SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something Odd About New Kerry Ad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamyoshida
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Something Odd About New Kerry Ad Reply with quote

(I'm sorry this is in HTML- but that's how I prepared it for elsewhere. Here's a linkl to my website:

http://www.adamyoshida.com/2004/10/something-odd-about-latest-kerry-ad.html

Thanks- AY).

I'll leave aside the bizarre idea of taking out ads to insist that you won a debate, but I noticed something else odd in the latest ad coming out of the Kerry Campaign.

Look closely at that headline and quote. It says "Skewed Intelligence on Iraq Colored the March to War". It cites the source of that as the Sunday edition of <em>The New York Times</em> (October 3, 2004).

Well, here's the interesting thing: a search of the <em>Times' </em>web site shows that the phrase has never appeared there.

A search for the shorter phrase "Skewed Intelligence" again yields no hits.

A seach for simply the word "skewed" shows that it last showed up in the <em>Times</em> on September 29th.

Now, my assumption is that the headline shown in the Kerry commercial refers to this story in the Sunday edition of the <em>Times</em>, entitled <em>"How the White House Embraced Disputed Arms Intelligence."</em>

But note, the headline on the Kerry commercial is in quotation marks, representing it as an exact quote from the times.

This leaves us, in my view, with three options:

1) The Kerry campaign's ad people paraphrased (or guessed at) the title of a forthcoming story and stuck it in the ad.
2) Someone from the <em>Times</em> told the Kerry campaign a proposed title ahead of time and it was later changed.
3) For some other reason the title of the article referenced and the actual article do not match.
4) I'm an idiot who is missing something obvious.

I don't know which is the answer at the moment. But I'd sure like your help.
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Something Odd About New Kerry Ad Reply with quote

adamyoshida wrote:
I'll leave aside the bizarre idea of taking out ads to insist that you won a debate

Isn't that pathetic? Why in the world would you spend advertising dollars to claim that you won the debate? Rolling Eyes

The most effective part of the ad is the NYT article, so it'll be interesting to see what you find out about this article.
adamyoshida
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still see nothing with those words.

I mean, it more or less paraphrases what the article says- but it's so specific, and in quotation marks.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this. The article was ghost written by camp Kerry, and an editor did some "editing".
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Oct 3rd is tomorrow, maybe the story isn't posted on the website yet?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Michael Moore produced the ad. He fabricated a newspaper headline for F911, after all...
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is in todays New York Times but the New York Times changes the headline before it publishes probably to hide the evidence. So, the Kerry Camp gets advanced notice of future articles so they can get their ads in sync. I think it's about time that the New York Times gets the Rather treatment.

Go to Original
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/international/middleeast/03tube.html

Skewed Intelligence Data in March to War in Iraq
By David Barstow, William J. Broad, and Jeff Gerth
The New York Times
from another winner fake website Liberals own to make people think they know anything about truth.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/printer_100304A.shtml

Sunday 03 October 2004

In 2002, at a crucial juncture on the path to war, senior members of the Bush administration gave a series of speeches and interviews in which they asserted that Saddam Hussein was rebuilding his nuclear weapons program.

Do a search on Google News and there are two sites that have it listed this way. The other site is http://www.infoshop.orgYour Online Anarchy Community.

SBD
adamyoshida
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured that to be the most likely option.

After all, the ad was up on the Kerry web site by 9ish PDT last night so, I imagine, it would have been cut some time earlier in the day. Probably around noon or so.

So, then the question becomes: what was the New York Times doing giving the Kerry campaign it's headlines ahead of time for use in an attack ad?
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send this to Drudge, FOX and all the others. I did.

Stolen Honor
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk Forum

Thanks
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some papers print early editions the day before. I know a couple of weeks ago, we received on Saturday morning, a complimentary copy of the Sunday Atlanta Journal and Constitution in hopes we'd see what we were missing and take out a subscription. They didn't know we choose to not waste our money on that excuse for a paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: