SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I heard that Kerry lied about being Irish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adnil77
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: I heard that Kerry lied about being Irish Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this was a rumor or is it true, that Kerry lied about being Irish to get the votes in Mass.? I heard it on the radio one day, then I never heard anymore about it. I wonder why this isn't being brought up too, if it's true? I would think the good Irish people out there wouldn't like it to know they were duped... . Rolling Eyes
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry allowed the misconception he was of Irish Heritage to go on for years. I don't have the time to try and find a link for it, but he made numerous statements that led people to believe he was.
Just another indicator of his willingness to say anything to get a vote.
Stacman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what group he's delivering one of his proclamations to. But you can't hold it against him. I think he's just too stupid to know what's what with anything...
Se7eN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-proclaimed Catholic too, yet supports partial birth abortions and is pro-choice. Not suprising from a guy who tosses grass into the political wind every second of the day..
Adnil77
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: I actually found the link Reply with quote

''For those of us who are fortunate to share an Irish ancestry, we take great pride in the contributions that Irish-Americans …"

—Senate floor statement by John Kerry, March 18, 1986, as quoted in Frank Phillips' and Brian C. Mooney's "1986 Statement Counters Kerry's Stand on Heritage," in the March 6 Boston Globe.

"As some of you may know, I am part-English and part-Irish. And when my Kerry ancestors first came over to Massachusetts from the old country to find work in the New World, it was my English ancestors who refused to hire them."

—Draft remarks prepared for Kerry in 1984, quoted by Phillips and Mooney in the March 6 Globe. Kerry was lieutenant governor of Massachusetts at the time.

"[I]n 1982, at the state Democratic convention in Springfield, his campaign gave his convention floor workers emerald-green T-shirts and hats featuring the logo, 'Up Kerry'—a takeoff on the rallying cry for the first president of the Republic of Ireland, Eamon de Valera, whose supporters cried, 'Up de Valera!' "

—Phillips and Mooney in the March 6 Globe.

Discussion. The question before the jury is whether Kerry has systematically sought to con Massachusetts voters (a great many of whom are Irish) into thinking that he's Irish. Kerry's spokesperson, Kelley Benander, told the Globe the erroneous Senate floor statement was staff-written and that Kerry neither recited nor saw it. (It's common for members of Congress to submit written floor statements in lieu of going to the Senate floor and saying the words out loud, and these statements are indeed often written by staff members.) Neither Kerry nor Benander nor Jonathan Winer, the Kerry aide who wrote the draft remarks prepared for Kerry when he was lieutenant governor, recall the speech being used. (But they don't seem specifically to recall it not being used, either.) As for the Irish-themed Kerry campaign paraphernalia, Benander said it was meant to attract Irish-American voters, not to con people into thinking Kerry was Irish.

Still, it's striking that the Globe was able to find two separate instances where Kerry's own staff thought he was Irish and a third where Kerry's campaign invited the public to believe he was Irish. (Benander's explanation about the hats and T-shirts fails to persuade because Kerry wasn't visiting an Irish neighborhood. He was at a state convention attended by people with all sorts of backgrounds.) And it is striking that Kerry has never attempted to correct various references to his Irish ancestry that have appeared in the Globe, which is the most important newspaper in his state.

Chatterbox's bottom line is that a political candidate and officeholder is responsible for whatever goes out under his name. So the Senate statement alone qualifies this as a Whopper. As to the larger question of whether Kerry habitually tells opportunistic lies about his background, or anything else, the jury's still out. But you can bet the Globe, and everyone else, will be watching.

[Correction, March 15: Winer, who was not contacted by the Globe for the story, says it misreported (secondhand, via Benander) his recollection about the 1984 draft comments. The Globe said Winer didn't remember Kerry giving the speech. Winer says he does remember that Kerry did not give the speech. "He refused to use it," Winer e-mailed Chatterbox. "Told me it wasn't funny." Chatterbox notes that Winer does not affirm that Kerry further said, "And besides, I'm not Irish," so he presumes that didn't happen.]
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in Newsweek Magazine that his grandfather was Jewish . When immigrated to U.S. settled in Massachusetts. Since there was a large Irish population there he changed the family name from Kohn to Kerry.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsweek, August 2. 2004
Story written by Evan Thomas, " The Solitary Soldier"
vickie
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jewishsf.com/bk030207/us02.shtml

First being Jewish is not just a religion it is a people, like Arabs are a people. We have Christian Arabs and Islamic Arabs. Yes we have Jewish Jews and Christian Jews (Jews for Christ, etc)

And according to Jewish tradition, when a Jew who marries a non-Jew the family is considered Jewish.

What does it matter that Kerry is half Jewish? It shouldn't matter at all but it will matter to the Islamic terrorist. They are already paranoid about the Isreal-US alliance. In their mind we are being controlled by the evil Jews.

Can you imagine if we had a President Kerry, how it would further enrage teh Islamic terrorists.

Quote:
John Kerry has Jewish roots -- who knew?
PETER EPHROSS

NEW YORK -- First it was then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. Next it was Gen. Wesley Clark, the supreme allied commander of NATO during the war in Kosovo.

Now it's Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry whose Jewish roots are being reported.

Kerry? The Massachusetts senator, the quintessential WASP-y looking politician with an Irish-sounding name?

Yup.

Two of Kerry's grandparents were Jewish, it turns out.

Kerry, who is a practicing Catholic, said he has known for 15 years that his paternal grandmother was Jewish, but had unsuccessfully searched for news of his paternal grandfather's roots.

However, a genealogist hired by the Boston Globe found that Kerry's grandfather was born to a Jewish family in a small town in the Czech Republic.

"This is incredible stuff," Kerry told the Globe. "I think it is more than interesting. It is a revelation."

The records show that his grandfather, Frederick Kerry, was born as Fritz Kohn. He changed his name to Kerry in 1902, immigrated to the United States in 1905 -- and committed suicide in a Boston hotel in 1921.

Frederick Kerry's story highlights the Jewish experience of earlier generations, Brandeis University professor Jonathan Sarna said.

"What we are realizing is how significant was the trend toward conversion and abandonment of Judaism, for the sake of upward mobility, in an earlier era of America," said Sarna, the Braun professor of American Jewish history at

the school in Waltham, Mass. "Given the quite significant anti-Semitism of the early 20th century and the evident obstacles that stood in the path to success, people simply changed their names and sloughed off their Judaism."

But that path wasn't always successful, Sarna said.

Kerry's grandfather's suicide apparently stemmed from financial troubles. But one could wonder if, by changing his name and identity, the man had cut himself off from any sense of community, Sarna said.

The Kerry story also might hold lessons for the present and future makeup of American Jewry, Sarna said. According to current statistics, millions of Americans like Kerry may have Jewish roots but don't consider themselves Jewish.

Of course, several people contact the American Jewish Historical Society every year asking for help in their search for Jewish roots.

The e-mails usually run along the lines of, "My name is Kelly Smith, but my grandmother's name was Sara Goldstein," said Michael Feldberg, the executive director of the historical society, which is based in New York.

Kerry said he had asked cousins and searched on the Internet, but had found only bits of information on his family history.

The news does not appear to have major political ramifications.

There was an initial hubbub when Albright, secretary of state in the Clinton administration, learned in 1997 that three of her four grandparents were Jewish.

The next time she was in Prague, Albright visited the Pinkas Synagogue, where the names of her paternal grandparents are inscribed on a wall among thousands of Czech Jews who died in the Holocaust.

Observers say the revelation about Kerry is unlikely to affect the 2004 presidential race.

"There's no question there's a lot of pride in a Jewish candidate and pride in family Jewish connections, but the American Jewish community is fairly mature in its political behavior," said Ira Forman, the executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Council.

As far as non-Jews go, "had it come out in 1953 instead of 2003, it would have been fatal to his presidential ambitions," Feldberg said, but not in today's world.

Kerry's revelation adds another Jewish flavor to the 2004 race for the Democratic presidential nomination. Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.), who declared last month that he will seek the nomination, is an observant Jew.

Another contender, former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, is married to a Jewish woman and is raising his children as Jews.

JTA correspondent Matthew E. Berger in Washington contributed to this report.

For more JTA stories, go to http://www.jta.org

poseidon
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I heard that Kerry lied about being Irish Reply with quote

Adnil77 wrote:
Does anyone know if this was a rumor or is it true, that Kerry lied about being Irish to get the votes in Mass.? I heard it on the radio one day, then I never heard anymore about it. I wonder why this isn't being brought up too, if it's true? I would think the good Irish people out there wouldn't like it to know they were duped... . Rolling Eyes

Here is the link to Howie Carr's Kerry Korner page which has the complete story
under the heading "John Kerry and the Leprechaun Society"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad we cannot believe Kerry. I would think we would expect our polititions to be as transparent as GWB, all of them. But in the real world there are too many Kerry's and not enough Bush's. Jewish, Irish, English....he is whatever he wants to be when the circumstances call for it. We cannot believe nothing documented about him, because he lied about the Vets before the Senate Commision and lied on his service records to get those medals. How can anyone get that many medals in four months? Outrageous. Help us all if Kerry is elected. Him being part Jewish and that inflaming Islamic extremists is far less threatening than all the lies and deceptions he has created and the fact he has no plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: