SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Back to Vietnam Reply with quote

Almost two years I went back to Vietnam, to a year out of my life that was such a defining part of my youth, to memories still so vivid. My wife, she let me go alone cause she is such a special person and she asked me to write a journal of my time back in time. To make it short, I had the emotional ride of my life for 10 days, re-visiting my base and seeing Vietnam from the shore looking out to sea and not the sea looking into the the shore as it was back then. I went back to put the past, the ghosts or whatever you call them behind me and to put into perspective what happened 33 years ago. I had the time of my life with the Vietnamese and seeing how their lives had become and I came back feeling how strong they were and that are trying to put their lives together again.. As I flew out of Saigon on the last day, I wrote in my journal "I came back expecting to find some of the past, but all I found was the present and that is what it should be." I thought I had gotten in behind me. Now the prospect of jfk becoming the POTUS and the emotion of his discourse from the 70's has brought back the bad emotions and feelings of that time when the veteran could not talk about being in Vietnam, had to keep it to himself when it was discussed or face ridicule. We cannot let this man make a mockery of his dis-service to rise above the men and women he left behind. After he is defeated in this election, we must go after him in his home state and defeat his attempt at being elected as a Senator.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Boone,

As always, it is a honor. Thank you.

Theresa
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, it is a honor

The Honor should go to those that did not come back, They gave all. We came back and had a life, a family and lived more years after Vietnam than those that died so early and so young. Go to this site http://www.mwweb.com/ndc/SwiftBoats/Swifthome.htm and click on the names in blue, see the face with the name on the Wall and see how young they were, see the faces that jfk called "Baby killers" and think of how their families must think; did my son, brother, father do these things and they cannot tell them or anyone "I DID NOT do those things!"
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I know what you mean. I've contemplated a return visit as well, but just can't bring myself to do it. Some buddies have returned and shared pictures and told how everything we remembered was gone, including a stone chapel mostly destroyed GIs were building at Lane Army Heliport, An Son, Central Highlands. Maybe one day.

As for the emotions, yes, I too thought it was behind me and that little by little, I could educate those close to me about the truth of it all. Kerry comes along and stirs it all up again, to his own grandiosity. This election is personal and I'm with you all 110%.

I couldn't agree with you more about the 58,000 names on the wall, either.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Back to Vietnam Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
I went back to put the past, the ghosts or whatever you call them
behind me and to put into perspective what happened 33 years ago.

Terry is a shipmate and very dear friend of mine {at least until this post!}

I share his heartfelt sentiments about then and now and the importance of
what we in the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth are doing. Truth must prevail.

The following images of Terry then & in 2002, and the ghost of the PCF pier,
are striking examples of the emotion of Terry's words. Look with his vision
as he stands on the ground where he once proudly defended our freedom.

..... ... .....

..... .....

BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the Qui Nhon Markettime Base looking like those photos.
I still think of the hootches by the water's edge, the com center, the club and those half dozen huge fuel storage tanks up on the hill.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo Jack, when where you there and send me your email address and I will send you some photos back channel. Did we cross paths per chance?
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Shirley and I have only met once, at our last reunion but he is a comrade forever. He does have one of the best web sites on Swift boats at http://www.pcf45.com/ and he not only shows what a Swift boat was, how we lived, but also some of the heroic actions of the crews and the sacrifices made by such young men doing their job and paying the Final Measure. These are some of the men and womem that Kerry dishonored in the years after he left Vietnam and yet he so proudly states that he is proud of what he did then in 71 with his testimony. This group has risen above all expectations in their achievements and it will go down as the most important aspect of this election and maybe all elections to date, you should all be so proud of your actions and contributions and I, we or no one can Thank You enough for your sacrifice but I hope you know you are so greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: