SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holding off on enlistment...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiggerPJS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Holding off on enlistment... Reply with quote

My youngest son recently told me that he'd like to go see an Air Force recruiter to see about becoming a Loadmaster. That's what I did during my 20-year career, and after hearing my stories, he'd like to do the same.

Proud to know that my son wants to experience what I did, I thought about it and had to tell him to hold off for a bit...until November 3rd.

As much as I would love to have my son serve our country as I did, the thought of him doing so under President Kerry (God Forbid!) terrifies me.

I told him that, yes, I would be proud for him to serve and learn the true meaning of honor and duty...something that Kerry has no clue of. But on the off chance Kerry is in power, he will decimate the military.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please send a letter to the editor. This says so much about the reality of our presidential choice in 2004.
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did the right thing.

I would be honored if my son were to tell me sometrhing like this, but I aggree with you. Serving under Kerry as CIC would be very demoralizing, and could cost casualties.

May I reference your post in my letter to the editor?

Big Al
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Waiting to Enlist Reply with quote

As much as I agree with waiting I would suggest that he get started with the basics of enlistment now as there is a substantial wait period for slots now. We just learned of a reduction in new slots of 20k for the next fiscal year. My daughter was trying to leave before then and has been told she would have upto an 8 month wait in the Delayed Enlistment program
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's one thing to have people shooting at you with an AK in a rice paddy, quite another having traitors at home sticking a knife in your back...
stupson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike. Sent this email to friends yesterday.

Some of you guys know that a couple of weeks ago I received notification from DA asking I update my recall to Active Duty packet (voluntary.) Because I draw retirement pay I am eligible for involuntary recall up to age 70. Yikes!

Anyway, I have decided to hold off making a decision on “re-volunteering” for Active Duty until after the November elections. If Bush is re-elected, I will volunteer to go in a heartbeat.

If Kerry is elected I will go back ONLY if ordered to do so. Then it will be kicking and screaming. This opportunistic skunk stabbed veterans in the back and twisted it during Vietnam and I will not willingly let him do me again. Witness the hundreds of National Guardsmen who walked out during this rodent’s speech yesterday. Screw me once, shame on you……..

It defies description that any Vietnam Vet with an IQ in double digits would support this cretin. You gotta be totally hosed up to think he could be even a mediocre CinC.

As I said yesterday in a LTTE….At least Benedict Arnold was a true American hero, before he was a traitor.

Have a great weekend. Stu
1IDVET
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered the voluntary recall.

I am also of the mind that if Kerry was elected, I would be worried about the military being gutted again.

I will wait as well.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oregon National Guard is not meeting their current recruiting goals. The local newspapers and television news shows only report negative stories and harp on how high a price Oregon is paying. They make it sound as if Oregon’s losses are much higher than the rest of the country. I retired from the ORANG back in 1985. When I went down to get a new retired ID card a few months ago, they were trying to get me to come back. I was seriously thinking about volunteering, but I had the same thoughts. I can’t serve under John Faux Kerry and being AWOL is unthinkable. So I am volunteering full time at the Republican Headquarters until the election. Then I will reconsider my decision. I met Dick Cheney yesterday. I had to resist the strong urge to volunteer for active duty after hearing him.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to a good frind of mine in Army CID. He and many other Active Duty are really concerned about Kerry winning the election. They feel it was bad enough under Clinton, but are dreading a Kerry CiC. All I could tell him was that many of us old farts are doing what we can to educate the public and watch their backs as well.

I can't blame your son for holding off. The final straw for my Army career was when Carter declared amnesty to Draft Dodgers.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe if, god forbid, if Kerry is elected we will eventually be fighting here in the US so there is no need to volunteer as we will all be on the front lines.
blackbear5
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: disagree Reply with quote

You should be proud of you son for wanting to enlist--we all are. No matter who is president we will still need young men and women of integrity and character to go into our military. No matter who is president--the bad guys will still becoming after us--more so if Kerry is elected. I pray "W" wins the election.

Let me close with this "if not young men like your son--then who will protect us."

take care and god bless.
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly I think its a great honor to serve in the US Military, most of all USAF Wink And the day we stop believeing that is the day were all dead. I know how you feel about Kerry however. Who knows? With that tratorous nitwit your kid might end up wearing a blue helmut. At least with Jimmy Carter I believe he was a good man , at least, and had some morale principles. A lousy President maybe but a good man within.

But this guy? Kerry? God help us if he gets in!............Rich
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharley wrote:
The Oregon National Guard is not meeting their current recruiting goals. .

But think of the tree hugging kooks we got out here in the Portland area - nobody would ever get them to defend the freedom they so easily abuse.

This by no means condemns all Oregonians
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember and never forget. When you are totally surrounded and overwhelmed, the decisions become very simple. It doesn’t matter which way you aim or charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: