SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terry McAuliffe: John Kerry May Need A Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Terry McAuliffe: John Kerry May Need A Draft Reply with quote

On C-SPAN there was a debate between Terry McAuliffe & Marc Racicot (Bush-Cheney Campaign Chairman) at something like the Potomac School Monday. During this time, he was asked how Senator Kerry planned to increase the military with two new divisions and add 40,000 troops without instilling a draft. McAuliffe responded by saying "the way George Bush is going and countries leaving Iraq, John Kerry may need a draft" -- I could hardly believe my ears that he actually admitted this. He never once said how Kerry planned to add more troops in any other way during the duration of his answer. Some kids asked them some difficult questions and it was an entertaining debate, unfortunately, McAuliffe usually just spun the answers and didnt even answer the question asked. Anyways, if anyone has seen this (it will probably be replayed) try to get a quote, I was floored when it happened and didnt get an exact quote. Thanks!

Update: hahha, at the end McAuliffe was asked why John Kerry talks more about Vietnam than his Senate Career...McAuliffe didnt say ONE word about what he has actually done in the Senate. And oh yeah, he talked more about Vietnam than the Senate during his response, even going on about how Kerry served Rassmann's life "WHEN ALL THE OTHER BOATS LEFT". There was McAuliffe's opportunity with the question to paint a good picture on Kerry's Senate record, but instead he took much more time STILL talking about Vietnam!
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repeatedly asked how Kerry was going to increase troops by 40,000. He and his camp have been asked this, not often enough, but finally McAuliff admits this may be how.

This information needs to be passed on to the media.

Kimberly
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimberly wrote:
I have repeatedly asked how Kerry was going to increase troops by 40,000. He and his camp have been asked this, not often enough, but finally McAuliff admits this may be how.

This information needs to be passed on to the media.

Kimberly

I wouldn't bet the farm on this being covered by the media - it would have to be our friendly blogs which would pick this one up and run with it, unfortunately. But, up to now, they have done great work.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just on C-SPAN again, but i missed it Evil or Very Mad
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry says that he'll make the country safer and that he will raise 40,000 troops. Seems to me that when you increase troop strength it is a response to increased danger.
ArmyMedicsMom
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question asked by Mariah:
I think the possibility of a draft is an important issue to our generation. So Chairman McAuliffe, if Senator Kerry wants to add two new active divisions to our military, if this plan is supposed to fulfill the pressing needs for our American Troops in Iraq and around the globe, how can we possibly fill the Ranks without a Draft.

Chairman McAuliffe:
"Well the reason we may have to have a draft in..it's..it's a discussion we need to have cause nine out of ten active troops are committed over in Iraq.

I spent last week traveling thoughout the country with Tony McPeak, a four star General in the Airforce. He ran George Bushes war...the Gulf War one over..uh..when we first went to the Gulf War.

He supported George Bush in 2000. He now supports John Kerry because he says this nation can't afford 4 more years of George Bushes go it alone arrogent foreign policy.

And if we let the President continue on that way, we may have to have a draft. We don't know today but if I'm a younger person today, it's worth something we ought to discuss.

This is what a Democracy is all about. We've got to have a discussion on these issues.

What John Kerry has said, he wants to do, is to bring 40,000 new troops in. Right now as you know, all of our troops are committed to Iraq. We do have a back door draft. People who have joined the National Gaurd are being called up 3 or 4 times longer then they originally signed up for. They're not allowed to come home.

Secretary of Defense, Don Rumsfield, last week in Iraq told the troops when he met with them, you are not coming home.

And we are going to be here for many years.

Well we don't have enough troops today to do the rotation for us to be in Iraq many years.

It would be OK if other allied troops were bringing their troops in and we could reduce our troops levels.

But as I just informed you...Guess what?...Allies are pullng their troops out.

Every time we lose another nation, the target goes on the backs of our young men and women today who are in Iraq.

We need a foreign policy working with our allies. This is how we won the World Wars. We won the Cold War by working with our allies for over 40 years. This is the foreign policy tht we need in this country. Working with our allies, all of us sharing the burdens with one another, thereby bring our troop reductions down.

And I believe with 40,000 more troops and beginning to get our troops out of Iraq, that we will have sufficient military force.
But we won't if George Bush continues to be President of this country."

http://www.alsabaah.com/iframe.php?file=http://www.alsabaah.com/English.html

Last edited by ArmyMedicsMom on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
ArmyMedicsMom
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if the students tough questions are any indication as to how much attention people are paying to what the 2 Presidential candidates are saying, then the country is heading in the right direction. I was impressed, inspired and proud of these students.

And another by the way...Marc Racicot did a great job also with his responses and Marc Rocicot is the Governor of my fine state.

http://www.alsabaah.com/iframe.php?file=http://www.alsabaah.com/English.html
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmyMedicsMom,

Thank you VERY much for posting that. It was exactly what I was looking for! I thought it was very good too, the students asked very relevant questions, more pointed and difficult than the 3 Presidential debates in my opinion!

It appears I was right, McAuliffe mentioned the possibility of a draft, yet mentioned NO other way for Kerry to get his 40,000 additional troops, 2 new divisions, & double special forces. This would lead one to believe the way of accomplishing this goal by Kerry would be via a draft.
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are the Dems going to realize that Terry McAwful has become a huge liability and continually sticks his foot in his mouth?! Any sensible organization would have booted this guy a loooonnnnngggg time ago.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the MSM doesn't report it, alot of people won't find out....
bk_mo
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: draft Reply with quote

Bush should get a clip of the CNN interview and put a commercial out with it. Play their dirt game with them, DNC Chairman saying Kerry may need a draft. Twisted Evil

Mad I find myself gettin meaner by the day over this election.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fr11 wrote:
When are the Dems going to realize that Terry McAwful has become a huge liability and continually sticks his foot in his mouth?! Any sensible organization would have booted this guy a loooonnnnngggg time ago.

When will people get it? This is a skerry tactic and a cruel one. There will be no draft.
MikeM
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is relevant, but we did have more than 2 more active divisions before 1990, didn't we? They didn't need a draft for them, why would they absolutely need one now?

Sounds like spin, but I could be wrong.

I do know that Kerry talking about a Bush draft is most certainly a classless scare tactic.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a poll of young people who most believe Bush will bring back the draft..
in fact I know of people who are trying to get in and have to get on a waiting list....and another joined the Marines and has to wait 6 months to report for basic..Bush's people need to do a better job of getting this out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: