SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support Our Friends AND EXPOSE OUR ADVERSARIES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Support Our Friends AND EXPOSE OUR ADVERSARIES Reply with quote

Background - One major "Big Box" chain has announced a program of active recruiting and hiring Iraq-Afghan vets including returned Reservists/Guardsmen.

At the same time another "Big Box" chain has begun terminating (i.e. - no family health insurance coverage; probably no re-employment rights) its Reservist/Guardsmen employees.

Also, some banks (credit card companies, car finance companies) are not complying with the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act. This is destroying Reservist/Guard credit ratings and burning up a lot of Standby Reserve JAG legal assistance time and a lot of active duty JAG Legal Assistance time.

Action - The time to be polite is over.

1. In one Central New York town where the Mayor cut off family health insurance coverage for a mobilized Guardsman - the political cry was sufficiently great that the Council "fired" the Mayor.

2. A "big box" auto parts seller denied full re-employment to its mobilized Guardsmen/Reservist employees - and after picketing and a boycott - the policy was changed and the store managers and regional manager were FIRED !!

3. We have to work through our veterans' groups, our Guard and Reserve Units, and the Web - to support our friends and "educate" (Twisted Evil ) our adversaries.

Remarks

1. I am fortunate (I am a retired Reservist - but I guess as an officer I am subject to recall until I am totally NPQ) -my employer gives military leave for the "duration", with continuation of benefits and "paying the difference between civilian pay and allowances and civilian salary".

2. Evil or Very Mad FLAME ON IMHO - employers who fail to ethically and morally live up the the the full committments of the Veterans Re-Employment Rights law and merchants and banks who push the envelope on Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act are TRAITORS - in the same bucket with Kerry and Jane Fonda and Tokyo Rose and Prescott Bush. FLAME OFF Twisted Evil
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. With FLAME ON. Thank you for the information. I like educate being in parens, because I think the only way is for them to lose their jobs.
Mattm
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigBoatAndy - Do you have names for these businesses, so I can redirect my spending money.

Thanks.

Are you an American or a Democrat?
ToBNamedL8r
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Takin' names and... Reply with quote

One of the most powerful tools Americans have is the right to chose the businesses with whom they do trade. On 9/11 several of the local quick shops boosted their gas prices to $4.00 a gallon. Since then several of them have lost most of their gas business due to boycotts in addition to fines imposed by the state for profiteering. Some of them regained a share of their business by apologizing and selling gas at well below market for a weekend (and by firing the manager who made the decision to gouge their fellow citizens).

I have no problem with boycotts. They have been a part of the American way of life since they boycotted even the delivery of tea in Boston. We ought to let people know who supports the military and who does not. We ought to be willing to give up the convenience of going to a nearby store when they treat our sisters and brothers badly. By all means, publish the names of these organizations. I would Evil or Very Mad raTHer not kerry Evil or Very Mad my business to people who take advantage of patriots.
kb

Just tell me who, what and where. I can figure out the how and why myself. If you want to tell me how and why put it on the editorial page or the discussion boards.
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: WE WON TWO BIG ONES Reply with quote

Home Depot had been rolling up all "Guvment" paperwork etc into one big ball - even the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (which is mandatory) and the various veterans preference laws. Their argument was that they just did not want "Guvment Interference" in their business.

Publicity and threats of boycots worked - and now Home Depot is recruiting returning Iraq War veterans (shades after 1945 Wink)

Same thing with Pep Boys. They had (depending on whose spin you buy into) either errant some store managers or am errant regional manager who were giving their Reservist and Guard employees a hard time. There was a major uproar in Pep Boys Philadelphia home town -- Philadelphia is a NAVY AND MARINE CORPS TOWN - as in Philadelphia son USMC General Tony Zinni and Philadelphia son USN Chief of Chaplains John Cardinal O'Connor. Pep Boys caved - and fired the errant managers - and is again a strong supporter of the Guard and Reserve.

We have to flex our collective muscle. Any current quarterly "gain" in short changing Reservists, Guadsmen, and veterans has got to lead to long term losses. BOTTOM LINE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: