."
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made E-5 twice (and, by default, E-4 twice) ... but I don't remember if I had an "official" captain's mast. It was pretty informal ... it was 'agreed' that I wouldn't sew on the extra stripe I would have gotten in 30 days. I just re-took the test, and passed it again.

Largely the result of staying awake for about 38 hours due to a working party , a watch, another working party, another watch, and then being scheduled for flight deck duty. I was smart enough not to pull one more stretch on the flight deck ... and was not exactly polite telling the maintenance officer "no", as a result of that.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sea daddy on my first ship who taught me how not to get
caught. It's a matter of not pulling your stuff within sight of the
flag pole mostly.

Very Happy
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Conduct Medal;
Three years of undiscovered crime.
Redhawk
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my E4 promotion canned. Punched out a chief at a Navy Air Wing mess hall in GITMO..that was the upside. The down side is I couldn't show my face at the mess hall for the rest of my tour and had to eat boxed sandwich's and C-Rats
Urah
Semper fi
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we army types brag about our Article 15's? LOL!! The brass never had a sense of humor, especially when they were getting fragged for dissing the enlisted...
vasubvet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the USS W. H. Bates (SSN 680) in '73 when we were at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock for Post Shakedown Availablity. Me and a couple of other shipmates were drinking and on the way back to the living barge we were on while the ship was in drydaock, we decided to participate in a popular past time. We streaked the gate. The guard didn't care, we properly identified ourselves and we were all wearing the required clothing -- hardhats!! Well, when the old man got wind of it, we got convicted of Art 137 (bringing discredit upon the Naval service while identifiying oneself as a military MEMBER (you had to show your ID card to get in the gate)). Got busted, fined, and restricted. Best laugh of my career, but the ol'e lady thought otherwise.

FTGC (SS) Ret.
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Oil King. That ol' U.S. Navy 180 Proof Grain Alcohol that you clean the Fuel Oil Centrifuge Testing equipment with, when cut 50\50 with that genuine Navy Grapefruit Juice, bought me a ticket to see the Old Man..... Rolling Eyes I made E-4 twice. Laughing
Sooner_1938
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not something to brag about but I held our squadron record for Captain's Masts. Even had a Summary Court once for Misappropriation of a Government Vehicle (well, I needed a ride into downtown Dago and it was handy. Very Happy .

If I remember correctly, I had 11 Masts during my 4-year hitch. Every time I went before the old man (who was a great big scary-looking dude nicknamed "Moose", he'd look at me, roll his eyes, and say, "Well, what was it this time, shitbird?" I was always amazed that I didn't get, at a minimum, an administrative discharge. Most of my Masts were for minor offenses, such as getting caught sneaking over the fence at night. I was a free spirit and refused to accept the fact that the Navy could tell me what to do after duty hours. Besides, all those fine-lookin' sweet things were waitin' in TJ. Laughing

Jim from Texas
VA-115, AO3 (Upon discharge)
NAS Miramar
1955-1959
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got busted, although a little Restriction and Extra Duty was applied. Kicker was it was for an absolutely rediculous reason, but somehow I managed to avoid (with the help of a great Platoon Sgt) the full wrath of my 1Sg (the dand CO would just nod his head and go along with him).
Typical of most offenses they involved over indulgence in Alcholic beverages, later found out I was allergic and just a little bit would turn me into either a raging a(you know), Superman or both. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Only time I had any Rank taken was going back on Active Duty from the Guard.
ASW Tech
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sent out to the line to replace the PA (public address) amplifier in one of the birds (SH2D Seasprite helo), and to take a couple of new guys with to show how it was done. They were almost as much in awe of me as I was with myself…I’d been a tech for three whole years!

Since the PA amp is under the co-pilots seat, the best place to sit while working on it is IN to co-pilots seat. So I’m sitting in the seat with my flight deck helmet on and the two green airmen are standing on the ramp outside the door watching me and learning how to replace the amp.

PA amps have to be tested after being installed of course, and this provides a good opportunity to scare the crap out of anybody else that happens to be working on the line. (Not as good as test firing the retro launcher on a P-3, but pretty good). So I did what was expected and yelled a few choice obscenities over the PA, thereby proving that the new amp was working just fine (among other things).

Now in order to fire up the amp, you need to turn on the bird’s battery switch which is almost all alone on the overhead console, and I had done so to test the amp. When we were done and it was time to go back to the shop, I glanced up, sighted the battery switch (I’d done this a thousand times you know), reached up, and flipped the switch off.

I unhooked the audio lead and started taking my helmet off and to my surprise, the two airmen started running backwards away from the bird and looking (with alarmed expressions) at the ground. I gave them the standard what the hell are you doing (palms up, confused look on my face) expression, and it was at about that time that I saw a lake of jet fuel rapidly spreading out under the bird.

Yea, the fuel dump switch is right next to the battery switch on the overhead. Never mind that it has a huge black and yellow striped caution box around it…I was too cool to give it much thought. That lake of fuel was big enough to cover the ramp under the bird I was working on and the two adjacent ones. Crash/Fire came and washed it down, and nothing bad happened.

Not many words were spoken at my “visit” with the captain. I just stood at attention for several minutes. After letting me ponder my fate for awhile, he said “You’re not going to do that again, are you?” No sir I said.
Battleship Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45/45 (for all non-squids, 45 days restriction/45 days extra duty), lost 1 stripe, and lost some pay for "public urination" in Dunoon, Scotland. Crawling between pubs, I had to go..........in front of what apparently was the local police station.........What a dumb ass!!! Shore patrol takes me back to the ship and a couple days later the Captain is "explaining" how his family came from Scotland and he doesn't appreciate some low-life sailor pissing on his homeland!!!..........No sense of humor Captain Hastie!

There were a couple other masts, but you get the idea.........Hey, I've been sober for 18 1/2 years now so I'm getting better!!!

Bob

http://ussiowa.org/
http://holyloch.com/
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see eye to a Chief and it led to a conflict with a LT. I was an E-5 frocked and went up for disrespect. I got defrocked and busted to e-3. I spent 3 days bread and water in the 32nd street naval station brig.

I later made the stripes back and to E-6, I was in 11 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: