SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Gaffe on Italy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Kerry Gaffe on Italy? Reply with quote

Gee, at this rate, we're going to have NO allies left - so much for Kerry diplomacy. Laughing

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/04_10_10_corner-archive.asp#042349

KERRY GAFFE ON ITALY? [Michael Ledeen]
All Italy is abuzzing today about a Kerry gaffe aired last night on HBO in Italy. As reported in today's Corriere della Sera in Italy, Defense Minister Antonio Martino criticized John Kerry for an incredible remark that the conditions of the Iraqi Army were so bad that even the Italian Army could kick their a**es.

Martino remarked that Kerry, "instead of saying what he thinks, should think about what he says."

But that would be too much for the great statesman from Massachusetts, wouldn't it?

ROMA - Il ministro della Difesa, Antonio Martino, ha provato «grande amarezza e dispiacere» per le dichiarazioni di John Kerry, secondo il quale «le condizioni dell'esercito iracheno erano talmente patetiche che persino l'esercito italiano avrebbe potuto prenderli a calci nel sedere». Nell'apprendere le affermazioni del senatore, pronunciate in campagna elettorale e di cui ieri Kerry si č scusato in tv, Martino avrebbe detto: «Il senatore Kerry, invece di dire quello che pensa, dovrebbe pensare a quello che dice»

Debbie
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry is an idiot.

Perhaps the world should be reminded about the brave Italian hostage who proclaimed "I'm going to show you how an Italian dies!" and proceeded to wreck the slaughter-terror video of his cowardly captors:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=427742004

God bless our Italian brothers.

SOTG
God and Country
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry thinks the only allies America need are the French and Germans.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of European allies since WWII, the Italians have been the most consistent in siding with the US on various issues. This kind of comment from the man who claims that he can win more foreign support tells us more than we really want to know about him.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ROMA - Il ministro della Difesa, Antonio Martino, ha provato «grande amarezza e dispiacere» per le dichiarazioni di John Kerry, secondo il quale «le condizioni dell'esercito iracheno erano talmente patetiche che persino l'esercito italiano avrebbe potuto prenderli a calci nel sedere». Nell'apprendere le affermazioni del senatore, pronunciate in campagna elettorale e di cui ieri Kerry si č scusato in tv, Martino avrebbe detto: «Il senatore Kerry, invece di dire quello che pensa, dovrebbe pensare a quello che dice»

It actually lost a little of its strength in the translation:

The Minister of Defense, Antonio Martino displayed great bitterness and displeasure for the declarations of John Kerry, according to whom, "The condition of the the Iraqi military was so pathetic that even the Italian military could have given them a kick in the ass." In taking note of the Senator's statements, pronounced in the election campaign and of which yesterday Kerry was excused on television, Martino said, "Senator Kerry, instead of saying that which he thinks, should think of that which he says."

It appears that the Corriere della Sera has taken note of our press excusing Kerry his remarks? Confused

Imagine our poor President having to follow along behind and clean up behind Kerry with our allies.

Silvio Berlusconi and most of the people of Italy have been staunch allies in this war - like Blair and Howard, Berlusconi has put his political neck on the chopping block to stand with us, because there is a vocal anti-war minority in Italy who could make things difficult for him.

What Italy doesn't have is an anti-Italian press. They don't have talking heads on all the major networks telling them every night what a terrible country Italy is and how their military is AFU.

They have the kind of press that we had in WWII - pro-Italian, as ours was pro-American.

I envy them that.

Sad
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.......

sKerry has denigrated the coalition in general by calling them the "bribed"--

He has overlooked the Poles--

He has had his sister work tirelessly to defeat the re-election bid of Prime Minister John Howard, one of our staunchest allies--(Thank Heaven she was unsuccessful)--

Now he outright insults the Italian Army--

I suppose next he'll be suggesting that Tony Blair wears women's undies--

Methinks he's been taking night school at the Te-RAY-za School of Tact--Honestly, how anyone can use the words "Kerry" and "statesman" is the same sentence just completely escapes me--C
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the world should be reminded about the brave Italian hostage who proclaimed "I'm going to show you how an Italian dies!" and proceeded to wreck the slaughter-terror video of his cowardly captors

God bless him.
SandiM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy-Navy-Navy
Our Prime Minister Howard certainaly did put his head on the block over our alliance with America and support for the war in Iraq.

The federal election was held last weekend against the (left) opposition which campaigned on pulling our troops out (and domestic issues, of course).

Pollsters and the MSM had them 'neck-and-neck', 'too close to call', 'nothing in it' right up to polling day.

After all that, Prime Minister Howard increased his majority in the lower house (something like 85 to 53 seats) AND in an unprecedented result since WWII, gained seats in the Senate to the extent that he can now push through legislation he has had hanging in limbo to nearly eight years because the opposition controlled it. NO MORE.

It seems that when people were actually in the booths, pencil in hand, it came down to the question with which the PM had launched his campaign six weeks before 'WHO DO YOU TRUST?'

SandiM
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it is definate that GW. Bush will be elected in a landslide election this year we need to concentrate on the Senate Races and give GW the support he needs to get the job done. We need to rid the Senate of the Obstructionists.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandiM, I guess you know how relieved most of us are to have Mr. Howard not only retaining his seat, but now supported in your legislative branch!

What did the final tally for Howard end up?

Fabrizio Quattrocchi - that's the Italian who figuratively spat in his captors' eye just before they shot him. "Ora vedrete come muore un'italiano!"

Kerry knows nothing of the American military, much less the Italian. And he knows even less of the Italian people. Italy is my adopted "second homeland," and I'm ashamed that Kerry would say such a thing about the Italians.

I'm also embarrassed that Kerry would send his sister to Australia to tell Aussies how to vote. Embarassed Guess you all told her where she could put that, eh? Wink
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

What Italy doesn't have is an anti-Italian press. They don't have talking heads on all the major networks telling them every night what a terrible country Italy is and how their military is AFU.

They have the kind of press that we had in WWII - pro-Italian, as ours was pro-American.

I envy them that.

As usual, EJ, you're right on the mark. What ever happened to the "fair and balanced" American media? It sure doesn't exist anymore. I think that's a very scary omen for the future of this country. The media is supposed to report objectively, and hold the opinion for the op/ed pages. When the "world's best newspaper" (isn't that a misnomer?) the NYT is blatantly supporting a candidate under the guise of news, and the rest of the media are going along and doing the same thing, we're in big trouble. I believe that the Internet, with all it's faults, is becoming the new media; however, it is always difficult to winnow the wheat from the chaff as far as figuring out which source is reliable. I hope I'm wrong about all this, but I'm afraid not. Can you think of other countries where the media couldn't be trusted? Remember Pravda and Isvestia? Somehow, we need to do something about this and get back on track, for our children's and their children's sakes.
SandiM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Navy-navy-navy
Votes (from overseas etc) are still being counted. Even in the last couple of days the PM has extended his lead. Seats that Labor (left) didn't dream of losing in their worst nightmares have gone to the Liberals (as distinct from 'small l liberals' which applies to the Labor - left - party and the Dems). Not to confuse tjhings further, but we also have a Democrat Party. They lost every seat they had!

Apparently some parcels of votes aren't due to arrive until Tuesday of next week so the final result won't be known until late next week. I'll keep you posted.

You know, the PM had to face being called a liar outright over and over. The Opposition played up no WMD, took us to war on a lie etc etc. Look where that got them.

Whatever people say, I think they know deep down that we (the Coalition of the Willing) did the right thing, and when it comes to that secret ballot on Nov 2, they'll do the right thing.

That's what happened here. Hope and pray it happens there too!

Sandi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: