SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safe in the Air Guard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Safe in the Air Guard? Reply with quote

While on vacation in Denver last June, my family and I visited the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum. In the museum is an exhibit on the Colorado Air National Guard.

Included in this exhibit are newspaper clippings from significant events in the history of the Colorado Air Guard. I took digital photos (shown below) of two clippings that caught my eye.

Doesn't everyone know that being in the Air Guard during the Vietnam War was a safe haven from combat? How could it be that members of the Colorado Air Guard were lost in action during this war? Didn't George W. Bush join an Air Guard unit flying F-102s knowing that it was impossible for him to see action in Vietnam?

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, real safe duty.

Like flying a dump truck under certain conditions.

Quote:
"The F-102 claimed the lives of many pilots, including a number stationed at Ellington during Bush's tenure. Of the 875 F-102A production models that entered service, 259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 Air Force and ANG pilots."

259 out of 875.

Real safe duty.
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average person doesn't understand that flying high-performance jet fighters is inherently unsafe, even in peacetime. While flying an F-102 in the States during the Vietnam War might not have been as risky as serving on a Swift Boat in the Mekong Delta, it was certainly more risky than going to Oxford and participating in anti-war protests.

I also discovered something else I didn't know. According to the book Air War - Vietnam, F102s were based in Vietnam and Thailand in the air defense role until 1968.

Last edited by grandforker on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys probably know this already, but the F-102 was very difficult to fly, and thus very dangerous. So many of these planes and crew were lost that the Pentagon decided to stop using them in Vietnam. It is only because of this decision that Bush's unit was not deployed. The Pentagon had stopped using the F-102, and Bush wasn't checked out on the new aircraft.

By all (non-forged) reports, the President performed very well flying the F-102, by the way.

This latest crap about the President and the ANG/Air Force thing; is the DNC serious? They are actually going to hang the campaign on that??

I think they must have their auto-pilot set on *self-destruct* Maybe they are the campaign equivalent of suicide bombers---maybe they just want to sacrifice Kerry to clear the way for a Billary run...

I have never seen a campaign so bizarre.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're goin' down without a net, I guess you grab for anything you can find.

It all does truly boggle the mind. They're in a death struggle and they know it. The Democratic party has lost its way. I am a strong believer in the 2 party system in the country. If it were Joe Lieberman running against an icky Repub, I'd take a long, hard look.

But as it stands, the Dems are now on squishy ground. The war on terror has exposed their deep philosophical divide (security vs. peace, etc.). The far left has been in control of the party for a while now - and the liberal influence is widespread in education, the media, and even many parts of the government (State Dept, CIA, many mid-level fed employees, many state and local employees, etc.).

All of that power is threatened by Bush and his stance on terror. He's not the most fiscally conservative politician to come down the pike, but his uncompromising stance re Islamic terrorism is deeply threatening to libs.

The line has been drawn in the sand. If you support Bush, you are likely to take a hard look at a more conservative philopophy (a more traditionally "liberal" approach at that) - and like what you see.

The libs see that shift happening and are scared ******** of the consequences to their power base.

Ultimately, losing this election could be the best thing for the Dems. It may finally force them to take a hard look at who they are and what they stand for.

But, if after that reappraisal, they vear even harder left then we have a problem. How much harder left can you go without entering the relm of a communistic approach to governement? How extreme will their measures become to regain power?

But what do I know? Count me as one of those just gobsmacked by people's reactions to the Clinton follies. I absolutely could not believe people supported him and his parade of disgusting behaviours.

To me, Kerry is just the latest in a long line of character-less Democratic leaders (Al Sharpton anyone?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: