SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heads up in Pensacola, FL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Heads up in Pensacola, FL Reply with quote

I received this reply when I batch E-Mailed the Sinclair advertisers yesterday.

Quote:
Over 50 years ago my grandparents started Meredith and Sons Lumber company. My Grandfather was a minimum wage construction worker with a 6th grade education. My Grandmother worked in the bag plant at St. Regis Paper mill. With only determination, they started in the late evening and night hours and built a company that has since grown into a multi-million dollar building supply business that has supported hundreds of families throughout our local area.

This was all accomplished in part because we live in the greatest free society the world has ever seen. This is the same free society that allows Sinclair Broadcasting to broadcast what they feel is appropriate. It allows everyone to state their opinion and patronize the establishments of their choice. This same freedom also allows us to advertise in the venues and on the stations we deem most beneficial for the continued growth of our business.

We have been advertising on WEAR 3 for over 30 years and have found it to be a valuable benefit to our advertising campaign. Although we do not always agree with their policies or choices, we make our decisions based on what we feel is in the best interest of our business and employees.

I am saddened that it has come to a point in this country that political parties or individuals feel they have the right to demand that another conform to their way of thinking by way of intimidations or coercion. Without much of a stretch, it could be likened to terrorists threatening the American people because they do not like our governments actions, or policies. It does not work.

I am truly concerned that this bipartisan vitriol and rhetoric from many involved is creating a society of intolerance and contempt, now and in our children’s future. Tolerance for differing opinion and political views unfortunately is quite scarce. I hope and pray for the day we can disagree not only respectfully, sincerely, but with civility.

If you truly feel it will help your cause by boycotting our company and it is worth it, then I am the first to recommend you do what you feel is right. I would also ask that you understand that we will do what we feel is best for our company and its employees, instead of playing a part in some political power play.

Most respectfully,
Dean Meredith
President, Meredith and Sons
8701 N. Palafox
Pensacola FL 32534
850-476-3626
Meredithonline.com

deanm@meredithonline.com

I do believe he called us TERRORISTS. I would urge anyone living in the Pensacola area to Boycott this business.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, with nothing but the wording of that letter, I can't decide which way he's leaning. The letter could equally be a protest against the liberal boycotters of Sinclair, couldn't it?
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is impossible to tell, except he is responding to a Solen Honor supporter.
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
To be honest, with nothing but the wording of that letter, I can't decide which way he's leaning. The letter could equally be a protest against the liberal boycotters of Sinclair, couldn't it?

I agree with you, it almost seems as though this is a form letter sent out to both sides. I kind of think they sound as though they were, and still are, advertizing with Sinclair. Question
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, this note was inspired by the massive "boycott" Sinclair and it's advertisers campaign, but lays criticism upon both houses.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-reading and re-thinking that letter, I agree that it is a form letter designed to be sent out to anyone trying to strong-arm their advertising decisions. In fact, I think it says nothing about SVPTs. The "terrorism" he is referring to is from those who are trying to impose their views, and I think that charge falls squarely on those who are opposing showing "Stolen Honor."

He had to be somewhat diplomatic in his letter; he doesn't want to unnecessarily cause a commercial loss by his decision to continue to run his ads. Other than that, I think he's telling his readers that "We believe in free speech, free press, and the right to advertise where and when we want. BUG OFF!" I think I like the guy, he seems like he'd fit right in here.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think this is a form letter maybe someone ehould E-Mail him and ask him because my E-Mail stated that I was a member of the Swiftvets and POWs for Truth. I am still not convinced.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Meredith Lumber pulled their advertising? (Sorry, I can't keep track of who's in and who's pulled out.)

It does look like a form letter to me - sent out in response to anything that mentions SBG from either side of the fence.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this letter is a generic response to the people attempting to stop their advertising with Channel 3 and is not directed at the supporters.

I'm confident that the Kerry supporters mailing bots produced a ton of e-mail addresses and after a point, they were all lumped in together. I think they just sent everyone the same response which says they will continue to advertise at Channel 3 and they dislike people telling them where to advertise.

Despite the nice PR writeup of the business, it probably doesn't employ more than a dozen people total and the office staff is probably 1 or 2. Thus, given the relative smallness of Pensacola and being one of the few family businesses still around, they don't have experience being targeted by an e-mail campaign. This letter was probably put together by their attorney.

So, bottom line is they are not letting themselves be told where to advertise by the Kerry people.

BTW, Channel 3 was started in 1954 and was independent for decades. I doubt that most people in the area never heard of Sinclair. I know I didn't know they owned that station now until this controversy started.

VS
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read the letter he is telling the left wing wackos that he will do what is best for his company. He aslo states that his advertising on Channel 3 has been benifitual to his Company. So in the Words of Therezzzzzzza he is telling the boycotters to shove it.
Knot4jfnk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it the same as ocsparky101

He's not going to let the boycotters tell him where to advertise. His company was on the Lib's hit list because he was running ads, and he said he's not changing.

I sent a support email to a national list of advertisers and got this that looks like another form letter, but this one DOES seem to take the wrong side. What do you think?

Thank you for your email regarding Sinclair Broadcasting Group. We have
received numerous emails from individuals regarding this issue; some
threatening to boycott our company, and some encouraging us not to buckle
to this threat.

Regis Corporation does not participate in political or religious
activities. Simply put, we cut hair. We employ over 53,000 people, many
of whom are paid on commission, and rely on that income to support their
families. By boycotting us, you are hurting individuals - our employees
and their families.

We have notified Sinclair Broadcasting Group not to air our advertising
during or adjacent to any political programming. That is the right thing
to do. To take any further action would be inappropriate, and not in
keeping with our responsibilities to our employees and our stockholders.

In return, we are asking you to remove our name from your boycott list.

Thank you.

REGIS CORPORATION

Letter sent to Sinclair Broadcast Group

VIA FACSIMILE

October 14, 2004

Mr. David D. Smith
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030

Dear Mr. Smith:

I am writing regarding a matter of deep concern. We have received well
over 1,000 e-mails from consumers threatening to boycott our salons due to
anti-Kerry political programming your stations are planning to run. The
argument is that since we advertise on some of your stations, we are
supporting this programming. To be clear, we do not condone or participate
in political activities. These divisive activities are best left to
individuals.

Therefore, we are demanding that your stations not run any of our
advertisements during or adjacent to this political programming. In the
event this reasonable demand is not adhered to, we will hold your company
completely responsible for any damages we sustain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

REGIS CORPORATION
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Regis letters, I think they showed their true colors in the 2nd letter, the one to Sinclair, as I commented in this thread:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14055
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Cowards Reply with quote

I bet some of you would like to know which companies pulled their ads from Sinclair. Well the Washington Times (which I cannot pull up right now) reported that Nationwide and Burger King (should be Burger Coward) contacted Sinclair and told them to please not put their ads on when SH is showing. What absolutely disgusts me is that those men underwent several YEARS of torture, starvation and humiliation. In the end they did not quit, capitulate or surrender. Yet companies like Nationwide, Burger Coward, and I am sure others put their tail between their legs and ran. Thank you Nationwide, BC, and others for showing us what cowards you are.
Please ad (pun intended) to the list of shame.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that General Mills came down firmly on the side of Freedom of Speech

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Stolen Honor" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: