SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research material removed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why PCF-51 and PCF-94 had damage! Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:
DougReese wrote:
NavyChief wrote:

Chenoweth finally got PCF-23 running again and went to the mouth of the canal, where he waited 3 hours for the other boats to return. This was a rare incident, where one PCF was by itself. The only reason was an emergency situation, plus PCF-23 wasn't very far from a friendly village where our troops were.

My guess is that PCF-23 would have actually waited at the village (Dong Cung), as opposed to sitting out in the middle of the river for three hours.

There were just seven American advisors in that village, and three of them, along with perhaps 40 of the RF/PF troops, were with the other Swifts (and Rassmann and the Nungs) up that nearby canal.

Doug

That's a pretty good guess, Doug. But Jack Chenoweth, who was OINC for PCF-23 on that day, told me he sat at the mouth of the canal for 3 hours. I believe Jack.

- instigator

Sorry Chief, but it was early when I posted that.

I should have added that being at (near) the village and being at the mouth of the canal are pretty much one and the same.

I don't have the url handy, but if you look at the map on that Washington Post article on the March 13 incident, our village is in the lower left corner of that circle that contains the number 4. (I'll try to post it here later today)

The village is named Dong Cung, same as the canal. As you come south down the canal into the river, the very edge of the village is about 50-100 yards to the left. Which is to say it doesn't quite go all the way over to the canal. So, when enter the river from the canal, going out 50-100 yards, you are very much in sight of the village, and vice versa.

If I was standing on the village dock the Swift Boat could easily see me, and be able to tell that I'm an American instead of a Vietnamese, it's that close.

Doug
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this thread be linked over to Research and Resources?

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsdad wrote:
The 12 March incident is not news. It is in ToD on P. 301-304, where Kerry describes VC the flying dog.

Hurley, one of Kerry's legal mouthpieces, often used the 14 March damage report to "prove" that the boats had taken heavy fire. Whenever O'Neill is opposite him, he always gives the page reference in ToD and explains that the damage occurred on 12 March. It's been a part of O'Neill's debunking from the start, but I don't see it referenced in UFC.

This was discussed here before:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8027&highlight=windows+damage+12

I have heard O'Neill try to get into a conversation the fact that the damage was done on the 12th. I think he was saying that the first time I heard him speak about this. But he was being over-talked by those rude tv hosts that don't want to hear anything.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
I have heard O'Neill try to get into a conversation the fact that the damage was done on the 12th. I think he was saying that the first time I heard him speak about this. But he was being over-talked by those rude tv hosts that don't want to hear anything.

That's the way it usually is. I watched the complete Hannity & Colmes and O'Reilly for the first time in a while (I have recorded various Swift vet related things and just watched them). That's all there seem to be. There is a desperation in the Dems now, a shrillness that was not so evident before.

The SBVFT has achieved a minor miracle. People wonder about how they could have such an impact (those honest enough to admit the impact), and it's a sad commentary on our political process.

People respond to the truth, told by people who stand to lose more than they have to gain. The reason the ads resonated was because, put up against the Kerry campaign posturing, it all made sense.

Expect things to get more shrill in the days to come.
sniper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I crazy here? Can anyone explain to me why the PCF94 would be in the Summary report for action Mar 12, but not Mar 13? It is not that there is no reporting on the 13th, just no mention of PCF94. Now, if it was significant enough to warrant Bronze Stars and PH's, wouldnt you think the Navy would have reported the 94's actions on BOTH days?

In case you havent seen the report, I would be happy to email it, but only once please, I believe it is over a meg, and this poor dialup boy just doesnt have time to send it to everyone.
TXBear
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search page at Texas Tech's The Virtual Vietnam Archive

http://star.vietnam.ttu.edu/starweb/vva/servlet.starweb

Was able to obtain results searching for PCF 94, PDF 44, John Kerry, Operation Sea Lords & by specific dates
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question:

Would the March 14 PCF 94 damage report be considered "minor damage"?

The COSDIV 11 history says the boats received "minor" damage on the 12th.

I am still holding out that Kerry's boat screws damage were the result of running over something in the water from fleeing the ambush on the 13th.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
I am still holding out that Kerry's boat screws damage were the result of running over something in the water from fleeing the ambush on the 13th.

Makes sense if you take his ... Belodreau version? Where he made a hard turn starboard after the detonation under PCF-3. If he was on the right bank as the WaPo graphic shows...

I've always thought the rocket "close aboard" was hitting the bank, which dumped Rassmann.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: