SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Enlisted"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsander
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: "Enlisted" Reply with quote

I haven't heard him say it for a while, but Kerry is fond of saying that he "enlisted." A man who enlists is one of the common folk, as opposed to one who gets an officer's commission from, for example, an elite institution such as the Naval Academy.

While technically Kerry DID "enlist," the reality is that he signed up for Officer Candidate School. One is briefly an enlisted man at OCS, and if one "washes out," one can get sent to the fleet as an enlisted man. But very few wash out, especially Ivy League types.

What the guy did was sign up to become an officer. When he says he "enlisted," he is spinning.
2ndamendsis
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a Fleet of Enlisted just to keep up with his damned lies!!
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Entry: en·list Pronunciation Guide
Quote:
Pronunciation: nlist, en-
Function: verb
Etymology: 1en- + 6list
transitive verb
1 : to engage (a person) for military or naval service usually for a definite period2 : to secure the support and aid of : employ or utilize in advancing some interest <enlist you in a good cause> <enlist photography for educational purposes>; broadly : ATTRACT <a compilation of Collects to enlist the interest of busy people -- Philosophic Abstracts> <personal participation enlists belief in the objectivity of an experience>
intransitive verb
1 : to enroll oneself for military or naval service especially voluntarily and for a definite period <he enlisted for three more years of service in the navy>

He using the word correctly as a transitive verb. If he used it as an adjective you'd have a case. BTW, I'm not defending the lying sleazeball.
lsander
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dictionary doesn't make the discrimination between officer and enlisted. The word "enlisted" implies, wrongly in Kerry's case, that the person is signing up in the way that most people, e.g. the salt of the earth, common man, young fellow next door, become members of the military.

The elite, e.g. the college men, diplomat's sons, etc., enter programs that make them officers. It is a most unusual usage to speak of "enlisting" when one signs up to become an officer. (Unless, of course, you are trying, by your words, to convey that you are at one with the salt of the earth.)

There's nothing wrong with officers (I was one myself), but they don't "enlist." In fact, by striving to become officers, they strive to put themselves ABOVE all who merely enlist.

Kerry joined an elite program to become an officer. He did not "enlist" and get promoted into officer ranks (but, IMHO, he wants people to get the impression that he did).

It's a fine point. A nuance. But a nuanced way to mislead.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there's someone else who can give a better, more detailed answer, but "technically" I think he did "enlist" (in the usual sense of the word). I've run into a good deal of discussion on this subject some days back in one of these forums; that discussion is undoubtedly buried several pages back by now. But in short...

When he was turned down for his last deferment, he did, in fact, enlist in the Navy while he was awaiting his slot in OCS. This enlistment period, I believe, was several months long.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In becoming an officer, first you enlist, then go to OCS, ROTC, etc.
If you successfully make it through, then you are commissioned.
If not you either leave or join the fleet in the enlisted ranks.
In any case, the first step is enlisting.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Winter Soldiers forum:

"Enlisted in the US Navy Reserve on 02/18/66 for six years, placed on inactive duty.
Entered OCS 08/19/66 and was commissioned 12/16/66 as Ensign (118 days)."
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C´mon, folks, there are bigger fish to fry here. Getting bogged down in admin-type nuances will just confuse the non-military public.

- Three distinct versions of a Silver Star citation

- Falsified reports IOT win Purple Hearts

- Conducting secret meetings with the NV government while still an officer of U.S. Navy

- Falsifying reports of atrocities before Congress

These are the things that will bring him down

Dane
Stevie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, Dane is right....

but just for the record, he VOLUNTEERED !

just ask Clinton ! kerry said 'SEND MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !'
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsander wrote:
Your dictionary doesn't make the discrimination between officer and enlisted. The word "enlisted" implies, wrongly in Kerry's case, that the person is signing up in the way that most people, e.g. the salt of the earth, common man, young fellow next door, become members of the military.

The elite, e.g. the college men, diplomat's sons, etc., enter programs that make them officers. It is a most unusual usage to speak of "enlisting" when one signs up to become an officer. (Unless, of course, you are trying, by your words, to convey that you are at one with the salt of the earth.)

There's nothing wrong with officers (I was one myself), but they don't "enlist." In fact, by striving to become officers, they strive to put themselves ABOVE all who merely enlist.

Kerry joined an elite program to become an officer. He did not "enlist" and get promoted into officer ranks (but, IMHO, he wants people to get the impression that he did).

It's a fine point. A nuance. But a nuanced way to mislead.

Just to close this out, what I said was that he was using "enlisted" as a transitive verb not as an adjective.

Here's the definition as an adjective which fits perfectly what some are trying to say.

Quote:
Main Entry: enlisted Pronunciation Guide
Function: adjective
Etymology: from past participle of enlist
: of, relating to, for, or constituting the part of a military or naval force ranked below commissioned officers, warrant officers, and persons (as cadets or midshipmen) who are in the course of qualifying as commissioned officers <many officers holding temporary commissions reverted to enlisted status after the war> <enlisted men and women> <enlisted quarters>

lsander
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what I was trying to say is that it is very unusual to use the transitive verb "enlist" to describe one's enrollment in an officer candidate program, even if the enrollees are technically, and briefly, "enlisted" (adj.) men.

Though I was only a naval officer for four years, and it was many years ago, I don't ever recall any young civilian who enrolled in OCS, NROTC, or the Naval Academy referring to himself as having "enlisted." To have done so would have given an inaccurate impression of what he did.

Rolling Eyes
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to say was that:

1. You enlist in the the USNR ans an E-1
2. You enroll in OCS and if you graduate you become an O-1
3. If you fail OCS you're still subject to the terms of your enlistment contract.

Therefore, you have "enlisted"!

For example, I was a E-6 Boatswain's Mate at the end of my (extended) first enlistment. I was offered OCS and an opportunity to finish college in the Navy. If I had failed OCS I would still have been an E-6 and obligated to fullfill my new 6 year enlistment. If it had been only a 4 year enlistment I probably would have taken the Navy up on it.

Nuff Said! Let's fight the real war! We're both on the same side! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: