SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When did the swift boat mission change?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wondering
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: When did the swift boat mission change? Reply with quote

I have researched this and have not been able to find the answer.

Kerry enlisted in the Naval reserves, is this common when going into OCS? He reports for OCS then is active duty 4 months later. Was he a naval reservist that got called up, or was he planning on going active duty?

My main question though is when he decided to transfer from the USS Gridley to swift boat duty, had their mission already expanded from coastal patrol to river and delta patrol? Or was he thinking that the boats would still be mainly farther away from the action?
skbarton13
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I do not know about the unit missions -- kerry had a reserve commission, not a regular commission, but he served in the regular navy -- he was in the reserve navy AFTER his active duty stint
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread, but just in case you miss it:

From the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/061603.shtml

Quote:
Kerry served two tours. For a relatively uneventful six months, from December 1967 to June 1968, he served in the electrical department aboard the USS Gridley, a guided-missile frigate that supported aircraft carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin and was far removed from combat.

"I didn't have any real feel for what the heck was going on [in the war]," Kerry has recalled. His ship returned to its Long Beach, Calif., port on June 6, 1968, the day that Robert F. Kennedy died from a gunshot wound he received on the previous night at a Los Angeles hotel. The antiwar protests were growing. But within five months Kerry was heading back to Vietnam, seeking to fulfill his officer commitment despite his growing misgivings about the war.

Kerry initially hoped to continue his service at a relatively safe distance from most fighting, securing an assignment as "swift boat" skipper. While the 50-foot swift boats cruised the Vietnamese coast a little closer to the action than the Gridley had come, they were still considered relatively safe.

"I didn't really want to get involved in the war," Kerry said in a little-noticed contribution to a book of Vietnam reminiscences published in 1986. "When I signed up for the swift boats, they had very little to do with the war. They were engaged in coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going to be doing."

But two weeks after he arrived in Vietnam, the swift boat mission changed -- and Kerry went from having one of the safest assignments in the escalating conflict to one of the most dangerous. Under the newly launched Operation SEALORD, swift boats were charged with patrolling the narrow waterways of the Mekong Delta to draw fire and smoke out the enemy. Cruising inlets and coves and canals, swift boats were especially vulnerable targets.

Originally designed to ferry oil workers to ocean rigs, swift boats offered flimsy protection. Because bullets could easily penetrate the hull, sailors hung flak jackets over the sides. The boat's loud engine invited ambushes. Speed was its saving grace -- but that wasn't always an option in narrow, heavily mined canals.

rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: When did the swift boat mission change? Reply with quote

================================================
Kerry enlisted in the Naval reserves, is this common when going into OCS?

My main question though is when he decided to transfer from the USS Gridley
to swift boat duty, had their mission already expanded from coastal patrol to
river and delta patrol? Or was he thinking that the boats would still be mainly
farther away from the action?
=================================================

RE OCS: Yes, in order to go directly to OCS from civilian life, you were
required to enter the Navy as an enlisted man and remained so while
you were undergoing OCS training. If/when you completed OCS, you
were "mustered out" as enlisted and immediately re-entered with the
O-1 officer designation. Hence the 4 months enlisted service.

RE Change of Mission: Kerry arrived in VN in November / December 1968
See http://pcf45.com/sealords/sealords.htm for a description of the way
Admiral Zumwalt shifted strategy about that time.
Decom Reject
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: When did the swift boat mission change? Reply with quote

I was an OinC on Swifts in 1969-70. It was not unusual for someone to volunteer for "In-Country" duty and be allowed to move from their then-present duty station to an assignment like Swift boats.

The difference between Reserve and Regular has always been difficult for civilians. Reserve officers served at the pleasure of the President just like Regulars. We had to resign to be "separated" but typically were never "discharged" in the sense that enlisted people could fulfill the terms of their contract (or enlistment) and then "discharge" the agreement.

I was also a destroyer guy and know what it must take to have the CO of a destroyer let a good guy go - especially to something other than destroyers! That must have been interesting....

The sticking point is that 2 of the 3 "wounds" appear to have been unusually questionable. There does not seem to have been any enemy fire for #1 and one of his crew has stated that #3 was self-inflicted by much the same negligence or stupidity as #1 (an M-79 grenade round going off prematurely due to operator error). That crewman has since changed his story after - apparently - be allowed to ride on the family jet.

"23 firefights and not a single Purple Heart"
DEL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more info on swifts and other river units try: www.mrfa.org for swifts try links for CTF-115.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: