SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Hero - GWB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: My Hero - GWB Reply with quote

(Hope this doesn't post twice--tried unsuccessfully getting it in)

About an hour and a half ago I returned from the thrill of a lifetime. A President George W. Bush rally at the Silverdome in Pontiac MI. We had a real lady, Laura Bush, Zell Miller, Congresswoman Candice Miller, Congressman Joe Knollenberg, Maryland Lt. Governor (Fields?), Oakland County Executive Brooks Patterson, Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca, and that all around good guy, boxing promoter Don (I love my hair) King. There were probably others of note, but don't remember them all. Just heard a blurb on one of the local TV stations and they estimated the crowd at 30,000.

When he came on stage, the crowd went wild! I always felt there had to be 'cheerleaders' to get the people chanting, but there weren't, they did it on their own.

Pres. Bush asked for our help to get him reelected. I like to think I've done a little in that direction: I've convinced a person who was leaning toward Skerry to come over to our side and applied for applications for absentee ballots for 3 individuals who weren't sure if they'd be out of town on business election day. They are all GWB voters. Now I'll do what will be my last duty for this campaign: serve as Precinct Chairman next Tuesday.

I still feel as though I'm floating in air--probably won't get too much sleep tonight! Smile Smile Smile Smile
jerake
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous! If I could have, I would have taken off and gone to one of the rallies in Wisconsin (working 12 hour days doesn't leave much time though). Sounds like it was a great and uplifiting time!

When I hear stories like this, I wish that I didn't live in such a blue state (IL); GWB never comes here. Sad
concernedgranny
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going Fri in Columbus to see "W" and "Ahnold". I'm excited. How early shall we leave? doors open at 3. I was thinking be there at 12 to or 11:30 to start lining up?
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bystander: you are no longer a bystander but a vet! 4 votes for W is awesome. GOOD JOB!

His rallies are like rock concerts without the dope, and the dopes, yes? They are unbelievable. Positive energy. Super charged, right?

Kerry's rallies feel like a bad party where you keep trying to have a good time but just can't, and you can feel the negative energy. It feels forced.

Yeah, I have been to a Kerry rally. No sacrifice too large.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerake, MI is a blue state, too. But after all the visits GWB has made to our state, I'm sure our local bird cage liner, The Detroit Free Press turned purple when they had to print a couple of days ago that GWB has pulled within a point of Skerry! Hang in there, we are!

concernedgranny, the doors opened at 3:00 here also. But that meant 3:00 before you could even get into the parking lot, not the stadium. I was in about a 2-mile backup on the X-way waiting for the parking gates to open.

Kimmymac, I know what you mean by 'no sacrifice too large.' In 1996 when WJC was running for reelection, I stood for 4 hours in the hot sun waiting for his train to come into the Royal Oak MI station. I did it out of respect for the office, not the man--and later I had no respect for the office either. Until now. Smile Smile
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with ya, jerake--I, too, am in Illinois and no presidential candidates ever come here--No reason to--And I sure wouldn't want W to waste any precious time here when so much is at stake--

But I am jealous!!--He's such a fine, decent man and the first president of my generation whom I can truly admire and respect--I'm hoping that if he makes one more trip to Wisconsin, I'll be able to truck on up there, just to join in the adulation--I can only imagine how exhilerating it must be--

Thanks for sharing, Bystander!!--C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: