SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Real Honest to God Decorated War Hero
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: A Real Honest to God Decorated War Hero Reply with quote

Nothing phony about these medals....

Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Audie Murphy. Am I right?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you would be!
MACVJOE
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met him in 1959 in Dallas area. He was a very good person. He did not tell anyone he was a hero. Matter of fact all the attention he got turned him to the bottle. He was just a guy doing his job.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's compare him to a media made war hero......

Not even a close call as to who is the real deal here...

Last edited by The bandit on Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, Audie Murphy is rolling in his grave right about now. I surely could not speak for what he may think, but it is just my opinion that he would find Kerry reprehensible for padding his resume and cutting out on his Brothers the way he did.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, in his book To Hell and Back, Audie Murphy described every action that earned him a medal, but never mentioned the award he was given for each. You had to look in an appendix to see the list of awards he earned.

Even Audie Murphy considered the actions to speak louder than the awards.

'Nuff said.

Scott.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audie turned down a field commission at Anzio so he could continue his one man recons into German trenches. His personal body count was in the hundreds. It's hard to imagine his impoverished Texas youth and the carnage he experienced from the boyish image.
The Army exploited his heroism for publicity but did learn from him a valuble lesson. Two years continuous frontline duty (even though Audie couldn't be kept away and broke out of hospital to return) was not good for soldiers. Audie's nightmares broke a few marriages, he went to drink, threw his money away on the horses and died in his 40s.

The 4th most highly decorated WWII vet, Neville Brand likewise made little of his heroism while playing bad-guys in Hollywood. I'm unaware of any bio's on him.

Funny how WWII vets quietly put it behind them and got on with it. Mean while the two most bellicose on film and in politics, John Wayne and Frank Sinatra were WWII draft dodgers.

Last edited by I B Squidly on Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidley wrote:
Quote:
John Wayne and Frank Sinatra were WWII draft dodgers.

Marion walked funny. Frankie had Mob connections Wink

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrEntropy wrote:
I B Squidley wrote:
Quote:
John Wayne and Frank Sinatra were WWII draft dodgers.

Marion walked funny. Frankie had Mob connections Wink

Personally I think you guys need to check your facts....
Even though he didn't actually serve, he was most likely responsible for the enlistment of thousands of Marines, (including myself) and other services as well. The Duke, didn't try and get out of the service...
Readon.

First

"Duke had hoped to attend the U.S. Naval Academy and was named as an alternate selection to Annapolis, but the first choice took the appointment. Instead, he accepted a full scholarship to play football at the University of Southern California. There coach Howard Jones, who often found summer jobs in the movie industry for his players, got Duke work in the summer of 1926 as an assistant prop man on the set of a movie directed by John Ford."

When war broke out, John Wayne tried to enlist but was rejected because of an old football injury to his shoulder, his age (34), and his status as a married father of four. He flew to Washington to plead that he be allowed to join the Navy but was turned down. So he poured himself into the war effort by making inspirational war films - among them The Fighting Seabees, Back to Bataan and They Were Expendable. To those back home and others around the world he became a symbol of the determined American fighting man.

Duke could not be kept from the front lines. In 1944 he spent three months touring forward positions in the Pacific theater. Appropriately, it was a wartime film, Sands of Iwo Jima which turned him into a superstar. Years after the war, when Emperor Hirohito of Japan visited the United States, he sought out John Wayne, paying tribute to the one who represented our nation's success in combat.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Padma
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for the record, the FBI files released after Sinatra's death verify he really was "4-F". Wink
Quote:
An FBI agent related that "Sinatra's classification appeared to be regular and that he was disqualified because of a perforated eardrum and chronic mastoiditis and that his mental condition was one of mental instability."

F.B.I. Releases Its Sinatra File, With Tidbits Old and New (scroll down)
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Audie Murphy Reply with quote

gocars-
I doubt seriously that John Kerry has ever heard of Audie Murphy. The mere mention of Audie Murphy in the same sentence with John Kerry's name makes my skin crawl.... A bastard like Kerry hasn't any idea what real combat heroism is. I have a few medals, but I am not a hero and don't claim to be. However, I did witness heroism and sacrifice by others in 'Nam and if the accounts of what Kerry did (or didn't do) are accurate, he certainly shouldn't be considered a hero. Kerry defiles the memory of all brave men who have gallantly served in battle on behalf of the United States of America.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S. Army Rangers Lead the Way!
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hero..........

gocars
Rangers Lead the Way!
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck:
'twas a joke (the nudge-nudge kind)! That's why the "smiley" was at the end.
I wasn't viciously slaggin' Duke. Admittedly niether one of them are my personal fave's but I do know the contribution Wayne made to the war effort, and give him respect for that. I like his "later" stuff better (but I'll watch any of his war movies when they show up on TV). I'm a 'boomer' and as such grew up "under the wing" of some from the best generation we've known. Duke was a big part of that. Apologies for the ambiguity...

I still think he walks funny.

BTW, I absolutely loved GWB's retort to Kerry's "swagger" comment:

"In Texas we call that...

walking."

Brilliant! I just wish he'd correct his "nuke-ular" mis-pronounciation.
Wink

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
ToBNamedL8r
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:

The 4th most highly decorated WWII vet, Neville Brand likewise made little of his heroism while playing bad-guys in Hollywood. I'm unaware of any bio's on him.

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/neville_brand.html

Here is a site with a bio for Neville Brand.

The arrogance of jfk is what irks me. He talks about two Americas and doesn't even realized how he has built that wall himself and alientated himself from everyone else. He excludes himself from his brothers and insults them with lies during conflict, then wants to use them to get elected. He votes two different ways so he can claim them both, then gets upset when he is called a flip-fllop. He goes to a fast food restaurant to be seen as a normal person then brings in some pishposh food. He claims both sides of every issue and then, last night, says that the President will say anything to get re-elected.

Flush the johns!!!

Just tell me who, what and where. I can figure out the how and why myself. If you want to tell me how and why put it on the editorial page or the discussion boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: