SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colonel (Ret.) David Hackworth and SFTT.org
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrwhite85
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just e-mailed this to the party in question. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Dear Col Hackworth,

With all due respect to your illustrious service to the country, your abject failure to call John Kerry what he is -- a traitor -- is a disgrace.

You think Iraq is a mistake. I have my doubts too. One thing is clear: it has yet to be proved, and is probably unprovable that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction. Moreover, John Kerry never demonstrated that he wouldn't have done the same damned thing, except where he would rather deploy US troops only under UN auspices. Considering the Oil for Food bribe scandal, and Kerry's insistence on gaining French support, it looks to me as if Kerry was as lost as anyone on Iraq, and maybe much more so.

"Two divisions: one combat and one support;" and "doubling Special Forces" do not add up to 40,000 people to clean up this "mess." What is a "Support Division" anyway? What is more, using the demagogue scare tactics Kerry uses regarding the draft, is damaging to US national power. Children in High School are scared for no reason. Kerry's weakening our nation, and he hasn't even been elected yet!

Bottom line, had we placed direct and unrelenting pressure on north Vietnam until they quit, we'd have saved lives, and our national prestige/suasion/power. Heck, had we threatened China directly as MacArthur suggested, bombing their industrial bases, releasing Chiang Kai Shek, etc. we would possibly never have had to face Communists in Vietnam. But we didn't do it. We flinched. We blinked. Failing any of that, by allowing slanderers like John Kerry to permanently discredit the American fighting man around the world, one who has been categorically better behaved that the fighting man from any other great power, is definitely wrong. It may not be technically treason, but it's not patriotism either.

Benedict Arnold was a great general - but untrustworthy. Kerry is worse. Kerry has done more work for the communists than any member of the American Communist Party, if not purposely, then at least functionally.

I appreciate your having resigned in protest over Vietnam, I've always admired that. If I were convinced that Iraq were somehow a waste, or that we had no intention of sticking it out, or of ultimately ensuring the survival of liberty there, I might do the same. Vietnam was improperly handled at the NCA and JCS level. Agreed. But none of that is any excuse to do what John Kerry, Jane Fonda, and Tom Hayden, et al did, full stop. And what senior democrats like Fulbright and McGovern did in their desire to unseat Richard Nixon, reference the hearings featuring Kerry and his crew was absolutely unacceptable.
My father commanded a Battalion in the First Cavalry in Vietnam, and admired you tremendously for your heroism. He bought me your book. I read it while a junior officer in the eighties. Dad was also a maverick, combat commissioned at 21 from a SFC in Korea, 1950. I wish he were alive to write you this note.

My father used to say that he would accept the apology of the liars from the VVAW, and people like Tom Hayden and Jane Fonda when they followed it by their own public suicide. I feel generally the same.

I believe that if John Kerry succeeds in his bid for the White House, we will have a real crisis on our hands. Iraq will become exactly what Vietnam was - and more than anything, for America, it was a strategic loss - a defeat. If you can't see that, and can't see that Kerry is unfit, with his Vietnam lies, and if you won't weigh in on this, then may I suggest as a serving officer, that I would take it as a personal favor, and a contribution to readiness if you would just sit on a porch somewhere and sip something warm until you drop off the scene altogether, before you disgrace yourself and hurt us any further.

Jeff White
Major, US Army

Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJ White,

Great letter. I am looking foward to seeing COL Hackworth's reply.......if there is one.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Clockwise
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Edited by Moderator)

Moderator note:

Please refrain from encouraging forum rivalries or reproducing content under discussion in other forums. It's non-productive and distracts from our focus here.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Sergeant - 19K - M1A1 Tank Commander - C Co, 2-112th AR, 56th BCT, 36th ID, TXARNG, 2003-Present.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: