SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC Objects to Use of Kerry Footage in New SBVFT Ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lets all Tell ABC to pound Sand! Reply with quote

kerrlied wrote:
Let's all let them know we want them to SHUT UP! Let the ad run the way it is. Heck its all the TRUTH.The idiot did say it.
Its so great the Rather e-mails has caused CBS news to be removed on SEVERAL radio stations around the USA TODAY.
So why not start in on ABC they are just as bad with the LIES..
Swift Boat Vetrans for thuth God bless you!

Hmmmmmm, using Hollywood's strategy against them. "Any publicity is good publicity." lol That's just sooooooo cute we have to do it Twisted Evil
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about this: If ABC tries to stop SwiftVets from running the ad and there is no legal reason why they cannot put the ad on TV the battle between Swiftees and ABC will create a big legal stink. And if there is a big legal stink, the TV shows will have to play it because the ad itself will become news. Then the OLD MEDIA will be directly crossing swords with Swiftees which will create another diversion for about a week that will keep Kerry from getting traction.
Another David and Goliath battle emerging?

And, the Swiftees can call for a boycott of ABC and ABC is scre**d just like CBS. I just love these little snits.,

That's clever.
Cowboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the use of the ABC footage by the Swiftees fall under the Fair Use exception to US copyright law? Specifically, it''s lawful to copy a limited amount of a copyrighted work, such that the amount copied is considered "fair use"?
m_drummond
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ABC can object and given that NBC has recently objected and gotten either a DNC or MoveOn ad pulled ....................
________
Magic Flight

Last edited by m_drummond on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shoot, the ad is out there, people have not only seen it but now are talking about it.

If ABC raises a stink, so be it, pull the ad. You can't undo what people have already seen and what others are sure to have downloaded, copied and will spread around.

Hasn't someone already mentioned that the "Old Media" is losing to the new, the fast, the INTERNET? Smile (yea, so my hint wasn't that subtle.)
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing says GREAT AD....louder than Media type objecting to the usage of the candidates own words.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fair use" is limited. Pulling a couple of lines would easily be considered "fair use", provided appropriate attribution is given. More than that is subject to interpretation. Which could take months to work out. As mentioned above, ABC can bring it to court if they truly want a decision. Depends on how much risk the SBVT are willing to take in this area. I'd assume legal counsel has discussed the penalties in the event ABC isn't just saber rattling.

Any way it proceeds, there is the opportunity for great exposure to the content of the ad, which is the objective.

It occurs to me that this is probably why Hannity hasn't shown the ad on H&C. Fox lawyers have likely advised them not to run it.

Kat
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader wrote:
My first post ever on any sight. Not enough time now to introduce myself.

The contention with ABC over use of the footage is a great opportunity. Swifties should be very animated and public in their consideration of ABC's request. (Ask what parts are objectionable, repeat the text of the ad as many times as possible while discussing it, etc) The more discussion, the more the exposure. Another minimum-buy ad can thus get wide exposure.

With excellent thinking like this you should post more often, Homesteader.

WELCOME! Very Happy
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be for the Swiftees to agree to stop the "offending" ad.......and do it publicly.......just before they're ready to release the next ad--C
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a civil matter, a court which finds one guilty of using the material without permission would rule on damages. I wonder how ABC is being damaged by this. Tell 'em to "Cheney off" and "Traysa it!" Continue to air this ad, blow it largly into court, contest it vigorously, appeal it, take it to the Supreme Court, the United Nations and finally let the World Court settle it right after Slobodan Milosevic's trial.
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Ahhh Screw Them.... Reply with quote

Ahhh Screw 'em if they can't take the TRUTH

It's fair use, and doesn't violate squat, IMHO....

NBC said the same thing about a DNC ad recently, and the DNC said they would think about it... Yeah right.....

Like others said, I DARE THEM TO SUE... It would be great coverage, and they would lose in the Public opinion Polls, in their ratings, and best of all, it keeps that moron kerry from gaining any traction in his train wreck known as the campaign....

Funny how I didn't see any objections to morron's film from any of the insignificant loser alphabet networks....

Great ad BTW, keep up the heat folks, it aint over until kerry loses in a landside bigger than Reagans...

Regards,
Sonar5

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ad showing in AZ? I haven't seen it yet...

maybe AZ has changed to a bush state... usually it's democratic...

but we have so much military here! and a lot of retired people - which

most likely includes a lot of military !

but I wanna seeeeee it!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
Is the ad showing in AZ? I haven't seen it yet...

maybe AZ has changed to a bush state... usually it's democratic...

but we have so much military here! and a lot of retired people - which

most likely includes a lot of military !

but I wanna seeeeee it!

Oh we're pretty dang RED.....RED da dada RED some like it blue but we like it RED

Just check our polls!

A Native REDneck Arizonan and proud of it!
greenjeans
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Mail / e-mail these news people untill they respond Reply with quote

Dear Sir:

I would like to provide feed back about a few items.

Please allow the Swift Vets to Air your footage of John Kerry. Mad My God; will you not hinder them from putting forth their views of the war they bled for. It seems outrages that thousands of men and women in Viet Nam WAR were hated and scorned and have went through mental hell because of the lies that were spread by the fools that hated war.

Yet the Mong and many other peoples in South East Asia wanted freedom. Which they desired because of the treaty that the United States tried to fulfill.

The news always seems to say war is bad, well we are now facing a enemy that is as nuts / insane as America faced in the Second World War.

Note: Suicide pilots flying for the emperor (their view of God on earth) drove planes into American ships killing hundreds and thousands. What is now happening in the name of a religious system belief? Suicide drivers and people with bombs!!!!

The Japanese were insane because they allowed the religious belief in emperor worship to become more important and valuable that the real love for humanity.

When will the media wake up and compare this??? Never; is what I’m beginning to believe.

Please run two pieces one investigating the fax to Dan Rather from Texas.

I work with telecom systems and know there is a phone number log to CBS’s fax machine. Also the sales tapes at the store in Texas will show who sold the fax service to someone in the store.

They will remember a line up of people if asked, is my certain guess.

Please show on national news the John Kerry honor that the North Viet Nam leaders have in their war museum for John Kerry’s help in winning the war against the South.

Just a thought, maybe Senator Kerry could be an ambassador from Viet Nam to the United States they have a high regard for his help in the war!!

Please review the Imperialist concept of how people view the world and countries that try to help bring freedom to those asking for help!!!

Thanks Maybe this will be of some help. To understand the view points in the real world.
NAS Corpus Christi, TX.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there might be a very different way to look at this.

First of all, ABC waved the legal flag to protect its backside, and to ensure that it could not be accused of collaborating with the SBVFT.

And that would have taken all of one or two paragraphs. But look again at their web site, and notice that they posted MUCH more than that. They sort of "teased" the reader (who is probably not a SBVFT) to look for the ad. And furthermore, gave a nice little boost to the SBVFT ad by kind of promoting it (advertising it, at least).

Then they went on to volunteer a transcript of the whole interview with Kerry. Personally, I think the actual transcript is much more damaging than Ad #5 (for one thing, it's not compressed down to 30 seconds).

And finally they added at the end that something similar has occurred between the DNC and NBC, and that the DNC has not relented (so ABC doesn't expect SBVFT to relent either?)

Actually, as I said in another forum, this is almost better than AD #5. It's put out by ABC, itself, and it contains the whole damning transcript of the interview.

Just another point of view....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: