SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guardian Buckles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Guardian Buckles Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvradio/story/0,14676,1335307,00.html

Probably the email bombardment from us did it

Quote:
The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer.

"Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind."

RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UK Guardian's calling all assassins story unleashes Secret Service

by Judi McLeod, Canadafreepress.com

October 25, 2004

Washington D.C.'s Secret Service is investigating Charlie Brooker of the UK Guardian. The entertainment writer's weekend, anti-Bush tantrum, ending with the words, "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr.--where are you now that we need you," was picked up by the Drudge Report,--using Brooker's provocative last words as the main headline.

Citing federal statute 18 USC 879, Florida attorney John B. Thompson, called in the Secret Service Protective Intelligence Unit. "Please do whatever is necessary to punish the UK Guardian and to educate Matt Drudge on the meaning and scope of statute 18," Thompson wrote in a letter faxed to the SS on Saturday.

Thompson's letter indicates that not only was his complaint being taken seriously by the SS, but that it had already been tipped off about the Guardian story before receipt of his letter.

"I am relieved to find out that you were alerted to this danger last evening and are working on it."

Following a telephone call to the Unit, Thompson registered surprise that the Secret Service seemed unaware of the magnitude of the Drudge Report. "(But) in calling you today, I find that you did not know that one of the most visited sites on the Internet, with more than 10 million hits every 24 hours, is highlighting this call for the assassination of President Bush by placement of it as a headline, as follows: "UK Guardian: "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr.--where are you now that we need you?"

"This is to be found this morning at www.drudgereport.com. The owner of the Drudge Report is Matt Drudge, who lives on South Beach (Miami Beach), Florida. I would encourage the Secret Services Miami office to pay Mr. Drudge a visit to tell him he needs to comply with the law and take down that screaming red headline."

Thompson's concern is that the combined circulations of the Guardian and Drudge Report manifest a siren call to whackos among the millions of readers reached by the publications.

"As I noted in our call, my friend, who is an Assistant United States Attorney, successfully prosecuted some numbskull who was talking about killing Dan Quayle in a bar. It would seem that an American journalist who puts a threat of the above kind on his website seen by millions is being at least as reckless as the aforementioned drunk," Thompson said in his letter.

In his anti-Bush tirade, Brooker wrote: "On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod's law dictates he'll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us" before ending with his call for a would-be Booth, Oswald and Hinckley Jr.

The television entertainment writer seems to have his knickers in a twist about the "Bush-wears-a-wire-to-televised-debates theory.

"The internet's abuzz with speculation that Bush has been wearing a wire, receiving help from some off-stage lackey. Screen grabs appearing to show a mysterious bulge in the center of his back are being traded like Top Trumps. Prior to seeing this debate footage, I regarded this with healthy skepticism: the whole "wire" scandal was just wishful thinking on behalf of some amateur Michael Moores, I figured.

"Quite frankly, the man's either wired or mad. If it's the former, he should be flung out of office: tarred, feathered and kicked in the nuts. And if it's the latter, his behaviour goes beyond strange, and heads towards terrifying."

Brooker criticizes the American media for purportedly ignoring the wire theory. "...And then I start hunting around the internet, looking to see what the US media made of the whole "wire" debate. And they just let it die. They mentioned it in passing, called it a whacko conspiracy theory and moved on."

The American website, www.rense.com, which leans heavily on UFO and alien abduction stories, made the most of the wire theory.

Answering media inquiries about his "mysterious bulge", President Bush identified it as "my spine."

Meanwhile, at press time, Brooker's calling all assassins story was still being carried by the Guardian and Drudge Report.

P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"This is to be found this morning at www.drudgereport.com. The owner of the Drudge Report is Matt Drudge, who lives on South Beach (Miami Beach), Florida. I would encourage the Secret Services Miami office to pay Mr. Drudge a visit to tell him he needs to comply with the law and take down that screaming red headline."

Maybe some disgruntled writers from other countries should keep their noses out of our politics.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I imagining it that this attorney seems more concerned with Drudge than the Guardian or perhaps the author of this article does?
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it illegal to reprint a threat against the POTUS?

Watching Michael Moores every Move
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He deplores violence of any kind

Isn't it "ironic" that the looney left so often makes this claim, right after they print something insinuating just that?
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: I Hope You All Don't Mind...But....I Sent The IQ Article to Reply with quote

I hope it is ok. I could not resist. I had read so much garbage
from and about The Guardian I just wanted to see what they
had to say about the IQ article.

I sent the full article w/link to them today. I am going to monitor
the feedback articles to see if they are courageous enough to
print anything about it.

I took a brief word or two to lay down the gauntlet in a very
nice way with a thank you.

Sorry.
Make it a brighter day.
Mary Ann Parker
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Guardian Buckles Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvradio/story/0,14676,1335307,00.html

Probably the email bombardment from us did it

Quote:
The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer.

"Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind."

HHHHmmmmmmmmm, methinks I similar situations in the past where someone "jokingly" called for the harm of another individual, and when some crackpot acted on that call, not only the perp but the original "joking" instigator where held criminally liable."
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that crackpot is more concerned about Matt Drudge than the original author(?) Sounds like he has been partaking of the Koolaid.
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think though that heads will still roll over this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: