SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voting - What we can do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKLady
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Voting - What we can do... Reply with quote

Getting out the vote is important. However, we also need to win in as many states as possible AND win by a majority in order to avoid any possible whining. We also need to continue to have a firm lead in the Senate and House so that the work can continue. There may be 3-4 Supreme Court seats opening over the next four years!

So, what can we do?

1. VOTE - by absentee ballot, by voting early or on election day.

2. Call on your elderly neighbors and friends and ask them if they need assistance to get an absentee ballot, or a ride to the early balloting.

3. Ask your friends with children if they need help in watching the kids while they go to vote.

4. Talk to the first time voters and see if they have any questions about their choices. Don't to forget to tell why they need to vote for other federal offices (senate and house), state elections and local elections. Don't forget about those questions - many states have questions on taxes, marriage, lotteries, education.

5. Take your voter registration card and your picture ID - talk about the need to have proof while voting to the people around you in line. Show the id to the election officials and say that you want to prove that you do have the right to vote in your precinct. Think about it - if you are voting for local issues such as school taxes or your represnetative to the state house or senate, do you really want someone from another part of the city or county voting for something that does not affect them?

6. Don't let anyone talk about how silly the electoral college is. After all, do you want voter fraud in one city or state affect the overall election? The Founding Fathers had a good idea in the electoral college - don't mess with it!

any other ideas?
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin voter here - -
I volunteered today for one day of the 72-hour get-out-the-vote drive, and I'm going to be a poll watcher on Nov. 2nd.
Geezzzz, I'm so excited! I'm scared to death, but I think I will feel better by participating than sitting at home biting my fingernails on Nov. 2nd!

edited to add: the guy heading the volunteer program for the R's said there are over 700 volunteers (so far) in just Dane County (around Madison - heart of liberal-land here)
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!

Last edited by GiveMeFreedom on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go!!
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions ---

I also suggest people take a vacation day or the day off without pay in order to work at getting the vote out --

Justification -- your tax cut was $300 per taxpayer --- do you want to give that $300 back? and then some. You can't afford to not take the day off work. I suggest households with two wage earners consider at least one take the day off and work on the get out the vote.

If you don't want to work for the GOP/President Bush --- make a Swift Vets and POWs for Truth sign or an Unfit for Command sign and go to a stand by your polling place for a few hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: