SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Debate Comment By Cheney
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Best Debate Comment By Cheney Reply with quote

Best comment tonight:when Cheney said, "your own home town calls you the "Senator Gone".
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you can't stand up to Howard Dean how are you going to stand up to al quieda?"

paraphrasing.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHENEY: Classic example. He won't count the sacrifice and the contribution of Iraqi allies. It's their country. They're in the fight. They're increasingly the ones out there putting their necks on the line to take back their country from the terrorists and the old regime elements that are still left. They're doing a superb job. And for you to demean their sacrifices strikes me as...

EDWARDS: Oh, I'm not...

CHENEY: ... as beyond...

EDWARDS: I'm not demeaning...

CHENEY: It is indeed. You suggested...

EDWARDS: No, sir, I did not...

CHENEY: ... somehow they shouldn't count, because you want to be able to say that the Americans are taking 90 percent of the sacrifice. You cannot succeed in this effort if you're not willing to recognize the enormous contribution the Iraqis are increasingly making to their own future.

We'll win when they take on responsibility for governance, which they're doing, and when the take on responsibility for their own security, which they increasingly are doing.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paraphrasing:

You used the sub "S" election to avoid paying $600,000 in medicare taxes.
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHENEY: ...first time I ever met you was when you walked on stage tonight.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He mentioned Medicare up 17 percent, somehow that that was something we caused. No. The 17 percent increase in Medicare premiums was the direct result of a statute adopted in 1997. John Kerry voted for it.

It establishes the formula for Part B of Medicare that says, in effect, it has to cover 25 percent of the cost of the program. And the reason the money had to go into the trust fund was to make certain that we could cover those eligible for benefits.

While you were in private practice in law and as a senator, you had the advantage of a special tax loophole, Subchapter S corporation, which you set up so you could avoid paying $600,000 in Medicare taxes that would have gone into the fund.

And it's those kinds of loopholes that necessitate a premium increase under the law that was enacted in 1997, supported by John Kerry.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_nyc wrote:
He mentioned Medicare up 17 percent, somehow that that was something we caused. No. The 17 percent increase in Medicare premiums was the direct result of a statute adopted in 1997. John Kerry voted for it.

It establishes the formula for Part B of Medicare that says, in effect, it has to cover 25 percent of the cost of the program. And the reason the money had to go into the trust fund was to make certain that we could cover those eligible for benefits.

While you were in private practice in law and as a senator, you had the advantage of a special tax loophole, Subchapter S corporation, which you set up so you could avoid paying $600,000 in Medicare taxes that would have gone into the fund.

And it's those kinds of loopholes that necessitate a premium increase under the law that was enacted in 1997, supported by John Kerry.

GAME,SET,MATCH.....that's the whole answer.

Cheney slapped him down, picked him up and then slapped him down again, then walked all over him.

Spin meisters trying to talk tie. The only tying going on was Cheney tying up Edwards and making him look like a dork.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was subtle, but Cheney, while claiming not to be familiar with Edwards' trial record, kept referring to ob-gyn doctors complaints of being driven out of business by high malpractice insurance costs or having to select out the high risk patients for fear of future litigation.

That is precisely what Edwards did: he caused many ob-gyns to go out of business or move to different specialities because of outrageous lawsuits by ambulance chasers like Edwards. Edwards made many doctors do unnecessary Caesarian births because of his claims (now disproven) that asphyxiation during childbirth caused cerebral palsy. This raises costs, puts mothers and babies at additional risk, and does NOTHING to lower the incidence of cerebral palsy.

And Edwards walked away with at least a third of the settlement or verdict.

Does anyone wonder why the Democrats get all the trial lawyer money?
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards little story about waking up and seeing the "glow of the television set" in the livingroom story had to be drivel.

He said his Dad learned math from TV. From where? Sesame Street?

Rush Limbaugh today reported that his "millworker" dad set up his own mill and consultant business. Edwards protrays him like Bob Cratchet (?) of Scrooge fame or worse.

He just came off a smarmy and desperate to recite his talking points. The blinking was maddening.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale said:

"He just came off a smarmy and desperate to recite his talking points. The blinking was maddening."

I heard somewhere that frequent blinking often indicates falsehood. Don't remember where I read this, anyone else heard this before? Pure rumor mill and gossip on my part, but of course I wouldn't be surprised.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, frequent rapid blinking can be a sign someone is lying, but so can an exaggerated widening of the eyes. But for sure rapid blinking signals extreme nervousness. And you gotta wonder: big senator, hot shot lawyer--what are ya so nervous about, buddy?

It got on my nerves, too. blinkblinkblinkwehaveaplanblinkblinkwehaveaplanblinkblink

Maybe he was sending morse code to the registered voters on Kerry's home planet of Uranus? The same Uranus voters that Kerry is aiming his foreign policy for, and the same ones that voted in the online polls that Edwards won the debate?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinking is one thing, what is it with Edwards and frequently licking the left side of his mouth?
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale said"That is precisely what Edwards did: he caused many ob-gyns to go out of business or move to different specialities because of outrageous lawsuits by ambulance chasers like Edwards. Edwards made many doctors do unnecessary Caesarian births because of his claims (now disproven) that asphyxiation during childbirth caused cerebral palsy."

I've heard that in the trial he cupped his hand to his ear and said something like "I can hear the voice of that little baby crying 'let me out, let me out.'"

Funny he can't seem to hear the little voice of the babies being aborted (which he supports) crying the same thing.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this: licklickblinkblinkwehaveaplanlicklickblinkwehaveaplan...

It's like dotdotdashdotdotdot.

Either that or he was trying to get some of that ketchup off.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:
Yeah, frequent rapid blinking can be a sign someone is lying, but so can an exaggerated widening of the eyes. But for sure rapid blinking signals extreme nervousness. And you gotta wonder: big senator, hot shot lawyer--what are ya so nervous about, buddy?

It got on my nerves, too. blinkblinkblinkwehaveaplanblinkblinkwehaveaplanblinkblink

Maybe he was sending morse code to the registered voters on Kerry's home planet of Uranus? The same Uranus voters that Kerry is aiming his foreign policy for, and the same ones that voted in the online polls that Edwards won the debate?

His being a demoncrat, a lot of those voters might "show up" at the polls in november
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: