SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New TV ad features Murray's Osama bin Laden comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wovenhearts
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: New TV ad features Murray's Osama bin Laden comments Reply with quote

I am from Washington State, following closely all the Swift Vet news since early August. Thank you for all of your hard work! You have motivated me to give several times to this great cause. We must prevent a Kerry Presidency, as it would be a disaster, especially in regards to the war on terror. I have been working on the George Nethercutt Senate campaign against Patty Murray. Get a load of his latest ad:

New TV ad features Murray's Osama bin Laden comments

September 29, 2004

In the wake of 9/11, Sen. Patty Murray said Osama bin Laden's "been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. Hes made their lives better. We have not done that."

George Nethercutt has a different approach. He knows winning the war on terror means fighting terrorists not excusing them.

Watch the ad: http://www.nethercuttforsenate.com/go.cfm?do=Page.View&pid=29

Script of new TV ad "Different"

ANNCR:
When most Americans think of Osama bin Laden, they think of this.

Patty Murray has a different view of Osama bin Laden.

MURRAY CLIP:
He’s been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. He’s made their lives better.

We have not done that.

ANNCR:

He’s made lives better?

NETHERCUTT:
I’m George Nethercutt and I approved this message -- because winning the war on terror means fighting terrorists – not excusing them.

http://www.nethercuttforsenate.com/go.cfm?do=News.View&nid=145[/b]

Murray has a lot of support from liberal Democrats. Nethercutt is within 7 points of Murray. He needs the support of concerned citizens from around the country!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing that she actually said that.

Thanks for the post and welcome. Wink
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should pitch in and get her a one way ticket to Iran, maybe she would see how lovely the mullahs are towards women like her.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this drivel from the left before, Murray is not the only one to say it, sadly. I am glad to hear it is being made very public. Hoist 'em high on their own petards, and let 'em flap in the wind generated by their own hot air.

Good luck and God bless you in your work to get Mr. Nethercutt elected in WA. I know that is a tough row to hoe out there.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it, wovenhearts, but thanks for the post and welcome. The ad knocked me off my chair. The ad actually shows more than most media did at the time 2 yrs ago, and it hurts her. No missing context here.

It is devastating and un-respondable, in the tradition of Swift ad #2 - hang 'em with their own words. It's big news here and Murray's all over the news channels accusing Nethercutt of "lying" which is a grave tactical error, since we can plainly see for ourselves what she said.

Don't miss it! It just prompted me to donate to George's campaign.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: New TV ad features Murray's Osama bin Laden comments Reply with quote

Patty Murray wrote:
...Osama bin Laden's "been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. Hes made their lives better....

I wonder if they have a burkah in her size. It certainly would make OUR lives better and save a fortune on "orange tan in a can." I wonder if they have one in Moore's size. His savings might supply Syracuse University for a whole year. LOL
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
Amazing that she actually said that.

What is sad is that our state is also "blessed" with McDermot of like ilk who actually went to Iraq just before the war.

A bloody shame our state is controlled by the residents of a narrow strip of land next to the ocean.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you, but everytime I see her swinging that apple and drolly saying, "I won't back down," in her usual monotone voice, I just crack up. Laughing
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that any woman could examine the work of these Islamic terrorists, the Talaban, the mullahs and not support bombing these "men" into dust.

I am amazed that any woman could hear about the rape torture of Saddam's sons and be against the war in Iraq.

I am amazed that any woman would support the Islamic religion.

I am amazed that any woman would support John Kerry.
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awe yes, Taliban Patty, I will never forget her comments being they were made on my birthday and at one of our local high schools!! As far as I was concerned then as I still am today she is another Hanoi Jane!!

wovenhearts, keep up the great work with the Nethercutt Camp, we proudly have his 4 x 8 sign attached to our fence and we live on a busy street!!

Honor, Courage and Committment
something John F. Kerry doesn't have
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New TV ad features Murray's Osama bin Laden comments Reply with quote

wovenhearts wrote:
In the wake of 9/11, Sen. Patty Murray said Osama bin Laden's "been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. Hes made their lives better. We have not done that."

I recall reading about people who lauded Hitler for restoring the German economy and building the Autobahns.

Morons.
peacethrustrength
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Osama Momma Reply with quote

Great ad. I absolutely cannot believe that a Senator is that out of touch with reality. Point me in the direction, we need her out of there.
wovenhearts
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: from Kerry Spot (National Review) and Seattle Times Reply with quote

wanted to update this post with new commentary from the Kerry Spot and the local Seattle newspaper (which is very liberal!)

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

FINALLY, SOMEONE'S HOLDING SENATOR OSAMA DAY CARE CENTERS TO ACCOUNT [09/30 01:12 PM]

This is only marginally related to presidential campaign news, but I feel a need to highlight it anyway. Finally - finally - someone is holding Sen. Patty Murray accountable for her inane comments from a few years back about how Osama bin Laden is beloved in the Middle East because he builds schools, hospitals, and day care centers and the United States doesn't.

In the sharpest attack of his campaign, Republican U.S. Senate candidate George Nethercutt launched a television ad yesterday using video of Democratic incumbent Sen. Patty Murray's controversial comments about Osama bin Laden to portray her as weak on terrorism.
The new ad — which Murray and fellow Democrats quickly denounced as lies — juxtaposes images of bin Laden and the smoldering World Trade Center ruins with video of Murray speaking to high-school students in Vancouver, Wash., in December 2002. During that talk, Murray attributed bin Laden's popularity in parts of the world to his generosity toward the poor.

"He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day-care facilities, building health-care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. He's made their lives better. We have not done that." Murray said, in the portion of her comments replayed by the ad.

The ad closes with Nethercutt saying, "Winning the war on terror means fighting terrorists, not excusing them."

I realize intelligent people may disagree with me about the war on terror. I realize there are problems with the way the U.S. is fighting al-Qaeda around the globe. I realize that I myself have done many stupid things in my life and I say stupid things with alarming frequency.

But if you A) think bin Laden's appeal to the Muslim world is that he builds day care centers, health care facilites and roads, and B) are not aware that the United States spends $1 billion a year on Egypt alone, never mind the rest of the U.S. Agency for International Development projects, you are too stupid to be a U.S. senator. Period.

I realize that's harsh, I realize it's not elevating the debate to call an incumbent U.S. senator "stupid," but at some point political figures have to be held accountable. I cannot think of any statement by any other figure, left, right or center, that exposes such a jaw-dropping ignorance of the greatest issue of our time.

And later in the article, we read that Max Cleland and Patty Murray are calling the ad the work of a "Republican slime machine."

No. No, no, no. You do not get to dismiss an ad, using the actual words of an incumbent, in context, as part of a "slime machine."

I have no idea if George Nethercutt will beat Patty Murray. But I have a deep suspicion that if a Republican ever said anything that stupid about such an important issue, members of his own party would be hurling rotten fruit at him, not rushing to denounce his critics as a "slime machine."

UPDATE: Many, many readers agree. Stephan asks "why one would need day care centers in a country that didn't allow women to leave the home," while George points out that Murray's comment came around the same time that a jihadi gunman entered a Yemen hospital and murdered three Americans. Yeah, these thugs and murderers place a real high value on "health-care facilities."

Here is the link to the complete Seattle Times article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2002049971_murray30m.html
[/url]
wovenhearts
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: John Carlson's commentary on Murray's ad: good! Reply with quote

Here is an excellent commentary by John Carlson about Murray's ad that appeared in todays King County Journal. Sure wish you all could help get George Nethercutt elected here in Washington State!!!
http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/174871

Sen. Murray has little justification to decry ad

John Carlson / King County Journal / 10-3-04

``George Nethercutt's ad is a lie -- and he knows it.''

-- Sen. Patty Murray

What ad? The one showing Patty Murray at a Vancouver school telling students that Osama bin Laden is popular because he builds schools and day-care centers for people in the Arab world and we don't? Here's the quote:

``He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day-care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. He's made their lives better. We have not done that.''

Sen. Murray is furious, saying that the ad insinuates that she supports bin Laden. No, that is not what the commercial conveys. Any candidate who ran an ad suggesting that his opponent supports bin Laden and the 9/11 attacks would simply be laughed out of the race. Her supporters in the Seattle media who echo her accusations should step back and take a closer look.

What the ad actually shows is Patty Murray unplugged: without the advisers, consultants and speechwriters. The ad is not at all out of context (I've heard the longer tape and have talked to Sen. Murray about it). She rhetorically asks the students why bin Laden was so popular in parts of the Arab world, then answers her own question by essentially arguing that the man is a Latter-day Arab New Dealer. She then contrasted bin Laden's generosity with our own parsimony, concluding that maybe if we were ``better neighbors out in other countries'' they might think better of us.

Let me say this as succinctly as possible: The senator is wrong on every count. She is wrong about bin Laden's generosity, she is dreadfully wrong about American parsimony and she is wrong about why he is popular in some of these places. Bin Laden's followers aren't building infrastructure, they're blowing it up -- in Afghanistan, Iraq, Spain, Russia, Bali, the Philippines, Turkey, etc. As for bin Laden himself, who is now either dead or in deep hiding, he has never built a day-care center in his life. He would condemn their very existence. Any medical facilities he built were for jihadists injured in battle. There is no record of his building any schools, (which of course would be closed to girls), but some of his money may have gone toward militant maddrasses where boys are immersed in a world of hatred of Israel, Jews, Americans and the West, a curriculum that morphs them into the kind of Islamic fanatics that cheer suicide bombers the way that kids cheer Ichiro.

He built a militant mosque in Afghanistan, but again, the purpose was to foment blind hatred of the West. If Patty Murray walked down a street in business attire and no headcover in bin Laden's Afghanistan, she'd be beaten with sticks in broad daylight. Calling the cops wouldn't help; the cops would be the ones beating her.

``He's made life better for them?'' Show me where, Sen. Murray. Name the country. Name the town. Saying that bin Laden built infrastructure in Afghanistan is like saying that crackpot racist Richard Butler, who ran the Aryan Nations compound, built infrastructure in Hayden Lake, Idaho.

As for Sen. Murray's claims that Americans have not helped build schools, hospitals and roads, she is simply mistaken. America is doing more than any other country to build the infrastructure of a nation decimated by eight years of Taliban rule. The senator has acknowledged on the radio that she was wrong to make that claim when she made it.

But Sen. Murray's biggest mistake -- and that of the media trying to cover for her -- is tying bin Laden's popularity to his phantom generosity. Bin Laden is popular for the same reason the Jordanian killer Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is popular: He murders people and terrorizes Western societies that his followers already despise. He's playing offense against the infidels.

Our response should be two-fold. First, target the terrorists that are targeting us, and second, plant the flag of democracy in the very places they have operated from. Nothing is as deadly to religious fascists as the light of liberty and democracy. That's why they're killing voter registrars in Afghanistan. That's why they're blowing up schoolchildren in Iraq. We either run or we win. George Nethercutt has already figured that out. Patty Murray, after nearly a dozen years in the U.S. Senate, still has it wrong.

John Carlson is founder of Washington Policy Center and can be heard daily from 3-6 p.m. on radio station KVI-570. His column appears every other Sunday. Readers can contact him via e-mail at jcarlson@ fisherradio.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: