SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free "Sink Kerry Swiftly" Stickers for Iraq
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Free "Sink Kerry Swiftly" Stickers for Iraq Reply with quote

Thanks to a contribution I have 2 lots of 100 Stickers that I'd like to send to our troups in Iraq. If anyone wants to help in this effort find me a marine unit and an army unit in Iraq that they can be sent to.

Also, if someone has the time, find the quickest way (DHL?) to get them there. I'll pay the shipping whatever it costs. Maybe a miltary flight into the area?

Tom
grammaj
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get help at www.anysoldier.us.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB, I'm not sure the folks over in Iraq are going to feel comfortable showing those stickers. They are in a PC military now, and they have had it beat into their skulls that they are not supposed to engage in politics while on duty. The difference between a 527 and an actual campaign may be a little esoteric for many of our troops, especially when they've got other things to do.

A friend told me last week that another friend of his, a soldier, got chewed out by someone in his command for having a Bush sticker on his POV here in the US. I thought that was allowed, so it's given me the idea that there's some hypersensitivity going around the Army this election. I'm just a civilian, though, so what do I know?

My husband got back from Iraq in March, and I'll ask him about it tomorrow, if you like. If he thinks it's a good idea, then I can probably get a few addresses from him.
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would like you to ask him! Maybe I'm an old guy but I remember lots of political expresssions on boats and vehicles in Vietnam in '69. Of course, we've had the Clinton military since then so I don't know. Laughing

What do other active duty personnel think or families think? How about emailing family members in Iraq and ask them.

Tom
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grammaj wrote:

Thank you for the link. I've been looking for a way to send care packages and help involve my kids too, and this link is just what I've been looking for. Thanks again. Very Happy
LeastofThese
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grammaj wrote:

This is a TERRIFIC program! Friends on a forum I host got together on this earlier this year and we sent almost 30 boxes through AnySoldier ~ some were soldier care packages, some were medical supplies for the local clinic and some were baby clothes/blankets for the local OB and PED ward that was being run by our guys. AnySoldier is the BEST - and you get a personal contact for everything you send.

Some of the AnySoldier contacts have email access, so it might be possible to write one of them and ask specifically if they'd like the bumper stickers.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted in here before that I have emailed a lot of the artwork I have found here to my son in Iraq and they have printed it and hung it in their office, but I don't know about on vehicles. You will have to mail it as DHL does not have service in Iraq. Expect 2 - 3 weeks for delivery.
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck! They don't have to go vehicles! They can be on walls, footlockers, whatever.

So the consensus is USPS Priority mail to an APO address?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the soldiers I hear from want Bush/Cheney campaign materials. They can hang things in their tents, stick them on their lockers, etc.

Haven't gotten a request for pro-Kerry material, yet.
LeastofThese
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
So the consensus is USPS Priority mail to an APO address?

That's how we were instructed to send all our packages. We were also required to attach a customs form to everything, making sure to mark the contents as a "gift".
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grammaj wrote:

Just a slight correction - There is an extra "." after "us", so it may not go correctly to the site - At least, I had problems getting to the site until I deleted the "period" at the end - The full home page may be found at http://www.anysoldier.us/index.cfm - It is a terrific site.

"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. To all the people you can. As long as you ever can." - Wesley
LeastofThese
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better, they recently were able to obtain the domain name as a .com! So now, www.anysoldier.com will get you there, too! Wink
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Yes, I would like you to ask him! Maybe I'm an old guy but I remember lots of political expresssions on boats and vehicles in Vietnam in '69. Of course, we've had the Clinton military since then so I don't know. Laughing

What do other active duty personnel think or families think? How about emailing family members in Iraq and ask them.

Tom

ASPB,

Hubby and I talked about this over lunch. He thinks you should go for it, and that I was only partly right in my earlier post. Sometimes I have to realize that I only hear the worst stories, so I get the idea that things are more extreme than they really are.

Troops are not going to be able to put the stickers on Humvees or Bradleys for very long, but Hubby thought sombody would surely do it long enough to get a great photo before he's told to take it off. Most will be allowed to display the stickers in their personal areas, and on their own stuff.

He suggested that you only send a few to each person...not a hundred to one person unless you are sure that they are behind the cause and can get around to distribute them. Of course, in sending a few to each, you would be trying to spread it around to different units.

That anysoldier.us looks great. I didn't look over the name list very hard, but Hubby suggested that you avoid people in leadership positions that have to be more careful about political influence...in other words don't pick a Company Commander to send stickers to...look at the unit and try to pick people that are lower in the structure.

I hope that helps. Smile
ASPB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd prefer to find people in leadership positions that support the cause; more likely to see them widely distributed.

That's why I'm hoping to attract participants here with family in Iraq that know we'll have support from those actually receiving the stickers
ASPB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks to the generosity of Neverforget;

I have four lots of 50 stickers, the appropriate Customs forms, and USPS Priority Mail envelopes to send to Iraq or Afganistan! It's going to take up to two weeks for them to get there so I need help quickly if we want photos back before the election. I'm hoping to get pictures of the stickers of tanks, hummers, and even foot-lockers in Iraq and/or Afganistan into the press before the election.

Please provide the APO addresses of loved-ones in those theaters and their email addresses so I can let them know the stickers are coming.

It's really important that we find men and women serving there that support our cause and are willing and able to distribute the stickers.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: