SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's confession as a war criminal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

Craig, here's an article on Bush's treatment of vets. I'm so sorry about your experiences under Bush.

Actually I don't think my own to be so bad.
I enlisted and went Airborne and had a real "All The Way" attitude for awhile. **** happened and the Army violated our contract so I figured that nullified any agreement or contract between myself and my government even if they could twist the law to their convenience.
I had thought of reinlisting in later years when I'd gathered that the military had become all volunteer and "professional" - I guess I thought about it and then I became too old.
As for myselfs problems I have been pretty much glad for whatever scraps since there is so many in more need and more deserving than myself. I didn't even bother to check out themedical benefits until for or five years ago.
I have watched how vets get screwed over the years. Bush might be more offensive to me than most for sake of being more recent smoke and mirrors. The gullible public falls for it always though - don't matter if it be tweedle-de or tweedle-dum.
The current president is nothing but a sock puppet - but I don't know if that in itslef is so bad. What is bad is the appointees that he appointed who really run things. - Or did Cheney appoint Bush as his running mate ??
Whatever.
I wonder what might be the chances to get a head count of how many of the posters to this group are Swift Boat Veterans - probably not much ....
eecee
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:
eecee wrote:

I don't believe Kerry ever said he received what would be recognized as an unlawful order as you define it. He said he followed orders which he later came to believe were in violation of the Geneva and Hague conventions, specifically with regard to free fire zones and the burning of villages.

Typically, Kerry doesn't seem to have ever bothered to have read the Law of Land Warfare (a serious shortcoming for an Officer). With the possible exception of burning villages, none of the things listed are atrocities, but Kerry listed them as such. Ignorance? Or drama?

Regardless, it does illustrate an incompetence in knowing his duties. Rather sad really.

Oh, and if he did believe those were in fact atrocities? He was duty bound to report them, and failure to do so is a violation of the UCMJ.

Kerry's own words are all that is needed to make it clear that he wasn't a war hero, wasn't a competent Naval Officer, and was a liar. No matter how you spin it, one way or another, he was dishonorable, failed in his duty, and failed his country.

What part of "I don't believe Kerry ever said he received what would be recognized as an unlawful order as you define it" didn't you understand?
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 bxl wrote:
Sparky...

Here's a bulleting for you:

We've been screwed by every administration since the Veteran's Marches in the 20's... and that includes the democrats.

The idea that Bush has done anything to veterans that Carter didn't do, or for that matter, your other hero, Bill the draft dodger, didn't do, is absurd.

In fact, your partisan ignorance on the matter COULD call into question the fact that YOU ever served.

As for that war criminal you're so enamored of...

Given Kerry's confession that he's a war criminal, and the inability of his supporters to accept that he's a war criminal, I've gone to the extreme of looking it up.

hyperdictionary

Definition: [n] an offender who violates international law during times of war

See Also: offender, wrongdoer

yourdictionary

1. war criminal -- an offender who violates international law during times of war

wordiq

A war crime is a punishable offense, under international law, for violations of the law of war by any person or persons, military or civilian. Every violation of the law of war is a war crime.

Clearly, Kerry is certainly guilty of this... whether he has called himself a war criminal in view of his confessions on the subject being totally irrelevant... and the gross situational ethics of Kerry supporters on this matter is reason enough to oppose Kerry BY ITSELF.

For whatever distortion you would make of whatever Kerry said about war criminal there is some folks - and you - who would define him as war criminal.
Stops to think for a moment if Kerry was war criminal for following same orders as the rest of his peers.
So is Kerry telling the truth or is Kerry a liar if he did say - as you and some have said he said - that his own self be a war criminal?
What twists of reason do some of you folks use to call him a war criminal for what he said but exempt others who followed the same orders and did much the same as he did?
Oh well, I have given up on this group for being worth anything more than some laughs. Damned hilarious, I think, that it is the most rabid supporters of what this group is about who are doing the most violations of the precepts by sinking to ad hominem and resorting to name calling and insults.
E
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: The grossest thing here Reply with quote

is the twisted logic used to defend the indefensible. The facts as they stand are very clear:
1: Bush is not a competent leader, and he failed to find competent help.
2: FDR and Truman laid the groundwork for the GI Bill, which made my grandparents and parents generations middle class (Army 1928-56, Merchant Marines, Navy, Navy Transport) and have access to college and home loans.
3: Cuts to the growth of spending for VA hospitals were a direct result of Newt Gingrich's Contract on America. Funding growth has grown drastically as several generations of honorable vets benefit from improved medical treatments that increase life spans but cost grossly disproportionate sums (VA cannot volume purchase medecines at a discount-madness). Baby boomer Vietnam and Gulf War vets as well as Panama, Grenada, and other conflicts most people forget are now wanting treatment-but the VA can't inform them of their benefits?
4: If the SBVT really stand for the truth and are proud of their service to the nation they should prove their bonafides. That said, if they did indeed serve, they deserve our thanks regardless of their political positions.
5: Kerry as a senator is in the unfortunate position of having been in a deliberative body where horse trading with the opposition (Not enemy, please) is part of what must be done there. If you can get X for your constituency by making Y compromises, that is what you do. Only since the Newt Gingrich revolution has the level of hostility so interfered with the process of governance that democracy has suffered.
6: Maybe you get one medal for luck, not five, and if you want to stick them someplace inappropriate I believe you have earned the right.
7: John McCain, who is awesome in many ways, is not participating in the shameful abuse of John Kerry through proxies, and he personally suffered longer than many prisoners of war. Why? Because the people who smeared him, Max Cleland, and so many others are the same people who are smearing Kerry.
8: I don't hate Bush. I pity him. He has squandered every opportunity handed to him by his station in life, by his family, and by the Supreme Court. Had he done what he said in 2000, democratic partisans would have no basis to criticise him. He didn't unite America, and in fact does very little of what he says he will do. He didn't disappear from the TAG because he was opposed to war or the military, and in his own words he drank and drugged it away.
If the swift vets are for real, let them come out and speak their piece with all the cards on the table. Otherwise, they are just participating in the current American delusion. God save us all in that case.
boatsturley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Swift Boat sailor was trained on the Geneva Conventions and the rules of engagement. At the Nuemberg Trials "orders" and "ignorance" were not allowed as a defence. "Free-fire" zones were not without procedure, like finding out who might be there before openning up. I know at least one officer who was relieved of duty for firing indiscriminately into a free fire zone without first contacting all "local" units for up to the minute clearance information.
Kerry hung his hat on the PRG [VietCong] NVA Communists bedpost while still an officer of the United States NAVY. There is no way to hide this fact and it makes him a "Benadict Arnold" of such proportions that still today his consorting with enemies of the U.S. is affecting the American psyche. He became the enemy's right arm here in the States, while American troops were still in the war zone. You justify that and you have a serious lack of character, or you just don't get it.
boatsturley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that you Kerry-ites don't sign your names or give any indication who or what you are. I'm NOT pro-Bush as you clowns would have the world believe to cover for your beloved NOTwar hero Kerry. But it happens that as a combat veteran I can forgive those who did not serve much easier than I can forgive a self-serving medal monger, who betrayed his comrades in arms and his country by making false statements, consorting with the enemy and supporting those who were contributing to the deaths of thousands of U.S. troops in the combat zone. Kerry had only one thing in mind, his political career. Since he didn't get discharged from the Navy Reserve until long after his anti-American/anti-government activities it is clear that he violated the 14th Amendment: Section 3; and should not even be allowed to hoold the office of local dog catcher without a 2/3rds vote of both Houses of Congress to lift his civil and military disability.
Cowards hide behind the ignorance and/or the ambitions of others.
For those of you who refuse to give names and identify yourselves, there is no greater revelation about the lack of personal character than those who will hide from the light of truth and refuse to face those questioning their integrity. Come on out and let's have a public forum with Kerry and some of us Swifties who have no political agenda, save letting the world know the truth about Hanoi-John Kerry.

Bring it on! Any public forum without bias, or "live-lead" no delays broadcast. Let's see just who John Forbes Kerry really is?? Where's your guts John-boy. Hanoi-John sold his soul for a shot at the Presidency. Only one flaw. He is so arrogant that he thinks we forgot. Well John, we didn't and now it's time to face the Nation with the unmitigated truth.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is interesting that you Kerry-ites don't sign your names or give any indication who or what you are."

I've been Internet conferencing for over ten years, initially on Usenet and the Well. I learned long ago not to leave my name. It's easy for you not to worry: none of your opponents are potentially dangerous. After having received nasty phone calls, I unlisted my phone number. Then some nutty anonymous rightwinger found out where I lived and sent threatening letters that were untraceable.

But don't worry, nobody here is going to do that to you. Liberals prefer reasonable discourse and friendly persuasion to threats.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
But don't worry, nobody here is going to do that to you. Liberals prefer reasonable discourse and friendly persuasion to threats.

Can't prove that by me, sparky.

Wingnuts appear on both sides. Read my other post about the topic.
eecee
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boatsturley wrote:
It is interesting that you Kerry-ites don't sign your names or give any indication who or what you are. I'm NOT pro-Bush as you clowns would have the world believe to cover for your beloved NOTwar hero Kerry. But it happens that as a combat veteran I can forgive those who did not serve much easier than I can forgive a self-serving medal monger, who betrayed his comrades in arms and his country by making false statements, consorting with the enemy and supporting those who were contributing to the deaths of thousands of U.S. troops in the combat zone. Kerry had only one thing in mind, his political career. Since he didn't get discharged from the Navy Reserve until long after his anti-American/anti-government activities it is clear that he violated the 14th Amendment: Section 3; and should not even be allowed to hoold the office of local dog catcher without a 2/3rds vote of both Houses of Congress to lift his civil and military disability.
For those of you who refuse to give names and identify yourselves, there is no greater revelation about the lack of personal character than those who will hide from the light of truth and refuse to face those questioning their integrity. Come on out and let's have a public forum with Kerry and some of us Swifties who have no political agenda, save letting the world know the truth about Hanoi-John Kerry.

Bring it on! Any public forum without bias, or "live-lead" no delays broadcast. Let's see just who John Forbes Kerry really is?? Where's your guts John-boy. Hanoi-John sold his soul for a shot at the Presidency. Only one flaw. He is so arrogant that he thinks we forgot. Well John, we didn't and now it's time to face the Nation with the unmitigated truth.

You're welcome to do as you please, of course, but most people would regard not putting one's name out to strangers on the Internet as simple common sense.

I will tell you a little about myself, though. I come from a military family. My father, grandfather, and great uncle - a general decorated for bravery at the Battle of the Bulge - were career military who attended USMA, and my nephew will graduate from the academy in two years. My brother was a USAFA graduate, a fighter pilot who served two tours in Vietnam. I am the mother of a maritime officer.

William Westmoreland was a family friend, as were the Eisenhowers and Pershings.

I appreciate that John Kerry served, and I respect him for speaking out against an unjust war.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't prove that by me, sparky.

Wingnuts appear on both sides. Read my other post about the topic.

I agree. I've met a few. But the most extreme liberals just become softer and more feminized the further left they go in the mind of rightwingers, right?

Anyway, it's a bad idea to post your name in a public conference.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
But the most extreme liberals just become softer and more feminized the further left they go in the mind of rightwingers, right?

In my experience, the harder left they go, the more violent and obnoxious they are.

This may shock you, so sit down - but I actually have many liberal points of view.

Quote:
Anyway, it's a bad idea to post your name in a public conference.

Agreed. That these men have the courage to do so makes me doubly proud of them.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'd actually thought it through, to be honest.
eecee
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
The tenth brother is part of this website. In fact, some of the language is remarkably similar. When the tenth brother, Gardner, talks about "killing gooks" it's hard not to picture a trail of chewing tobacco and drool spilling from one side of his mouth.

There was bound to be at least one dittohead in the bunch and not surprisingly, it's him against the other nine in their recollections.

Quote:
Every sailor who served under Lieutenant John Kerry on Swift boats PCF-44 and PCF-94 have gushed about his poise under enemy fire. They tell stories of his rescuing a Green Beret from drowning, killing a Viet Cong sniper, and saving 42 Vietnamese civilians from starvation. To paraphrase Ernest Hemingway they claim that in combat Kerry exemplified “grace under pressure.” But PCF-44 Gunner’s Mate Stephen M. Gardner—in a long telephone interview from his home in Clover, South Carolina—has a starkly different memory. “Kerry was chickenshit,” he insists. “Whenever a firefight started he always pulled up stakes and got the hell out of Dodge.”

One brother, Jim Wasser describes Gardner this way:

Quote:
“But he has developed a strange, negative assessment of Lieutenant Kerry. It shocked me. His memory is dead wrong. He remembers things so differently.… He has some kind of weird grudge against Lieutenant Kerry.”

Gardner was nicknamed “The Wild Man” by his crewmates for his hair-trigger penchant for firing M-60s into the mangrove thicket. “Let me know what you find out,” Wasser told me. “I’m having trouble understanding where he’s coming from.”

After interviewing Gardner for over an hour it essentially boils down to one word: politics. A strong supporter of President George W. Bush, Gardner is sickened by the idea of Kerry as president. “Anybody but Kerry,” he says. “I know what a disaster he’d be.” So what brought Gardner out in the open? The answer turns out to be Rush Limbaugh’s talk show.

After listening to Rush one day, Gardner said...

Quote:

John Kerry is another ‘Slick Willy.’ He’s another Bill Clinton and that’s exactly what he is. And I’m telling you right now, that if John Kerry gets to be president of these United States, it’ll be a sorry day in this world for us. We can’t stand another Democrat like that in there again. We’ll get our asses in such a sling this time; we won’t be able to get out of it. And the bottom line to it is, I don’t care how much John Kerry’s changed after he moved off my boat, his initial patterns of behavior when I met him and served under him was somebody who ran from the enemy, rather than engaged it. If I’d had Rush’s 800 number, or known how to reach him, I would have called in.”

--- snip ---

No two men remember combat exactly the same way so Kerry has been extremely lucky that 9 out of his 10 crewmen have almost identical stories about his valor during various firefights and skirmishes.

This article, in TIME magazine, goes on to describe the time Kerry threatened Gardner with a court martial. Gardner, who said he "had no trouble shooting gooks," was pissed because Kerry stopped him from
Quote:

At various times in our interview he complained about Kerry “running around with Hanoi Jane” after the war and having a “rich wife.” And—like Limbaugh—he is determined to convince people that Kerry is Slick Willy incarnate.

Not surprisingly, Gardner doesn't realize how much his accusations just sound like plain old smear politics, much like the Kerry-haters here.
Quote:

When informed of Gardner’s accusations Kerry, campaigning in Texas, simply stated they weren’t true. “He deserves respect because he served our country well,” Kerry says of Gardner. “I left the country thinking well of Gardner and even tried to find him several times. But his stories are made up. It’s sad, but that’s the way it goes in war, and especially in politics.” And then he added: “But don’t ask me. I know the guys, my other crewmates, and they’ll set the record straight.”

Read the full article here:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,599034,00.html

Right, the same Steve Gardner who claimed Kerry liked to "park the boat 4 or 5 miles offshore every night" - he didn't know what to say when it was pointed out that they were usually upriver.

And I thought the criticism of Kerry was that he was TOO agressive.
Buddy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, John Kerry got 3 Purple Hearts!! His body must look like swiss cheese. I would have to admire a man like Kerry that subjected his body to that much punishment. He must be a true hero!! I was wounded on the Cua Lon river in Aug.'1969 on PCF-9. I was hit with an RPG. And I only spent 6 months in Bethesda Naval Hospital. John Kerry must have spent much longer healing and recuperating in a stateside hospital. I only got 1 Purple Heart. With John Kerry getting THREE he must have been really chewed up. What military hospital was in?
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boatsturley wrote:

I suppose my not being a Kerry-ite the above complaint would not apply to me.
Oh welll, maybe I should put my full name in my sig instead of just post it when the topic came up the other day?
Craig Kling - served in US Army Aiborne and did my time at Lee Baracks at Gonsenheim Germany - Hon. discharge 1966.
I see a lot of folks not posting their names and I suppose there be various reasons for some to wish to remain anonymous. - Some years ago I was free enough with name and mailing address and someone once threatened to slander me to my Parole Officer. That came under the heading of stuff that parole conditions required me to report to my PO - so I showed him the post and my PO told me to not be giving my address online. After parole I went back to using my name.
In some Usenet forums I have seen folks take their differences out of newsgroups to try to cause each other trouble with boss or landlord.
Anyway, I would not make judgment on any individuals merely for sake of their remaining anonymous.

Do you really think that a presidential candidate has time to personally address every group of soreheads with a gripe? I've never even expected such from Bush - and he certainly didn't do so either.

I must say that Bush and his refusing to discuss about his drug and drinking didn't impress me quite so much as Clinton BS with his "confession" "I didn't inhale" and "I didn't like it" HTF did he know he didn't like it if he didn't inhale? Wink
Oh well, what does one get to vote for anyway - it comes to a choice of one liar over another. Hell, McCain seems one of the more honest and honorable folks to have run in recent years and that was more liability than asset to him.

I will pass on addressing some of the more nonsensical things and spurious accusation. Kerry might be a creep but I think it would serve better to belittle for something real than the slander and name calling that so many indulge so freely.

"Hanoi John"? - That is an interesting comparison to Jane Fonda. Maybe later I will search for what one of them POW's said about some of the accusation about her. He said stuff to the effect that what was true about her dishonored her well enough and he did not think highly of the folks who circulated lies about what she did at the Hanoi Hilton. Some folks seem to think that lying about that demeaned the actual experience of the POW's.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: