SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Post: The email I sent to CBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubbaknicks
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: First Post: The email I sent to CBS Reply with quote

I've been a lurker on this site for awhile, but decided to post. It's bad enough that the NY Times is trying to spin the "missing explosive" story to make it seem like the US had not properly secured them. But, when I learned that CBS was going to go with the same story on the eve of the election, I flipped out! This is what I sent them:

First, I want you to know that I have never written a letter to any news organization before. I'm not even sure if anyone will actually read this note, but I feel that I need to try.

I've been an avid viewer of 60 Minutes most of my adult life. It was a vehicle that CBS used to "right the wrong" and place good information in the hands of folks like me. I always looked forward to your show, as it had the best investigative reporting around.

Then came Memogate. I was dismayed at the forged memos that you used as a basis for your story on Bush's National Guard service. It was obvious to everyone I know that you first determined your conclusion, and then you set about gathering evidence to prove your position. As a result, you were predisposed to overlook the glaring inconsistencies in the Guard documents. Had you simply done competent investigative work, you would have fond the documents to be forgeries, much like the hundreds of experts around the country who were able to spot the inconsistencies in a matter of minutes. Bottom line: you were not reporting the news, you were creating it.

To make matters worse, your "internal investigation" will not release their results until after the election so as not to influence it. What!?!?! Isn't that what you attempted to do with the original story? Don't you have a responsibility to quickly correct any injustice you created?

Today was the last straw. It's being reported that your program was set to broadcast the story of the "missing" explosives in Iraq the eve of the election. (what happened to not wanting to influence the election?) Apparently, you and the NY Times are accusing President Bush of not properly securing these explosives. Of course, let's not allow the facts to ruin a perfectly good story. It was verified today (confirmed by the imbedded NBC reporter) that the explosives were already gone before any American troops entered the area.

I realize that every network has certain political leanings that may influence their reporting to a degree. This is something I can accept, so long as the network makes a concerted attempt at being fair. However, your network has gone over the edge of reasonableness, and is now producing propaganda, not news.

Until there is a significant change in the on-air and off-air leadership at CBS, I will not watch another show produced by your network. I will also ensure that my friends, neighbors, and family are fully aware of your slip-shod and unethical practices.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job and welcome aboard!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one outstanding letter!!!

Welcome aboard. Smile
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bubbaknicks for your well thought out letter and the work to send it. I hate to say it but CBS has been misrepresenting and exaggerating on 60 minutes for a long long time, long before the forged National Guard documents. Rather and company are also in on the false and misrepresented missing explosive story right now. And how about Night Line going to Vietnam to find witnesses to Kerry's heroism. That news story stretches the imagination as to how stupid do they think people are. Besides these cases, how many other false stories have been perpetrated on trusting citizens?
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone named Bubba, thats a great letter!
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, how about a news story on the needed investigation into who forged the National Guard documents? I understand forging federal documents is a serious crime. I would like to know who did it and what is being done. Where is the news reporting on the investigation or lack of an investigation and why?
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great letter - Welcome aboard this fine forum
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. We ARE the voice of the people and your voice is welcome and appreciated.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bubba. My mom feels just like you. She is 82 and has watched 60 mins faithfully for YEARS, but after the memogate fiasco she says she will never watch again. She's sorta naive about things and I had to walk her through how CBS had basically lied about the documents and how they were stonewalling etc. Once she saw the big picture, she was outraged too.

Since she's so old she said a very nostalgic thing...."why aren't they out of business? They lied. They can't give news anymore now can they?"

God, if it were only true.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great letter. The passion really comes through and I can tell you are mad as hell. Me too.

Welcome aboard.
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put. Great letter. Let us know it they reply.

Stolen Honor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: