SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Vets Wasting Money
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Swift Vets Wasting Money Reply with quote

Why are the Swift Vets advertising on Fox News?
While I appreciate the sponsorship of my favorite tv channel, I think it is a waste of money. Fox viewers are overwhelmingly going to vote for Bush and have heard all about the Swift Vets on the shows that they are watching.
The commercials need to be seen by the undecideds and the soft Kerry supporters that can be persuaded not to vote for him.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they know something about the demographics of Fox viewership and advertising rates that you do not?
grammaj
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Dennis Miller (MSNBC) and a Swiftee ad was run during the program.

Don't watch the other channels so I can't vouch for them, but you probably have a valid point about preaching to the choir.
RMalloy
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not just Republicans watch Fox. The ads are so good that everytime they come on, they seem brand new and extremely powerful, especially when shown in Alan Comb's spot or during BOR. :: Cool
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choir needs preaching, too!

How many times has someone said they wish they could see the ads in THEIR state (which is SOLID red!).

Fox is one way to get to EVERYONE in EVERY state.

No voter left behind, and all.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wager that a lot of so called undecided's watch Fox news. I think it was a wise move by the swiftees. In any case, I don't feel I am in any position to second guess them....not with a brain like Oneill at the helm!!

God Bless the swiftvets!

Zell Miller
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just the actual air time that counts but the buzz that the ads create and the chatter about them that follows. Max exposure for the bucks spent is the name of the game.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be blunt, if you don't like the way the Swiftvets run their ads, don't donate. Thanks to your whining, I'm going to send them another $100.00. IMHO, when you donate money to a cause you should leave it up to the people who run the thing to decide how best to spend the money.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
To be blunt, if you don't like the way the Swiftvets run their ads, don't donate. Thanks to your whining, I'm going to send them another $100.00. IMHO, when you donate money to a cause you should leave it up to the people who run the thing to decide how best to spend the money.

Nope. A better policy is; disagree all you want, keep sending money.

Sam
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not a sheep.
I didnt realize that the Swift Vets were beyond questioning.

I just dont think that Fox News viewers are undecided at this point.

These commercials need to be seen by the weak minded undecided people watching MTV or Lifetime or whatever.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the ads run quite a bit during BOR and Sean Hanity show, both shows have a wide viewer audience, not just republicans.
also, Fox and friends enjoys a wide rangeof viewers. I've seen their ads on that am program.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to actually check the demographics, you would see that Fox reaches viewers across the political spectrum, despite what the far left-wingers would want you to believe--

Beyond that, IMO this cause is "owned" by the Swiftees and the rest of us have merely signed-on in support--It is not our place to criticiize how they run it--Recommend that those who disapprove of how the Swiftees pursue their goals decline to donate--C
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Fox has had more viewership than most of the majors in the last debates and the conventions. I believe the viewership for the last debate was 7 million plus. Those are huge numbers. Those 7 million, by word of mouth about the ads, probably translate to over 20 million being told about the ads, perhaps more. In addition, don't for a second believe those 7 million are all Bush supporters or conservatives. Many are swing and undecided. And many Dems and Libs check Fox out routinely. As long as Fox gets those huge numbers, the ads are effective on Fox. They are reaching other audiences. As evidence: just look at the impact the ads have had on the campaign. PR people will tell you: as long as the ad gets on the air, no matter where, that's a good thing.

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slednfool, The Swift Vets are perfectly capable of determining where it is best to run their Ads and on what Network. They are not beyond question, they have been run through the mud by those who wish they were not tellingthe Truth.
However, as was pointed out before, we are pretty much along for the ride. We do not dictate policy to them. We do what we can to support them and to help get the message across that JFnK is "Unfit for Command".
Besides, if they didn't play those Ads on Fox News, I'd never see them. I am not in a "BattleGround State" , I am in JFnKs Backyard!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slednfool wrote:
Sorry I'm not a sheep.
I didnt realize that the Swift Vets were beyond questioning.

I just dont think that Fox News viewers are undecided at this point.

These commercials need to be seen by the weak minded undecided people watching MTV or Lifetime or whatever.

Cipher is right. Preaching to the choir is very, very important. In my opinion it is more important. Why? Because it energizes the electorate and they are the ones who will use it for their water cooler talk. It often isn't how many actually see the ad. It is who is talking about it.

I hope seeing the ad makes Kerry supporters rethink their support and makes Bush supporters mad and vocal. It creates a buzz. The swifties have had very good media consultant advice and it shows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: