SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to Understand W's Strategy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolhand
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Trying to Understand W's Strategy Reply with quote

This is an intersting piece from the "Boston Glob" on Bush's campaign stops and strategy. I cant believe tha Bush is taking it lightly, but the fact that he hasnt been in Ohio for three weeks until today's minor appearence is worrisome. Something is going on. I just cant figure out what it is. I think 1) he is resting for a super major blitz reminiscent of Gore's very susccesful sleepless charge in 2000 2) they are very confident in their internal numbers and ground organizations 3) they have an electoral strategy that people are miscalculating. I'm puzzled, but confident. In Rove I trust.

Boston Globe
note: URL converted to hypertext
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't misunderestimate Bush. Wink

He may not be too hot in the debate catagory, but he's an AWESOME campaigner. He connects with people.

They've got a plan. I'm glad they're keeping it quiet. The Dems don't need to know what hit em'.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the writer at the Boston Glub worried Bush might lose? Like Dick Cheney said, "thank you for your concern."

Screw the Boston Glub Club, it is none of their bidness what Bush is doing/not doing. They just have a major case of "It's quiet....too quiet." like in the old Westerns.

On November 1st they will wake up to see us silhouetted on the tops of all the surrounding hills. On November 2nd they will hear our war whoops. On November 3rd we will ride out of their camps with their scalps swinging from our belts.

Last edited by Kimmymac on Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the RNC internal polling shows the Bush campaign ahead in Ohio, which is why Bush has not been in the state as much recently. Bush will be campaigning with Arnold Schwarzenegger next week in Ohio. The RNC is bringing the big guns into Ohio in the last week of the campaign. Bush is within 1 point in blue states like Michigan and New Jersey something that most people would not have expected to happen,so they might not even need Ohio. I would trust Karl Rove on this one, the Bush campaign knows exactly what they are doing.
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Understand W's Strategy Reply with quote

coolhand wrote:
This is an intersting piece from the "Boston Glob" on Bush's campaign stops and strategy. I cant believe tha Bush is taking it lightly, but the fact that he hasnt been in Ohio for three weeks until today's minor appearence is worrisome. Something is going on. I just cant figure out what it is. I think 1) he is resting for a super major blitz reminiscent of Gore's very susccesful sleepless charge in 2000 2) they are very confident in their internal numbers and ground organizations 3) they have an electoral strategy that people are miscalculating. I'm puzzled, but confident. In Rove I trust.

Boston Globe

Bush is forcing Kerry to campaign in states that Al Gore won by Bush campaigning in those states. He is taking the fight to the states Gore won. And if he can win a few of those states then he will win.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'll leave the speculation to the experts. i just know not to ever play poker with him.
coolhand
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:

On November 1st they will wake up to see us silhouetted on the tops of all the surrounding hills. On November 2nd they will hear our war whoops. On November 3rd we will ride out of their camps with their scalps swinging from our belts.

Nice.
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Understand W's Strategy Reply with quote

coolhand wrote:
Boston Globe

I saw a story somewhere this morning that rejects this Boston Globe story - - It read that there had been a NASCAR trip through OHIO that he just went on with something like 9 NASCAR drivers. So he has been there.

Oh, and Arnold is supposedly coming in next week too!
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!

Last edited by GiveMeFreedom on Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Campaign Strategy Reply with quote

If I were running the Bush campaign, I would have lots of campaign stops in both Florida and Ohio, the two biggest states that Bush won in 2000 that are still in jeopardy this time.

http://realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry_sbys.html

According to this website, there are still 9 states considered to be tossups:
FL (27), PA(21), OH(20), MI(17), MN(10), WI(10), IA(7), NM(5), and NH(4).

The latest polls show Bush slightly ahead in FL, and very slightly behind in OH, but taking leads in MN, WI, and IA. One tracking poll (Detroit News) shows Bush even leading Michigan, for the first time in the campaign. NM and NH are still up for grabs, as well. Only PA seems out of reach for Bush right now.

Bush has 227 EV pretty much locked up, and needs 43 more from the 9 states above (worth 122 EV), whereas Kerry has 189 EV locked up, and needs 81 more. The easiest way to get 43 more EV would be FL and either OH or PA, but Bush could win the Presidency even if he lost OH by winning any two of MN, WI, and IA, or if he lost FL by winning all three. Bush could conceivably win the Presidency even if he lost FL AND OH by winning MI, MN, WI, and IA (44 EV total).

I'm not going to second-guess the President, but he might decide to check how polls are reading, then make a last-minute campaign stop in whatever state he deems necessary. Kerry, on the other hand, has much more former Gore territory to defend, and is "on the run".

Unless we live in those states, it's hard to tell what ads are playing in those states, what internal polling (or early voting) is telling the campaigns, and whether Bush might want to make some announcement from the White House. Bush also has an additional "secret weapon" in Laura, who can campaign separately from her husband, whereas Kerry might have trouble "trusting" Teresa not to open mouth and insert foot.

One thing for certain, this is no time to be complacent, or go campaigning in CA or NJ. Let Arnold come from CA to OH and chase out the girlie man!
coolhand
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Strategy Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:

One thing for certain, this is no time to be complacent, or go campaigning in CA or NJ. Let Arnold come from CA to OH and chase out the girlie man!

No time to get complacent is right. Thats why I find it weird he is going to Crawford for the next couple of nights and has negleted Ohio since the debates, while Kerry has been hitting it hard. Hate to quote Donna Brazille, but it is a chess match and not a checker game. I just wish knew their game plan.
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Bush, and this "new tone" strategy he has employed. I want as much as anyone else for him to have "smacked down" the critics that have been maligning him these many years. But by not responding, the critics have become more emboldened by the lack of response from the Bush camp, and the further they go the more looney they get and sound.

I think this is a strategy in itself. But the campaigns also do their own polling, which they do not make public, and if Kerry has to spend time in Florida going after the Jewish vote, that tells us something right there.

It's tough to stay confident, but there is nothing barring severe injury, comatose state, death, not even dismemberment will keep me from voting for Bush.

I'm one of those "broken glass" Republicans.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: And Reply with quote

Just want you to know that if there is anything going on in the paper's they know about it. This includes voter fraud. I believe in fact they are probably filing law suits at this very moment in places, but they are not publicizing it.

I also think that after Florida last year they learned their lesson not to think that a state is going with him. Remember, he thought he had Florida and pulled out. I think this campaign learned the hard way and I just can't see them making the same mistake whether it is Florida or another swing state.

I use to work campaigns and still know a few people that I talk to about different things and is involved in the Bush campaign. Don't speak with them too much lately, but did talk to one about all the voter fraud mess that we are seeing and I was told not to worry about it. I don't want to bother them very much as these last few days are critical and I would rather them concentrate on what it takes to get Bush re-elected rather than my curiosity.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats why I find it weird he is going to Crawford for the next couple of nights and has negleted Ohio since the debates, while Kerry has been hitting it hard.

There's a saying that goes something like "When your opponent is shooting himself in the foot, stay out of range." Kerry has Ohio (and most of the rest of the world) laughing at him from his Wild Goose Chase. Kerry needs to baste in those juices a while before he can be served up proper.

As to the POTUS taking a break, THIS is the time to do it, not later this week. This isn't Bush's first rodeo, I'm sure he's well aware of his capabilities. And he's got a JOB to mind to as well as the campaign. Which is more than you can say for Kerry.

Whether Kerry eats it now or freezes it for later makes no difference. Either way, his goose is cooked.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: And Reply with quote

JannDallas wrote:
Just want you to know that if there is anything going on in the paper's they know about it. This includes voter fraud. I believe in fact they are probably filing law suits at this very moment in places, but they are not publicizing it.

I also think that after Florida last year they learned their lesson not to think that a state is going with him. Remember, he thought he had Florida and pulled out. I think this campaign learned the hard way and I just can't see them making the same mistake whether it is Florida or another swing state.

I use to work campaigns and still know a few people that I talk to about different things and is involved in the Bush campaign. Don't speak with them too much lately, but did talk to one about all the voter fraud mess that we are seeing and I was told not to worry about it. I don't want to bother them very much as these last few days are critical and I would rather them concentrate on what it takes to get Bush re-elected rather than my curiosity.

I totally agre here. Have been trying to decipher the GOP Ohio strategy myself for the last weeks, but all I can say is that I trust Karl ROve 10000000X more than TerryDNC MOOREon when it comes to strategic decicions. This is not to sound complacent, but I believe that the Republican strategists maybe have calculated that by feeding the Dems a good chance to grab Ohio, it will make them pour so many recources into the state. This over-exposure in one state can be a double-edged sword.

At the same time, the GOP is in a riposte stance right now and every time the opponent comes with a wild swing like Kerry's Goose-hunting idiocy or Theresa's ignorant comment about the first lady, they only hurt themselves more. Note how elegant Laura parried the scarecrows slander. That is not done by anyone acting out of desperation.

To say it in military style; I believe the Democrats are approaching Ohio the way Hitlers 6th army approached Stalingrad. By pouring in MORE AND MORE troops, they lose the ability to hold the flanks (Minnesota, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania). When the counterattack comes, all their heavy tanks are in the city, unable to meet the enemy head-on.

Some friends of mine have even been speculating in that Rove might have used Ohio as a setup to release forces and resuorces for other states. A loss of Ohio is fine as long as Minnesota and Wisconsin is taken instead. Not saying this is THAT deliberately thought out, but I am sure they have considered this idea.

At the same side, not that Florida and Colorado seem to be safe from atacks now.

Need some wood?!?!
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are actually worried that Bush won't win Ohio I'd like to recommend this excellent blog. It's called Jay's Horserace Blog and I read it everyday.

http://jaycost.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: