SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Debate Topic - COMMENTS HERE ONLY Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, and at the time Kerry spoke about it, I was screaming. "Kerry is a traitor!!!"

And I was thinking that Bush would remind American voters that even after more than 40 years of WW II, the US still has military bases in Japan and Germany.

Kerry, in my opinion, is really a traitor.

hanna wrote:
Another thing that is troubling is Kerry saying he would eliminate all the bases that Bush is currently building and would have no bases in Iraq. I have always believed that one of the reasons for going into iraq when we did was so we had a place in the region to fly from because Saudi had been insisting we get out of there for quite some time.

Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul R. wrote:
I wonder if Bush could find some polite way, without naming names, to point out that some of the countries that did not join the coalition did not because the status quo was to their financial advantage?

I just keep thinking about what Bush did right tonight -- and today -- that goes way beyond debating points. He worked on the relief effort this morning and I don't believe he did it for a photo op. He did it because he cares and he knows it lifts people up to see that their president cares.

During the debate there were many things he could not say and to name the countries that did not join in the coalition was one of them. Bush was extremely careful to maintain cordial relations with our friends and potential friends while remaining strong against our enemies, the terrorists. He never slammed anybody. He never attacked anybody. He took the high road completely.

In the grand scheme of things, he did everything right! I just think that, the Dem-loaded fake polls notwithstanding, as the public reflects on what really went on in this debate tonight and that begins to seep into the public consciousness -- and it will regardless of what the media and opinion polls say -- over the next several days George Bush will be seen to be the real winner.
MTS17446
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry (talking about Iran) Said:

Quote:
I think the United States should have offered the opportunity to provide the nuclear fuel, test them, see whether or not they were actually looking for it for peaceful purposes. If they weren't willing to work a deal, then we could have put sanctions together. The president did nothing.

Yeah...and when they test their first bomb, what are we suppose to think then Senator Kerry?

Last edited by MTS17446 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanna wrote:
Well I think most of us are pretty disappointed. I really did think he would do much better than he did and quite honestly, Kerry did better than I thought he would, especially if you look at it through the eyes and ears of that "undecided" segment that are not as a political as the rest of us.

Bottom line, we have a lot of work to do and as we have known all along, it ain't gonna be easy:/

Bush did at one point call Kerry's position "absurd." That's pretty strong stuff.

-- FDL
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: The Debate Topic - COMMENTS HERE ONLY Please Reply with quote

Media outlets are reporting that Kerry scored a victory and is back into the race. Although a strong supporter and continued supporter of President Bush he had problems in the debate, he did look tired and agitate. He did not articulate in detail what is his Iraq plan, remember Kerry quoted his 4 point plan and mentioned his website address too...

Kerry showed that he was well prepared and a formidable debater....

President Bush has his work cut out in the future and his advisors need to do better...

Not sure whether Kerry's tarnished military record will have any further major effect on the election, Kerry was able to use his military background effectively tonight...

Strategies and action plans are needed to ensure Bush wins reelection. DNC 527's have the voter registration drive in their favor too.... seems RNC may need an awakening...

JK
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Nuclear Fuel to Iran Reply with quote

Now THAT should be something to E-mail Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and lots of other conservative commentators. Is Kerry CRAZY--to give Iran nuclear fuel to make bombs with?

Maybe the Bush campaign could make an ad about THAT one--it's got nothing to do with Vietnam or Swift Boats!!!
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: MISSING IMPORTANT POINTS Reply with quote

I do believe that Bush's camp was overconfident. They were still pushing the President to campaign this morning, and worse of all, they missed the great article published in the Wall Street Journal this morning:

How comes the Bush's camp didn't even pick one of the suggested rebuttals presented in the article?

Kerry "the liar" kept talking about 90% of the casualties and $200 billions of Iraq war costs. Goodness, if only they paid a little bit attention to the following article.

Our Kerry Iraq Guide
Debate tips for the Democratic nominee.

Thursday, September 30, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

Tonight's first Presidential debate will cover foreign policy, and you can be sure John Kerry will be on the attack over Iraq. Fair enough, we're all for making this election a war referendum. But as a helping hand to the Senator, we'd like to warn him to stay away from some of the lines he's been using on the stump. They could get him into trouble.

For example, we hope Mr. Kerry steers clear of his vow that, unlike President Bush, he will get the French and Germans to send forces to Iraq. This would give Mr. Bush the opening to quote Peter Struck, the German Defense Minister, who recently told Der Spiegel that "No German soldier shall enter Iraq."

Or Mr. Bush could cite Monday's article in the Financial Times: "French and German government officials say they will not significantly increase military assistance in Iraq even if John Kerry, the Democratic presidential challenger, is elected." Foreign Minister Michel Barnier added last week that France had no plans to send troops "either now or later." No debater wants to get caught contradicting his own political allies. And if he wants to appear gracious, Mr. Kerry might even congratulate Mr. Bush on last week's NATO agreement to help train Iraqi military officers.

Mr. Kerry will also want to avoid his frequent claim that the U.S. has "borne nearly 90% of the casualties" and is providing 90% of the troops. On the first point, the U.S. has suffered 800 killed in action since the Iraq war began, 1,053 including non-combat deaths. Our uniformed Iraqi allies, however, have already suffered at least 750 combat deaths. And that doesn't include the recruits who've been killed by car bombs as they've waited to enlist in the police or new Iraq army. Even using, er, liberal math, this would put U.S. killed-in-action at about 50% of the total.

As for the total number of troops, Lieutenant General David Petraeus recently wrote in the Washington Post that some 100,000 Iraqi police and soldiers have been trained and equipped, in addition to the 74,000 Iraqis who are guarding oil pipelines and the like as part of the country's new facilities protection service. With some 138,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, and another 25,000 foreign coalition troops, that puts the U.S. share at closer to 50%, and falling fast as General Petraeus trains ever more Iraqis, who continue to volunteer by the thousands for duty.
Dick Holbrooke, or someone, might want to tell Mr. Kerry that this point is less about math than strategy. If Mr. Kerry ignores the contribution from Iraqi troops, he will be showing that he doesn't understand that training an effective Iraqi force is the only way American troops can depart and credibly claim victory. Yes, we know, Iraqis are fighting for their own country on their own soil. But does anyone imagine that in calculating troop levels in World War I, say, that we would have excluded the French because they were fighting on their soil? We doubt Mr. Kerry wants to give President Bush that huge opening.

By the way, the Senator would also be wise to break his habit of comparing the first Gulf War favorably to the current one--and not merely because he voted against the first but for the second. In the first Gulf War he now says he likes, the alliance totaled 34 countries. In the current Iraq conflict, the alliance includes . . . 30 countries.

It's true the French flew some Mirage jet missions in the earlier war, and the Syrians showed up for the cameras, but the U.S. still deployed the bulk of that Desert Storm force (500,000 troops) and took about 80% of the overall casualties. In the present world, there simply aren't many nations other than the U.S. and Britain that can field large overseas military deployments. Voters will want to know that a candidate for President understands this.

Finally, Mr. Kerry will want to be careful in asserting that the war has cost us "$200 billion," which is "nearly 90% of the bill in Iraq." It's true that $200 billion is the amount Congress has approved in supplemental war spending bills, but only $120 billion is for war-fighting in Iraq. The rest is for Afghanistan--a war Mr. Kerry claims to like and wants to spend more on--and economic or reconstruction aid.
Other nations in the Iraq coalition have pledged something like $13 billion. And that doesn't count the contribution that the world has made in promising to forgive upward of $80 billion in Iraqi debt. Even before the Kerry victory it covets, France has said it will write off some 50% of its Iraq debt. Add up all of those numbers (the U.S. has minimal Iraqi debt) and the U.S. share of overall Iraqi costs also looks a lot less "unilateral."

We could go on, but it's only a 90-minute debate. We want it to be a fair fight, not to mention an honest one, so we thought Mr. Kerry might appreciate our little crib sheet.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok debate #1 is over and I’m left with just one question. What debate?
Hello!! Can we put a picture of a big question mark on a milk carton? Maybe someone will report it somewhere? Maybe we should setup a debate hotline.

Follow me on this one for just a second. The way I see it is we had…

a.) One man that showed up for a debate (after a really hard days work mind you doing disaster relief) (Bush)
b.) Your typical lip flapper doing an infomercial trying to sell you something you don’t want, like a string on a stick (Kerry)

One man showed up to ANSWER questions and the other one just left us with more questions. Now I have a headache AND my fingers are sore!
As far as I saw Bush walked away a clear victor! Not to shabby for someone that had to debate a schizophrenic used car salesman!

My personal poll

Bush nuked Kerry by just showing up Very Happy
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:
I'm with openfish. SNAP OUT OF IT, PEOPLE!

If I wanted to hang out with pessimists and sad sacks I would become a Demoncrat and hang out at moveon.orgy. Smoke dope, go bra-less, and march around with a sign. But I don't wanna, so KNOCK IT OFF!

Sheesh, people! Chin up, chest out, eyes front...

I second this, Kimmymac!

I am reminded of what Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan's great friend, once said to her family when she came home after battling her foes in the Parliament all day long only to hear the same doubts from her husband and children:: "I have listened to crap at work and I do NOT expect to have to listen to it in my own house!'

Sure, we're concerned. But buck up! Bush will win. He has to and he will.

I'm posting my email response to a liberal Dem friend of mine who wrote tonight saying, 'Kerry won the debate. Sorry but he did.' And then I'm going to bed. Looking forward to reading the next 10 pages of this thread tomorrow morning Smile

You're right. Kerry won the debate tonight. But save your sorry in case he becomes your president. Then you will know what sorry is all about. I thought Kerry looked very presidential, sounded very presidential and acted (for sure *acted*) very presidential. For the 'undecideds' who supposedly don't start to listen until the first debate, if they listened tonight, knowing nothing about anything, I thought they would elect Kerry in a heartbeat and would not find out till sometime after the election that the man is a pathological liar. His reality/world view consists of 'I said it therefore it is so.' Now Clinton was a liar but he knew it; he had a conscience and was an unconvincing liar because of it. And well ya know the economy was booming and we were all feeling good so heck who cares elect the guy. But Kerry is not in reality. He stood there and flat out lied and lied and lied. Continuously.

Bush looked tired, sounded tired, acted tired. He missed several opportunities to rebut Kerry specifically and so simply reverted to message. I have a notion he may have been coached to do that as Kerry is the sort of 'debater' who will say anything and he told so many lies it was impossible, within the time limit, to rebut them all.

I was worried at first that Kerry's fake tan and his $200 coiffure and his new manicure and his Armani muscle suit and his air of gravitas would convince know nothings that he actually knew what he was talking about and that Bush's poor old tired demeanor would be a wash with those who like their presidents... well... presidential.

But you know what, I know you don't believe it because you are so used to acts you don't know the real thing when you see it. But George Bush stood there tonight, a moral man, a sincere and earnest man. He spoke from the heart. He spoke from experience. He spoke as a man who cares about our country and the individuals in it. Something Kerry did not convey and no matter how 'convincingly' Kerry lies, he will never convey a core truth that simply is not there. Something tells me that tired old Dubya spoke to the hearts of the American people tonight and he won them.
G'night all Smile

Last edited by Wynne on Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm with openfish. SNAP OUT OF IT, PEOPLE!

If I wanted to hang out with pessimists and sad sacks I would become a Demoncrat and hang out at moveon.orgy. Smoke dope, go bra-less, and march around with a sign. But I don't wanna, so KNOCK IT OFF!

Sheesh, people! Chin up, chest out, eyes front...

Right on! There's a great line in Star Trek - TNG, about "turning disadvantage into advantage." Bush was not at his best, but Kerry said a lot that can be used against Kerry. Review those tapes & transcripts people, and think of every angle to help win over the undecideds. Then go work on it!
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is already posted...but despite the spin, this is good news.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/polls/2004-09-30-debate-poll.htm
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I agree azpatriot, it was like a JFnK infomercial. Kerry never answered anything, he just kept talking about himself. And talking, and talking. It seemed like he knew in advance what the questions were gonna be. He started answering BEFORE Lehrer stopped asking.

Sayyyy....WOW! What a scandal that would be!

Hey fortdixlover: I am actually kind of tired of saying stuff on the net and then hearing it repeated on Rush the next day, so if you send that to him, do me a favor and ask him if he will at least hire me to write for him so I can make some money. I mean, it isn't just themes or ideas, sometimes it is exact words.

I really don't mind providing material, but I wouldn't mind making a few $$$. Cool
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul R. wrote:
Bush was not at his best, but Kerry said a lot that can be used against Kerry.

So what? Kerry does that every day. That isn't any sort of automatic disqualification until it's brought home to the voters, and then not all will believe you. John f-ing Kerry is going to be hard to defeat, make no mistake. He has lied for over 30 years, and he's still getting away with it!!!!!!!!
crazyndn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way I'm happy this came out as a draw or a slight win for Kerry. I have been very worried about the Bush camp and the Bush base getting to complacent as of late.

NO race is ever over until the last vote is cast on Super Tuesday.

I'm glad Bush didn't put Kerry away, there is no such thing as putting someone away in the first debate anyway, and it’s silly to think that.

NOW Bush supporters know what many of us political junkies new all along, Kerry would not go down without a fight. He will lie, twist words, and use any tactic to make himself look good.

This is a slug fest folks, remember this and heed it well, a cornered dog is a dangerous animal, and it's high time we started treating this race as if Bush is behind 15 points in every poll and his victory will not count until the last polling district closes.
MTS17446
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was more believable

Bush 50, Kerry 44

Game, Set, Match if you ask me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 29 of 45

Jump to: