SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dying for the United Nations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Dying for the United Nations Reply with quote

http://www.weeklystandard.com/

Quote:
Dying for the United Nations
Why is John Kerry no Clinton-Lieberman Democrat? Easy. His obeisance to the U.N.
by William Kristol
10/20/2004 11:45:00 AM

WHO WOULD HAVE EXPECTED the Washington Post to inflict real damage on John Kerry's faltering presidential campaign? Yet they have.

Here is the third paragraph from today's front-page article by Helen Dewar and Tom Ricks on Kerry's foreign policy record:

Kerry's belief in working with allies runs so deep that he has maintained that the loss of American life can be better justified if it occurs in the course of a mission with international support. In 1994, discussing the possibility of U.S. troops being killed in Bosnia, he said, "If you mean dying in the course of the United Nations effort, yes, it is worth that. If you mean dying American troops unilaterally going in with some false presumption that we can affect the outcome, the answer is unequivocally no."

When the Bush campaign talks about John Kerry's wanting a "permission slip" from the U.N., many commentators dismiss it as rhetorical excess. But Kerry really does believe that the United Nations is a fundamental, legitimizing body for the use of U.S. force. One hears this deference to the U.N. all the time in European capitals, but it is rare to hear it even among mainstream American liberals. In this respect, as in others, Kerry really is a throwback. He still shares the McGovernite distrust of U.S. force and suspicion of the judgments that are arrived at by the American body politic.

John Kerry is not a Clinton-Lieberman Democrat. His near obsession with gaining the approval of the U.N., and for that matter of

France and Germany, for the conduct of U.S. foreign policy would make him the riskiest commander in chief of any presidential candidate since George McGovern--and surely makes Kerry unsuitable to govern in a post-9/11 world.

William Kristol is editor of The Weekly Standard.

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with this, Rush was discussing the following exchange this morning.
Very revealing about Kerry claiming lately he would never turn over our defense to another power;

Quote:
RUSH: This was April 14th at City College. Kerry's doing a town meeting in there with students, and Daum showed up and just took over the thing and was really, really dumping on Kerry for being not a true liberal. Now, these things are going to sound out of order but they're not. This is the order in which they really happened. Up first is Walter Daum making his speech to Kerry.

DAUM: You have said, "Stay the course." George Bush calls the people there "thugs;" you call them "extremists." But they hated Saddam Hussein, and they now hate us. They wanted Saddam Hussein out. Now they want the United States out. And you say, "Stay the course." What the United States is doing is bombing hospitals, bombing mosques, sniping at civilians, killing hundreds of civilians, wounding thousands of civilians. And you say, "Stay the course." Is that the criminal course that you want to stay? This is an imperialist country that's fighting an imperialist war. You say, "Stay the course of this imperialist war," and you say you are a stark difference from George Bush. People hate George Bush. By the end of your presidency people will hate you for the same thing. You may fool some of the Americans that you are different from George Bush on this war, but you're not fooling most of the world and you're going to fool Iraqis.

KERRY: I have consistently been critical of how we got where we are, but we are where we are, sir. And it would be unwise beyond belief for the United States of America to leave a failed Iraq in its wake. And I want the Americans out, and so do Americans want --

DAUM: No you don't. You say, "Stay the course," senator.

KERRY: Let me just finish. Stay the course of leaving a stable Iraq.

KERRY: If you don't leave a stable Iraq with a legitimacy to whatever entity is going to transform the government, you have the potential for a civil war, you have the potential for Shi'a vs. Sunni vs. Kurd. There are all kinds of potentials. Let me just finish.

DAUM: They are united against the occupation.

KERRY: Yes, but...but...but the point is this, sir. You're not listening to me.

DAUM: Oh, yes, I am.

KERRY: Well, then you haven't...frankly...listened, because in fact the course that I have proposed is to you turn over to the United Nations the full responsibility for the transformation of the government and for the reconstruction.

RUSH: At the time I thought this Daum guy was a bit of a kook and a wacko and he is, but what I didn't understand back in April is why he was so worked up. I thought he was worked up just because he's a commie lib and he's out there upset because he has this, this, this genetic hatred, this predisposition of thinking America is always wrong. What I have now come to understand is he thought Kerry was a brethren! He thought Kerry was his brother. He thought Kerry was exactly wait he is, because he knows what Kerry has said over the years about the U.S. military. He knows what Kerry's votes are and what they have been, and so Walter Daum her Kerry talk about "staying the course" and "straightening out Iraq" and we couldn't leave until we did that, and he heard American imperialism, and this didn't jibe coming from John Kerry, who, of course, has this Vietnam War aftermath that is a public record and a guy like Walter Daum would have celebrated what Kerry said coming out of Vietnam. So Kerry was showing two faces to Walter Daum, and that's why Walter Daum was mad. [Only known Walter Daum impression] "People hate George Bush and they will hate you, just as much," and this of course has been swept under the rug since. Kerry has said so much since then. This is a great illustration, by the way, people say Bush should have been running ads during this time. Who remembers what happened in April? We had a caller who remembered this, given the sound bite of Kerry. Let's go back, and may as well play this again. This is John Kerry. This sound bite from Frank Sesno's show on CNN back in 1994.

KERRY: They are –

SESNO: Are they are worth dying for? That's the question.

KERRY: Well, it depends –

SENSO: Are they worth fighting and dying for?

KERRY: It depends what you mean by that, Frank. If you mean dying in the course of the United Nations effort, yes. It is worth that. If you mean dying American troops unilaterally going in with some false presumption that we can affect the outcome, the answer is unequivocably no.

blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After his loss they should give him Kofi's job,as a representitive of France of course. Then he can just while away his golden years, debating to his little hearts content!
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushKerry.com has the flic of this. Check it out. He is so not going to be President.
http://www.crushkerry.com/
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
CrushKerry.com has the flic of this. Check it out. He is so not going to be President.
http://www.crushkerry.com/

http://media1.streamtoyou.com/rnc/KerryBalkans01.wmv
Here's the link directly to the video. It took me some time to find it on the page and thought I'd save others some time (although there is plenty of good stuff on the page.) Thanks RobD for posting this link. I had read about it in another post last night, but no video to validate it. Boy, I sure would love to see a Zell response to this!

Last edited by Roon on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord have mercy, this Kerry frightens me! Sad
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry is toast.
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video needs to be in an ad NOW!

Debbie
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya think that the NYPD would enjoy puting Denver boots on all the
illegaly parked cars around the UN Building? Then calling the tow
trucks and charging, say, $700 to get your car back? Now THAT
would really torque off the World against us.

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: