SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could California go for Bush?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Could California go for Bush? Reply with quote

I was on another forum and a lawyer from California was talking about how it looked like California COULD go for Bush. He gave 2 reasons.

THe success of Schwarzenegger

THe terrible showing of Kerry in last nights debate and the gaffe at mentioning Mary Cheney in a transparent attempt to diss gays.

Could this possibly be true? Is there really a chance Bush could take California? Is so, it will knock the Dems back into the stone age.

Man oh man I would LOVE to see it.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If California goes to Bush the electorate would need to move 6-7 point more in his direction nationally and he would have already past 300 electoral votes with other states.

In early September some polls had the margin down to only 3-6 points. Since then polls have moved into either high single digit or double digit leads. So it is unlikely, but still possible.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that there are 100,000's of Viet Nam refugees in California. I wonder how they will vote. Then there are the Cathotics. Also the Italians. The wealthy. Business executives. And, of course, the military and veterans. Let's see who else is mad at Kerry.
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer to the specific question is NO.

Don't waste any money on California. Ohio/Florida/New Mexico are the keys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
If California goes to Bush the electorate would need to move 6-7 point more in his direction nationally and he would have already past 300 electoral votes with other states.

In early September some polls had the margin down to only 3-6 points. Since then polls have moved into either high single digit or double digit leads. So it is unlikely, but still possible.

This would make history! I am tired of the hollywood crowd and all the sick rhetoric that comes out of California period. This would be great! Smile
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlarsen wrote:
I understand that there are 100,000's of Viet Nam refugees in California. I wonder how they will vote. Then there are the Cathotics. Also the Italians. The wealthy. Business executives. And, of course, the military and veterans. Let's see who else is mad at Kerry.

You know I hadn't even thought about the Vietnam refugees. Oh I bet they just LOVE Kerry. Also any Cambodians living there.

If Bush could just get a small portion of the gay vote it would mean alot.

Here's hoping <crosses fingers>
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in CA and the ONLY reason Davis got voted out was because he was a freaking disaster, not because the state likes anything republican. And Arnold is far from a conservative, so don't buy into the nonsense about changing the constitution so he could run, it would be a dissaster.
Redleg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah! Not this election. The change in electing the Governator will not be enough. Unseating the two incum Senators is another story. This needs to be worked on before their re-elections. Since gun-control is getting passe in Cali, they are running put of wiggle room on issues.

Same ole, same ole here in the Empire State. The correctly elected Mayor and Governor, but the Dems machine is too strong and the locals continue to stay with their parylines.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. California is Mecca to liberals.
William
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Californias. The cradle-to-grave government dependants (read as democrats/liberals) live in the city centers - the greater San Francisco bay area and Los Angeles. (There is clealy something wrong with the water in the cities.)

They out number us, but the rest of California is pick-up trucks, chainsaws and guns, govenment-out-of-my-life consevative!

Look at the 2000 election county map.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/vote2000/cbc/map.htm

See my point?
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomorelies wrote:
I don't think so. California is Mecca to liberals.

And, Republicans have ceded the turf. If Republicans hope to win California back, it will take alot of work. To develope a working majority in the state, probably a decade at least. With the Governor, it's a start.

In the unlikely event that California goes for Bush, it would be a start, but hardly a "sea change" event. The grass roots level Republicans are so scattered about. W did spend alot of time campaigning in California in the 2000 election to distract the Gore campaign and force them to expend resources there.
morris
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: COULD CALIFORNIA GO FOR BUSH Reply with quote

I HAVE TALKED TO SEVERAL VIET NAM REFUGEES. THE HATE KERRY.

MORRIS
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in CA and the ONLY reason Davis got voted out was because he was a freaking disaster, not because the state likes anything republican. And Arnold is far from a conservative, so don't buy into the nonsense about changing the constitution so he could run, it would be a dissaster.

Excel, you are so correct. My husband and I are Republican and we voted Arnold in, but not again.

Arnold is a closet liberal, also he is married to a Kennedy, so what do you expect? Arnold is NOT a true Republican. He voted for AB-50, which put 50 caliber rifles on the assault weapons bill, even though he owns a M47 Tank! Since California is first in Anti-gun legislation, it's just a matter of time before other states will do the same.

Plus, he commuted life sentences for something like 48 people in less than 1 year because he believes they can be rehabilitated. Davis only commuted something like 5 or 6 people in all his years as Governor. Plus, Arnold got rid of the 30 year age limit on smogging old cars, now all cars will have to be smogged. This got Jay Leno mad at Arnold cause Jay owns all those older cars and they will all have to be smogged now.

Arnold is a disaster and we are NOT voting for him again. We might as well vote for a democrat next time. We should of voted for McClintock.
gunbunny69
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California will go republican when the "Gay Bay" falls into the ocean and the Taliban invade L.A and the Hollywood freaks!
Arnold is similar to Bush, in that his heart is in the right place. However; when the house and senate are predominantly dems, it's hard to get anything through! They're a bunch of "girly men"!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
The squeaky wheels get the grease, and usually the conservative soccer moms and football dads are too busy working and paying taxes to squeak!!! The welfare recipients, poor immigrants, lo-lifes, and unemployed are summoned by the dems to get out and vote. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Khe Sanh (LZ Ross) 1969
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. What has happened in CA makes me so sad. I grew up in CA. I love California. But I am an ex-pat. First of all, my husband will never leave his beloved Texas, and secondly, even if he would consider moving some place else, he will not live in a state with a tax rate like California's. So I content myself with about three weeks there a year. But back when possums ruled the earth (and I was young) I worked for Reagan's first campaign. REAGAN COUNTRY!! Yeah, baby! Those were the days! <getting nostalgic, might start crying prettily>

California can be won back, but it will be tough going. The Dems have quite the machine going there. A better ploy might be to split the electoral vote so the Conservatives can have a say in electing the President.

Uhm, one of brother lives in CA still, and has a lot of contact with the Vietnamese community. He tells me they hate Kerry's guts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: