SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank You Vets

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Thank You Vets Reply with quote

I am from your generation and missed going to Vietnam by days. I watched the anti-war movement from home as they slandered all of you fighting for us. It was sad. And, John Kerry led that pack of traitors.

Well, I say this to all of the Vietnam Vets. There were more Americans who loved you and still do than those of John Kerry's camp. I speak for myself when I say thank you for all you did for us in fighting the war no one wants to remember. God bless all of you. Your story of bravery and honor should be heard and it is, thanks to Swift Vets for Truth.

I will continue to listen and contribute to this board where appropriate.
Marine's Wife
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

Count me as another who is thankful and loves you for the hell you were put through. I always have and always will support you in any way I can. Smile
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments like this from those who didn't have to go are heartwarming. My first trip home, in 1970, more "old friends" wrote me off, from those who didn't know where I'd been, than welcomed me back.

Today, there are still a few who regret how they treated us and a few more showing some overdue pride in us. Still, as some recent posts have shown, there are those that still despise us, yet deny they do. Having values and standing up for what you believe is a foreign concept to them.

I never expected a parade or hero worship, but sure wasn't prepared for the disdain shown from many. Spitting may not have always been literal, but the figurative spitting hurts just as much and possibly, stays with us longer.

Again, I thank all who have made such heartwarming comments.
Marine's Wife
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

Lew, only the mindless,regardless of age would insult,and continue to "spit on" brave men and women who fight and die to protect even the sorry A---s doing the spitting.Ignore them.They are fools. Not worthy of the time it takes to read their crap!
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can reassure you, Lew that the majority of the new generation does not look upon Vietnam Vets with disrespect.

My two kids, aged 22 and 20 wouldn't even dare think badly for what you all did. The rock throwing anti-American protestors of the 60s are not remembered. It's the guys who fought, died, and lost limbs for my kids who are remembered.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Thank you & God Bless! Reply with quote

What is a Vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day and making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel. He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang. He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL. He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand. He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep. He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

---------Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC
FoxURA
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhist. You are absolutely right. I am currently 19 years old and while there are a few liberal nut jobs in my generation, the majority of kids I know seem to be reclaiming a sense of duty that was stolen away by the potesters of the Vietnam era. A sense of honor is also resurfacing.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power to you Fox. Your generation is our future, spread the word. The sleeping giant is wide awake, and anyone who threatens her will pay and there isn't a cave deep enough to hide. Patriotism and duty shall overcome those who mean her harm.
FoxURA
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only half right about the giant being awake. In time the giant will be fully awake and this nation will be ready to take on the enemy with maximum force, if need be, I imagine even nuclear weapons will be employed. This is when the US would have become tired of all these political games and will be yearning for a leader to do what it takes to win the war against terrorism just as Reagan did against Communism.

BTW: Marine4life
I have sent a PM to you.
Marine's Wife
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

Kate I used to have this in my files,and posted it every time I saw ignorant people bashing the U.S. The bottom feeders would complain to the board owner,and it was deleted. May I copy/paste this on my site,where I'm the "Boss Dog". Very Happy I know there are people who need to be reminded .TIA.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine's wife -- copy/paste away. It is all over the internet.
This is also attributed to having been included in those
remarks by Father O'Brien

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag."
------Charles M. Province
Marine's Wife
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

Thanks! This last part is what got me in trouble when I'd post it. Guess some people don't want to know where their freedom comes from. Crying or Very sad
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, many don't believe their freedoms are due to the actions of our military. They seem to believe they are just born with it and somehow, it's always there.

The poem was penned by Father Denis Edward O'Brian, USMC, although I don't know exactly when.

Another one I found some time ago;

Quote:
"It was the Soldier"

When you hear the bells of freedom ring
And you know that you are free-
And you have the right to do what may,
Things were not always this way.

Freedom hasn't always been
The Freedom we know now
It was the soldier of the field
Who made us free somehow.

But again it wasn't an accident
It was by their loyalty
They laid their lives down on the line
To give us freedom FREE

It was the soldier....
Who alone in some God-forsaken land
Who slept in trenches, with mud and cold
Who knelt beside a dying friend
Whose hand had just grown cold

It was the soldier....
Who wrote his children letters
From the depths of forests dim
Who told those children "grow up proud"
To love and pray for him

Years of service some have given
Our soldiers brave and tall
All gave everything they could
But some of them gave ALL

Yes, it was the soldier...
Who joined the ranks of services
To protect this land they loved
And some are still protecting us
From the light of God above

So when you hear the freedom bells
O'er the land, you'll hear them ring
Remember...it was the Soldier
Who paid the price for freedom's ring

A special thanks for all who served
And those serving yet today
May God bless our soldiers
And God bless the USA

By: Jene' Lind
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: