SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kerry's Shipmate"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lord, Navy Navy Navy, please tell me you know what shore lines and sky hooks are. I could also tell you the one about a Canadian WAVE and a box of fallopian tubes for the electronics department, but....
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"What's a sea bat?"

Five dollars. Just like downtown.

Now, would you like to swap it for a bucket of prop wash, or what's behind Door Number Three?
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, if only we had some razzzzzberries emoticons!

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

I never got caught with flight line or prop wash. Hrmppphhh! Wink

A sea bat is five bucks? Why would he want to give Traitor John five bucks?

Never mind, you goofballs.... DH just called and explained the sea bat. Rolling Eyes Leave it to sailors! LOL!
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Okay, having once asked a poster on another board, (in my complete ignorance) "What's a dickfer?" I am now rather leery of even asking, but, "What's a sea bat?"

(I just know I'm going to have a DOH! moment when I hear. Wink )

OK, to the best of MY old memory. After dark, at sea, especially if there is no moon, it's like about as dark as anyone is ever likely to encounter. So, you get yourself a swab bucket (USN regulation, galvinized, 5 Gal, NOIBN). The bucket is covered with a piece of canvas, liberated from other less important duties, into which a small hole has been cut, dead center. Now, under the canvas, is a flashlight, and it's turned on for "honored" guests. Well, the guests are, of course, incredulous, at the site of this light glowing from inside the bucket, and having been informed that a "Sea Bat" has been captured topside, they're overcome by curiosity, and a well told tale. The bucket, is usually close to the superstructure, on the main deck to avoid any uncompromsing winds that have been known to belay the best laid plans. These plans have been well thought out, and the info only passed among a select few, old salts.

Here we are, at the moment of discovery, for the uninitiated, to actually see one of nature's not well too known,, or understood, wonders, the Sea Bat, captured in the bucket, and it's only escape prevented by this canvas cover. There is a light, inside the bucket, to aid anyone that cares to see the illusive creature.

What an opportunity! One only needs to come close to the bucket, bend over, and peer into the unknown!!!!!! About that time, a guy about the size of Arnold Schwarzenegger, swings a corn broom, with all of the moxie that he can muster, directly at the tookas of the guy bent over the bucket to grab a view of the Sea Bat. Then, as if by magic, there is nobody to be found, save the viewer of the Sea Bat, who is now spread eagle over this damn bucket, and realizes that there is more to going to sea than he previously thought. Ensigns, are particular participant in these exotic adventures. Surprised)
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. OK. Now would someone hurry up and get me a spool of
pipe thread?
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:
Yeah. OK. Now would someone hurry up and get me a spool of
pipe thread?

As long as you're going for the pipe thread, bring back a squeegee sharpener, will 'ya?
Cali-HeyGirl
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcarter wrote:
I have spoke to a Rear Admiral and a couple of four stripers and they agreed with my assessment that almost all Ensigns are goofy. Kerry tries to make himself out as Master and Commander of the South China Sea but he wasn't. According to his own Fitness Reports on his campaign site he did not qualify for OD until after GRIDLEY left the combat zone.

OOH-YAH! You can add my husband to that group Wink
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mailed Milliken, the reporter for the Henderson Dispatch, as follows, and then received the reply after that:

Quote:
Just read your piece in the Henderson Daily Dispatch and the comments made by Mr. Fleming, as follows:

The two men didn't fraternize, in keeping with military tradition. But Seaman Fleming expressed his surprise to Kerry when he learned that the officer had volunteered for duty on river boats.

"When I found out that he had put in for them, I know that I couldn't help myself" from speaking out, Fleming said.

"I thought that was madness, running up and down a river wanting people to shoot at you."

Fleming remembers asking the officer why he had put in for the hazardous assignment. "I've got to do something," Kerry replied.

I regret having to mention this, but you are a bit short on fact checking, and if Mr. Fleming told you that as reported, you got snookered. Even John Kerry states in Brinkley's 'Tour of Duty' biography that at the time Kerry volunteered for the Swift Boats, they were not engaged in combat on the rivers or anywhere else, but were being used for harbor patrol around Cam Rahn Bay. Further, the plan to even begin to use them for combat up the waterways was not even developed by Gen. Westmoreland and Admiral Zumwalt until months after John Kerry applied for that assignment. The Swift Boats only began to engage in those upriver missions at the vvery time that Kerry arrived in Vietnam.

That is a very easy set of facts to check. I'd suggest either Brinkley's 'Tour of Duty' or Michael Kranish et al's Boston Globe reporter's biography of Kerry.

Denis XXXXXXXX
Reidsville, North Carolina

Reply:

Quote:
Mr. XXXXXXXX,

I think you make a very important point. I've asked my editor
to print your message as a letter to the editor. Thank you very
much for your comment.

MEM

If mine is printed, that can only be because I didn't blister him nearly as badly as some of the rest of you!

Very Happy

Denis
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the full phrase was "Dickfer brains." Maybe I was misinformed.

Last edited by docford on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Senior Petty Officer in the Medical Dept, I always sent my newbies to the ETs or RMs for a box of fallopian tubes. Once, I sent a seaman recruit to the bow for mail buoy watch. On my first day aboard a ship, the BMCM sent me to the SUPPO to ask for the stock number for the key to the sea chest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: