SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selective Service Lottery Letter?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Selective Service Lottery Letter? Reply with quote

I just had a rather hysterical AIM conversation with a young man who lives near Berkley saying his friends are getting lottery letters.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

Could he be talking about something that actually came from some gov. office or is someone trying to freak out all the 20 year olds?

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet my last buck that he's gotten something cooked up by the Rock the Vote crowd! It's fraud, and it's voter intimidation.
ProudbrotherofUSSoldier
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard this before it is a false story and if he and his friends are getting lottery letters they are fake just more scare tatics thanks to the Democratic Party

Ann Coulter
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could he be talking about something that actually came from some gov. office or is someone trying to freak out all the 20 year olds?

I'd say it was the second option. Probably the "non-partisan" Rock The Vote. Wouldnt that be a crime?
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversation, names were changed to protect the not so innocent and I had to do a little creative editing to clean up the language.

Quote:
thePARKgander: Hey, GUESS WHAT YOUR GREAT PREZ did... I've seen the letter, what letter you ask? Two friends of mine (both brought the letter as proof) recieved the letter saying that their birthdate had been entered into the lottery, what lottery you ask? The DRAFT lottery... Something to think about.. your president is going to murder another entire generation..
Deborah Mack: there is no draft
thePARKgander: ...
thePARKgander: They just send letters saying that the lottery is bein pooled up for nothing
Deborah Mack: i'd guess that the letter is not real
thePARKgander: two seperate pucking people
thePARKgander: in two seperate classes
Deborah Mack: you dont think 2 people can get not real letters?
thePARKgander: Oh youve got to be pucking kidding me deb
Deborah Mack: sounds like there is an attempt to scare your age group
thePARKgander: ive seen the pucking letter
thePARKgander: You have not
Deborah Mack: and you know where it came from and what lottery its talking about?
thePARKgander: It pucking says what ltotery it was talking about
thePARKgander: it was from the selective services
Deborah Mack: did you know a president can not institute a draft, the congress has to do it
thePARKgander: I dont give a puck who did it
thePARKgander: bush is president
thePARKgander: it happened
Deborah Mack: it didnt
thePARKgander: You said kerry would start the pucking draft
thePARKgander: You were wrong
thePARKgander: That was my point.
thePARKgander: My point has been made
Deborah Mack: your hysterical
Deborah Mack: and there is no draft
thePARKgander: I'll send an LOL at you when bush gets his pucking pass beat in the election
thePARKgander: until then go get fearmongered some more
Deborah Mack: you cant be that gullible
thePARKgander: Apparently you can and Are though.
Deborah Mack: your not even being logical
Deborah Mack: congress voted on a draft messure that 2 democrats proposed about 10 days ago
Deborah Mack: it was voted down
Deborah Mack: only 2 people voted for it
Deborah Mack: both dems
thePARKgander: How are you being logical, youre claiming something that youve never seen, against something that I have seen, twice, wheres the logic in that.
Deborah Mack: when do you think this secret draft measure was passed?
thePARKgander: and how the puck should i get a lecture on logic from someone who listens to Ann Coulter
Deborah Mack: i'm saying someone is sending ppl in your area something to make you think there is a draft
thePARKgander: You realize that A) if it was sent through the mail that its a federal crime to use any insignia
Deborah Mack: i havn't seen it so i couldnt say who it is but i could guess since there is only one person claiming bush would draft
thePARKgander: nevermind puck this
Deborah Mack: why does logic diss you off?
thePARKgander: You can think whatever the puck you want I dont have to prove it to you or anyone, I just thought id let you know
thePARKgander: Ignorant pucks diss me off
thePARKgander: do the math
Deborah Mack: your telling me some time in the last 10 days congress got together and passed a secret draft measure and got it implemented in record time wihtout the press finding out about it and I AM IGNORANT?
thePARKgander: Oh i just read some ann coulter, its real obvious now
thePARKgander: http://mediamatters.org/items/200409240001
thePARKgander: http://mediamatters.org/archives/search.html?topic=Ann%20Coulter
Deborah Mack: H.R. 163, which was introduced by Charles Rangel (D-NY) and which would reinstate the military draft, is unexpectedly coming for a vote on the House floor today. 10-06-2004
Deborah Mack: http://www.nisbco.org/UAA/10062004.htm
Deborah Mack: H.R. 163: Overwhelming Defeat
October 6, 2004
H.R. 163, which was introduced by Charles Rangel (D-NY) and which would have reinstated the military draft, was voted on in the House of Representatives yesterday. The bill was overwhelmingly defeated with a vote of 402 to 2.
thePARKgander: Hey, the lotterys being filled up
thePARKgander: They must just want to have a big pool just in case, right...
Deborah Mack: if your talking about registering for ss that has been around since way long before bush came into power
thePARKgander: nope
thePARKgander: im talking about thelottery
thePARKgander: being filled up
thePARKgander: saying
thePARKgander: YOUR BIRTHDATE HAS BEEN ENTERED INTO THE LOTTERY FOR THE SELECTIVE SERVICES
Deborah Mack: and this is different wording than has been used for the last 20 years give or take a year?

Auto response from thePARKgander: I KNO U LIKE 2 THINK UR **** DONT STANK %N BUT LEAN A LIL BIT CLOSER CUZ THOSE ROSES REALLY SMELL LIKE BOO-BOO

thePARKgander: YES ITS DIFFERENT WORDING, IVE GOTTEN THE SIGN UP FOR THE DRAFT LETTER, TOTALLY DIFFERENT LETTER, IM TIRED OF SPEAKING TO YOU SO IM FAKING THAT IM AFK

- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would get a lottery letter. I would actually love to go, if I can take my sleep number bed and a few other small personal effects. Bath salts, foot scrubbies, and the lilac infused eye mask. Maybe just one or two other things. No more than would fill half a C-130.

There is no lottery letter. Tell him to stop dropping LSD, he is having flashbacks from before he was born. Confused God, they just wish they could have a reason to burn something. His bra, her draft card...

Deb, stay away from those internet crazies.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about half-way serious here... You've heard of the "litmus test" for judicial appointments, right? Well, I think there should be a "draft test" for voters. Anyone who believes that the draft is an issue is telling us about their maturity, their sense of duty, and where they get their news from.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known this kid for quiet a while. I'm some what of a den mother to a group of guys I used to play a game online with. This one and another one have been upset with me lately because I don't think Bush = the devil.

He is a tad nuts and very obnoxious at times but thats besides the point. What concerns me is that apparently someone is sending out mail that looks real enough to fool a bunch of college kids. That seems illegal and should be investigated.

- Winston Churchill
Woodrow
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human "mushrooms", and they can procreate.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmackto, here is a copy of the email that is being sent out to scare College age students;

Quote:
Mandatory draft for boys and girls (ages18-26) starting June 15, 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate, S89 and HR 163,to reinstate mandatory draft for boys and girls (ages18-26) starting June 15, 2005. This plan includes women in the draft, eliminates higher education as a shelter, and makes it difficult to cross into Canada.

The Bush administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections. The Bush administration plans to begin mandatory draft in the spring of 2005, just after the 2004 presidential election.
· The Congress has added $28 million to the 2004 selective service system budget to prepare for this military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005.
· Bush has ordered the Selective Service to report to him by March 31, 2005 on their readiness to implement the draft by June 2005
· The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.
Please act on this:
· Tell everyone you know - parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents, friends, teachers
· Call and write to your U.S. Senator and your U.S. Representatives and ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills

Like other Urban Legends, it has taken on a life of it's on and sadly, our young people aren't taking the time to dig into it a bit. If they had, they would also find the following;

Quote:
Resumption Of Draft Gets Little Support
Miami Herald July 2, 2004
Ignore all those Internet rumors. Despite the U.S. military's desperate need for more troops, there is no chance that the Bush administration or Congress will resurrect the draft, short of a new Pearl Harbor.

It's just too unpopular politically. Moreover, military experts say that conscription would hurt the quality and morale of the armed forces.

Instead, the Pentagon is examining other options, such as calling up more members of the National Guard and reserves, extending tours of active duty, shifting manpower within divisions, and moving troops from Europe and Asia to meet the urgent needs in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, the Army announced Wednesday that it would call up 5,600 former active-duty personnel for another round of service.

"A draft? It's just not going to happen," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, the senior Democrat on the Senate Armed Services personnel subcommittee, agreed: "There is very little support in Congress for reinstating the draft."

MISLEADING E-MAIL

Perhaps those comments will help steady the nerves of many Americans apparently rattled by an e-mail that is circulating nationwide. It says that legislation is pending in Congress that would reinstitute the draft for the first time since 1973, starting as early as next spring. It also says that the administration is "quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections."

There is a kernel of truth to the allegation -- there is a bill pending that would restart the draft. But the Bush administration opposes it, as do Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry and the leadership of both the Democratic and Republican parties in Congress. Everyone remotely in a position to know is quite sure that the bill is going nowhere.

"I don't know anyone in the executive branch of the government who believes that it would be appropriate or necessary to reinstitute the draft," Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in April.

The bill's primary sponsor is Rep. Charles Rangel, a liberal Democrat from New York who represents Harlem. Even he admitted that his bill won't pass. He said he introduced it to get people to discuss who is doing the fighting in Iraq.

"The burdens of war should be fairly shared across all segments of our society and not fall disproportionately on poor communities as they do now," Rangel said in a written statement Wednesday.

The Selective Service System even posted a message to debunk the new-draft myth on its website, www.sss.gov.

MANPOWER STRETCHED

Fueling fear of a draft is a concern that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have strained military manpower dangerously. The House of Representatives and the Senate have voted this year to increase the number of active-duty personnel.

But the Bush administration opposes a permanent increase, contending that the current spike in active-duty personnel is temporary. Instead, the Pentagon is looking to ease manpower shortages by outsourcing noncombat operations to private contractors, extending tours, and integrating National Guard units and reserves into active-duty forces. Already, the National Guard and reserves make up about 40 percent of U.S. forces in Iraq.

In addition, the Army announced this week that it will call up 5,600 people who recently left the military but still have obligations as reservists. Army officials admitted that these are involuntary recruits, but they said the reservists were aware of the obligation when they signed up.

That is a long way from reviving the draft.

"It ain't going to happen," said Lawrence Korb, a former assistant secretary of defense in the Reagan administration who is now with the Center for American Progress, a liberal Washington think tank.

"It's an urban legend, and urban legends die hard," said Rep. Ed Schrock, R-Va., a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_draft_070204,00.html

From the Selective Service System themselves;

Quote:
On October 5, 2004, the House of Representatives voted 402 - 2 to defeat H.R. 163, the bill cited as proof that the Selective Service was preparing to reinstate a military draft. The vote made official what has been a reality since January 7, 2003, when H.R. 163 was introduced despite nearly total opposition in Congress to restoring the draft. Without Congressional support, the draft cannot be reinstated. A similar bill languishes in the Senate.

Both President George W. Bush and Senator John F. Kerry have stated for the record that they oppose a draft. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also has opposed the draft on numerous occasions.

http://www.sss.gov/
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ankler? Why sugah, where ever would the Democrat party be without the Ignorant Teenage Vote?

Why, it would have to rely on the Whining Hypochondriac Vote.
Or the Something for Nothing GimmeGimme Vote.
Or the Perpetually Pi$$ed At Everything Vote.
Or the Habitually Misinformed Vote.
Or the No Man Since 1971 Angry Fat Broad Menopausal Mean Vote.
Or the Just Plain Scared of Stuff Vote.

In other words, they would have to rely solely on their base.
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmack: ask him to fax you the letter.
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to tell a young lady tonight that females are not even in the selective service plan. She didn't know, she thought she was going to be drafted.

What cheeses me off the most about this, even though I would never support a draft, is the reluctance in many of these slackers to serve...

The kids we are training today, the bright, motivated, energized kids, the one carrying all the water of their slacker peers,

THESE KIDS ARE THE REASON WE NEVER WANT A DRAFT AGAIN!

They are not cannon fodder, they are smart, technoligically inclined, computer saavy, patriotic and if any thing a little soft at times, but they kick-ass as has been seen time and time again.

The last thing we want is some @#$%nut like this guy you were IM'ing to even get near a recruit depot.

How many hours of a sergeant's time would we be willing to waste on that waste of flesh?

reconflyer
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have a difficult time reading this, it has some three syllable words in it, but you might want to tell him to go to http://www.sss.gov/ and read for himself. Although I didn't see Puck, Pucking or Pucker anywhere in there, so it may not make sense to him.

I think it would have been wise for the Bush-Cheney campaign to take out full page ads in college newspapers telling the truth about the draft (that is if the faculty advisors would allow ads from Bush-Cheney.)

I do agree, should be a type of IQ test for voting. I turned 18 about the same time the vote was given to 18 year olds. I chose not to vote because I felt that I'd only be voting for who Mom & Dad thought was best, not doing research myself. Now my daughter who is almost 21 will be voting for the first time, by absentee ballot. I looked at the ballot and said, she's not capable of doing this correctly and maybe I should do it for her. If she isn't capable of doing it correctly, should she be voting? But I had faith in her and sent it to her, along with a photo filled out by me showing her how to mark her own ballot.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you guys are great...

I sent an email to sss.gov and to the governator so if there is an actual letter that looks like its coming from a legit source out there perhaps they will track it down.

I would not put it past moveon.org or rock the vote or whoever to try and make a return address look like a government agency.

- Winston Churchill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: