SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youngsters are coming around?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Youngsters are coming around? Reply with quote

Quote:
Dead Heat
A new poll finds the two candidates neck-and-neck among young voters

Sept. 24 - John Kerry’s lead among younger voters has vanished as they become increasingly inclined to see the country as headed in the right direction, according to the first GENEXT poll conducted since the Republican National Convention in August.

If the election were held today, the two main candidates would be neck-and-neck among under-30 voters, with 45 percent of them voting for Kerry and 44 percent for President George W. Bush. Independent candidate Ralph Nader draws 6 percent of the youth vote. Last month Kerry had the support of 50 percent of young voters, Bush had 41 percent. (In the most recent NEWSWEEK poll of all registered voters, taken between Sept. 9 and 10, Bush led Kerry with 49 percent of the vote versus the challenger's 43 percent.)

The increased support for Bush is also reflected in the narrowing spread between younger voters who believe the country is headed along the right track or in the wrong direction. Last month, 54 percent of those polled felt the country was headed in the wrong direction, compared to 42 percent who saw it as being on the right track. In the new poll, nearly as many people felt it was on the right track (47 percent) as felt it was heading in the wrong direction (51 percent).

I didnt think Bush had a chance with the young vote , this is the best news ive heard all week.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my "Sink Kerry Swiftly" supply of bumper stickers went to young people here.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lets not underestimate our youth, they are a pretty bright bunch and they're all internet savy so you can bet they read this site and all of the others out there.
jerake
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I wanted to add to this post. Let me also say that I love what you guys are doing here - it's just incredible what the truth can do.

I'm 29, so I guess that puts me barely under the "30 and younger" crowd... My dad is a Vietnam Vet and a Marine, and most of my older sisters went into the armed forces as well, which was probably the catalyst in my anger at Kerry's blatant lies about his military service. I saw one of the Swifties' ads for the first time back in August, I think...wow, did that ever open up my eyes.

When I was 18 and in college, Clinton was just elected President, and growing up with him, his cronies, and his personal and polictical antics in the White House more than persuaded me to turn away from any sort of affiliation with the Democratic party. It was just one lie after another out of that administration; it seemed they were only out to further themselves and watch the country go to hell in a handbasket. It made me ill to watch any of them on my TV. What really struck me was that Clinton and his gang didn't really seem to care about this country; it was all pretense and pretty words.

In any event, ever since then I've pretty much voted Republican, not because I'm particularly attached to that party, but from what I've read and seen (and I've found so many great resources for information, thanks to this site), they seem more interested in keeping the nation independent, sovereign, and strong. Sounds a bit sappy to my friends, and I take some heat for it, but it's just my opinion...

And you know what else? I used to get sick hearing Clinton speak...I had no idea the illness and anger I was in for after hearing Kerry speak over the past few weeks.

Anyways, thanks...

Last edited by jerake on Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
1riverrun
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 18 years old ok well im 19 on Sunday. Anyways there are two things that I hear young voters say:

1. I plan to vote republican young and plan to vote democratic old...
2. Ohh I voted for ^&^*%&$^ Democrat becuase everyone else did.

I cant tell you the amount of people I talk to tell them what Bush does, how it effects people and my view of Kerry

The response ohhh well I will consider a different canidate.
pneal
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto!!! Very Happy These kids aren't stupid. My 18 yr old daughter and her many friends will be first time voters on Nov 2. They support the SwiftVets and George Bush. I'm sooooo proud! Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
neverforget wrote:
Many of my "Sink Kerry Swiftly" supply of bumper stickers went to young people here.

eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 here, Bush all the way, and I'm working on my misguided friends =)
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to get religious on everybody, but this thought just popped into my mind.

Acts 2:17
In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

...whodathunk God was the original blogger? Shocked

...OK, so when the last days get here, I hope folks read some of the posts by these fine young men and women and heed their words. Very Happy
thrawn21
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the poll amongst us youngers seems legit, but the reason I still hold reservations about the poll is that I really don't see much visible Bush support at Penn State, University Park at State College, PA. I see my share of Kerry buttons and stickers and also the sheer "hate Bush" stuff like "Bush: American Terrorist" or "Defend America, Defeat Bush".

But, then again, it could also be due to peer pressure. The notion that some college student could be voting for Kerry because their friends want them to doesn't seem wrong. However, the "sliver lining" in that could be that since the voting box is anonoymous, somebody could tell their friends that they are voting for Kerry, but pull the lever for somebody else in the booth. Also for the lack of visible Bush support, that could be due to the youthful Kerry zealots perhaps keying cars with Bush stickers and taking Bush buttons. It's possible, but we'll see on November 3rd for sure, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: