SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I hear correctly?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: As long as we are on a "Did he really say that?&quo Reply with quote

8dayweek wrote:
...How about this from Fridays debate question concerning Supreme Court appointments:

Mr. Kerry:

Thank you, Charlie.

A few years ago, when he came to office, the president said, these are his words: What we need are some good conservative judges on the courts. And he said also that his two favorite justices are Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas. So you get a pretty good sense of where he's heading if he were to appoint somebody.

And I want to make sure we have judges who interpret the Constitution of the United States according to the law. '

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Does anybody see a problem with the last line, particularly coming from a lawyer? At least I now understand why John Kerry is in politics rather than practicing law. I always thought the idea was to interpret the law according to the Constitution, not the other way around. I'm beginning to think Kerry is a real dope, not just a fake.

I wondered about that ! I couldn't seem to make sense out of it, but couldn't figure out what was wrong! (I have a problem with my thinking process (really) - I used to deal with detail tax code etc when I was working and now I have trouble with some very simple things!)
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think communism. The constitution should be interpreted according to law so the law can change society. I've never been a really strong constitutionalist, but I see how the concept could be effective at nullifying the constitution if slowly introduced. And, no, I don't think it was a mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: