SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DD-214, where do you keep yours?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: DD-214, where do you keep yours? Reply with quote

Setting aside politics for a moment . . .

When I got out, the PO said to always keep my DD-214 and to never lose it. That it was a very, very important paper. For these 30 something years, I've kept it in an envelope in my brief case, always congizant of where the silly thing was.

Probably not the best place to keep it. Where do you keep your copy? Should I obtain a bank safe deposit box and keep it in there with my other non-existant valuables? Is it really that important to keep?

Thanks for the advice.

As a side note, I know that I am entitled to another medal/ribbon that we were awarded after I got out. How do I obtain "official" documentation that reflects the award?
bw
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the dd-214,when I got out of the service 30 years ago-a couple of my uncles(vets of ww2)told me to have it recorded at the county courthouse.At that time it was microfiched? and given a page number.I suppose that it's still done with new tech applied.Stilll theres a worry about fire -water distruction.
Redd
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bank safe deposit box.
101st Airborne
RVN 67'68
Geronimo
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recorded with the county clerk is the best way to go.
SEABEE_JAG
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: County clerks office Reply with quote

Record it at your Country Clerk's office.

That way - when "needed" (VA benefits, death benefits, civil service, re-enlistment, DOD pensions, real estate tax benefit, etc.) the county clerk gives you a copy with a certification that the copy is "A true and correct of the original DD-214 on file in the Office of the County Clerk, indexed at Volume # and Page#, and at Fiche#, Frame# etc."

In "most" counties, you can get a certified copy within a few hours to under a week.

I have found in VA and VFW volunteer work (to help vets with VA benefits and the NY State Veterans Exemption on property taxes, civil service benefits) - the county of recordation and the reel/frame, or volume/page is enough - never have to submit the original or copy of your DD-214.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: VA and County Clerk Reply with quote

1. VA - once you get your "C" number - they can mail you a "new" "certified" copy. (It just takes them over a month to gen the certified copy)

2. County Clerk. (When Dad died, it took about two days for the County Clerk to get the DD-214 for his marker)

3. Worst case - the GSA/DOD Archive in St. Louis - but it takes them t least four life times to get you a certified copy.
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PigboatAndy and SEABEE_JAG for the quick response to volosong.

This is good info, but once he can document these awards, how does he go about actually recieving them?

I, too have reason to believe I am entitled to unit awards given after separation. These do not appear on my DD214 either. Also, I don't recall any "C" number. May I presume he gets it from the VA?

Big Al
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a hassle to replace. I know. But it is replacable, so at ease.

Sam
JimT
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl533 wrote:
Thanks PigboatAndy and SEABEE_JAG for the quick response to volosong.

I, too have reason to believe I am entitled to unit awards given after separation. These do not appear on my DD214 either. Also, I don't recall any "C" number. May I presume he gets it from the VA?

You can request your records sent to you and have awards and decorations researched.

eVetRecs is a gov website where you can apply online or print a SF180 request.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/

I went this rout when I was dealing with the VA.

They researched and said I had 3 ribbons and 2 medals earned more than shown on my original DD214.

They sent me a form letter with the ribbons and medals due were checked off and a box with the ribbons and medalss inside. They sent the ones they had in stock. Those out of stock and RVN decorations I had to find myself.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the proper era typewriter and have access to a Kinko's, you can make your own--or just type it up in Word. Laughing
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: DD-214 Reply with quote

Hey All;

When all of this talk about DD-214s kicked up a while back I went to http://vetrecs.archives.gov and requested a new copy of mine. It showed up within a few weeks. I got two copys of DD-214s. The first covered 74-78 while the second covered 78-95.

I went through them both and just a few things are missing, no big deal unless I ever run for president. Also, the retirement award was never posted becasue it showed up in the mail 4 months after I retired, oh well.

Now days if you post a copy at the court house remember to black out your SSN. The court house makes a true copy of whatever you give them. The true copy can be in your desk or a safe deposit box. A new one can be had with a few clicks of a mouse.

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
john h
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-214, where do you keep yours? Reply with quote

volosong wrote:
Setting aside politics for a moment . . .

When I got out, the PO said to always keep my DD-214 and to never lose it. That it was a very, very important paper. For these 30 something years, I've kept it in an envelope in my brief case, always congizant of where the silly thing was.

Probably not the best place to keep it. Where do you keep your copy? Should I obtain a bank safe deposit box and keep it in there with my other non-existant valuables? Is it really that important to keep?

Thanks for the advice.

As a side note, I know that I am entitled to another medal/ribbon that we were awarded after I got out. How do I obtain "official" documentation that reflects the award?

I keep my DD-214 in a safe deposit box along with 5 copies. Never let the original go. I made sure my wife and daughter understand what it is and the importance of not losing it. Actually I have two of them like Bush. One when I was discharged from Cadet Status to accept a Commission and one for when I was discharged to retire.
RONK
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine recorded at the court house but keep the original in fireproof box at home. Should put it in a saftey deposit box as nothing is really "fire proof". I also carry at least two copies in my wallet.Saves a lot of time should you need one for something at any given time. This saved me about three months delay in being hired when I applied for my civil service job 22 years ago because a copy was attached to my original application instead of needing to be mailed to the state capitol for verification. I was placed on the CS list with my Vet's Preference points immediately instead of having to wait and have other people hired before I was.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: DD-214 Reply with quote

Registered at the Courthouse and secured in a locked file cabinet at home. I keep multiple copies and have a wallet card copy as well.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixdogteam wrote:
Quote:
If you can get the proper era typewriter and have access to a Kinko's, you can make your own--or just type it up in Word.

heh. I started looking for mine after signing on here. Couldn't find the thing, so went on-line and had one sent from St. Louis. Took about three weeks. It has my "snake school" course listed (I actually went thru that TWICE!), but not egress and water survival courses... mebbe a trip to Kinko's? I could then rectify my mistake over not knowing the John Kerry method of PH acquisition as well! Wink

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: