SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Helicopter Medical Evacuation of a boat crewman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CW2 RE Chappell
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Helicopter Medical Evacuation of a boat crewman Reply with quote

I flew Chinook helicopters for the Army near the Saigon area. Had the opportunity to evac a Swift Boat crewman that had been shot in the head during a firefight on the river near the "Pineapple" area west of Saigon. The boats pulled into a 199th Light Infantry Brigade firebase on a canal and sought medical help. I was there loading empty ammunition boxes on a scrounging mission seeking building material. We dumped the boxes, loaded up the crewman and haulled ass for the hospital in Saigon. Later, we received word from the Navy that the crewman had survived due to the short time between his wounding and his arrival at the hospital. Part of the reason for the shortness of the flight was the speed at which I flew the aircraft....pulled the maximum speed I could and incurred the wrath of the maintenance officer and my CO until it was suggested by the Navy that we were due some sort of award. Avoided a very nasty scene as a result.

My real award from all that was knowing the guy survived due to our being able to help him. That was and is one of the things I talk about...it was good to be able to help someone that needed a hand. I would like to talk to anyone that might remember that event. If we could track down the wounded guy it would be even better. I can offer him another helicopter ride...but in much nicer surroundings.

Anyone remember this event?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, CW2. I too was Army helicopters, OH-6A in Nam and 58s later in Germany and Ft. Bragg. Although I don't know about the incident you describe, I do remember a similar incident being written about some time ago in Vietnam magazine when Chinooks were first sent over to Nam.

Nice to also see someone also in the area. I'm south of you in Vancouver.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter Medical Evacuation of a boat crewman Reply with quote

CW2 RE Chappell wrote:

My real award from all that was knowing the guy survived due to our being able to help him. That was and is one of the things I talk about...it was good to be able to help someone that needed a hand. I would like to talk to anyone that might remember that event. If we could track down the wounded guy it would be even better. I can offer him another helicopter ride...but in much nicer surroundings.

Hello ....

I was the "skipper" of a Swift Boat in 1967 near Chu Lai. Not near Saigon

But we have a Swift Boat discussion group with many sailors that served in
all areas and time periods. If you could be more specific on the timing - ie
year and month and again let me know the aproximate location - I will
ask in this group to see if anyone remembers the incident.

You were lucky ... usual medvacs from Swifts were not so straight forward.

Listen to the oral narrative by Bob Bolger and JD Wiggins of a Dust Off not
too far from Chu Lai: http://www.pcf45.com/rules/rules.html

Best Regards .... and we appreciate your helping out a shipmate in need

Bob Shirley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: