SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats and Freedom of Speech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Democrats and Freedom of Speech Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Senator Tom Harkin(D) attached an amendment to a defense appropriations bill to ban Rush Limbaugh and his one hour program from Armed Forces Radio. It passed the Senate. Any thoughts?

"Liberals" believe freedom of speech is about far left politics, profanity, blasphemy and sedition - but it's also about things with which they disagree.

The good thing is technology is going to outrun all of the doomed leftwing efforts to squelch speech with which they disagree. Satellite radio should soon become ubiquitous, and if the Democrats succeeded in banning Rush from the airways tomorrow, it would only succeed in spurning Internet radio and satellite radio.
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Eye versus ear, general versus specific Reply with quote

LewWaters says; "NPR is their only source and really, who listens to that?"

NPR is TALK TELEVISION, dealing with generalities.

Nobody really LISTENS to the television or movie media because it is an IMAGE, an EYE media. Understanding the mental accomplishment that is required between EAR people and EYE people will explain conservative versus liberal strengths of imagination, deliberation, and thinking. It explains why liberal radio is an oxymoron. Talk RADIO is conservative by the natural laws of human structure. Television is liberal for the same reason. Ears operate on details and specifics as we see in those who are blind. Eyes act upon the general. Generalized talk wearies the ear. Even this EAR person will turn off Conservative Talk Shows that become weary with generalizations.

I am an ear person. My brain was cultivated during the four decades of Old Time Radio. Over 25,000 stories were broadcast through 200 shows, from Abbott & Costello to Yours Truly Johnny Dollar. Radio scripts communicated ideas, sound effects, concepts, descriptions, values, principles, and more. Radio scripts communicated DOTS, lots of DOTS. Radio scripts taught me how to connect the DOTS. Even then, 75% of the ear people preferred pleasure (comedy, drama, westerns). Only 25% preferred heavy use of imagination (detective, mystery, sci fi) and the connecting of dots. I went with the 25%.

The premier of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color in September 1961, was a turning point to radio. Color began to persuade many households to shut off radios and go out and purchase color televisions. But it was not until 1966 that NBC became the first network to show the color we all now take for granted on all of its programs. Top radio shows having actors that could be adapted to image, went with it. AM radio went south, almost becoming extinct, saved only by Talk Radio, by Rush Limbaugh and telephone technologies.

The very IDEA of LISTENING, via etymology, means to LUST FOR, like craving to understand. Listening is an act of reaching out. It is akin to the word BEHOLD, which is to grab hold, to take it in. Watching TV takes no work or thought. The work is all being done for you by actors and special effects technology. That is why many TV watchers are called "Couch Potatoes".

Again, nobody really LISTENS to the television or the movie media because it is an IMAGE, an EYE media. To some extent, I do think that REALITY TV is changing that. Reality TV deals with specifics and, like British Mystery Theater, and like Broadway plays, takes concentration and complete mental focus on the dialogue. Liberals are EYE people. Conservatives are EAR people. Liberal radio is an oxymoron.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to NPR, on a regular basis. I enjoy it too. But I don't kid myself about it either.

Anyone who claims that NPR's reporting is not intentionally slanted to the left is either ignorant, or they have an agenda and are lying.

Of course, none of that is the point.

The leftists, essentially the DU crowd, want to CENSOR Rush Limbaugh.

Personally, I don't listen to the big, fat pumpkinhead.

But that's not the point either. The POINT is; Who the f**k are YOU guys to decide what our soldiers are allowed to listen to?
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not listen to NPR, as I do not like what they say. If I can't pick up the station of my choice for talk radio, then I just listen to oldies or blues!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: who??? Reply with quote

Nakona says: "The POINT is; Who the f**k are YOU guys to decide what our soldiers are allowed to listen to?"

Who are the YOU's, plural, that you are speaking of. I don't see anybody on this forum supporting censorship in any form, to anybody. I ask you to please be specific and name the YOU.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: who??? Reply with quote

ROWELG wrote:
Nakona says: "The POINT is; Who the f**k are YOU guys to decide what our soldiers are allowed to listen to?"

Who are the YOU's, plural, that you are speaking of. I don't see anybody on this forum supporting censorship in any form, to anybody. I ask you to please be specific and name the YOU.

I'm sure he was speaking to the Senators who were first attempting to remove Limbaugh's one hour of programming from the heavily leftist AFRTS. Wink

If you've ever been in a place where AFRTS is the only English language programming you can get, you know how sad it is.

I didn't listen to the radio much, but those poor guys in the field are probably sick to death of the steady drumbeat of negativity they're getting over the airwaves.

They're working their butts off, building schools, sewage systems, bridges, restoring electricity and health clinics, handing out food - all while getting shot at, and yet a good chunk of the so-called "Armed Forces Radio" is full of programming that criticizes them and the mission. How good do you suppose that makes them feel? No wonder CD's and DVD's are so high on the list of "items wanted." Rolling Eyes

Disgusting.

I agree with whoever said it first - that idiot Harkin SHOULD be sent over there 120 days TDY - let him REALLY see what our kids are doing and what conditions under which some of them are living and succeeding!!!

He'd be a whiny, no-load PITA after three days, much less the 18 months that some of our guys are over there.

Mad
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "you" refers to the democrats who are pushing to remove Rush from AFRN and replace it with more NPR.

I can point you to the thread at ** if you don't believe they are doing that.
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy said: "If you've ever been in a place where AFRTS is the only English language programming you can get, you know how sad it is."

I can imagine. before retirement I made many a trip to Asian countries where only CNN propoganda prevailed.

Now, I travel into outreaches such as South Dakota, Iowa, and Rural Minnesota where good radio, moreless any talk radio, is scarce as hens teeth. Finding out what is happening in the world comes via the 5 PM TV and radio sound bites. The few sparse radio stations on the open prairies are all about western music and hog prices. Harkins, from Iowa, is used to living in the dark. Harkins is not the brighest light. Nothing he would legislate would be a surprise.
Laughing
h3digital
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if the law passed the senate, that means since the senate is republican controlled, the republicans agreed with the lefties, if I'm not mistaken, even without Kerry's Vote. Limbaugh has no right to be on Armed Forces Radio. If he does then Air America has the right also.

Wrong! There is no fair doctrine in broadcasting as of yet. Neither has a 'right' to broadcast anywhere. It's all up to the organizations that own and run this nations radio stations, and that includes Armed Forces Radio. They can put anybody they want on the radio.

Limbaugh's show is NOT news its a talk show, like good old Jerry Springer. Oh by the way can't wait to see him in Boston! edited by Moderator - you have been warned about attacks, name calling and slanderous statements. You will not be warned again! At least Jerry is Entertaining and NONE of you can't say you haven't laughed your ass off 1 or 2 times watching his show. Imagine if the Soldiers were able to listen to him instead of edited by Moderator! Limbaugh. Who just spills what the Administration WANTS you to hear. Kind of like Communism radio. What about the Soldiers Morale? Some Soldier HAD to contact their Senator reguarding this issue. Wake up. don't worry you all will come Nov. when we have New Leadership, even if you don't like him as a person, he WILL BE A GOOD PRESIDENT AND LEADER. edited by Moderator! by the way that torture memo yesterday that bush released, only mandated to the Russians only. Not the Iraq's. Read the fine print learn the Truth!
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3digital wrote:
well if the law passed the senate, that means since the senate is republican controlled, the republicans agreed with the lefties, if I'm not mistaken, even without Kerry's Vote. Limbaugh has no right to be on Armed Forces Radio.

Two things...

One, you shouldn't have skipped that civics class. You might have learned enough about the lawmaking process that you would make silly statements like "the republicans must have agreed with the lefties".

Two, Rush is on that network because he has an audience there that enjoys listening to them. What gives YOU the right to decide that they can't listen to him?
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: we need more uncivil liberal posts Reply with quote

I would guess that h3digital is not a vet, a matured salt, tried and tested.

We need more of these uncivil liberal posts for they exhibit the liberal nature to GENERALIZE, to avoid SPECIFICs. THey show their inability to see the DOTS moreless connect the DOTS. It exposes their pre disposition to spew ill will, contempt, anger, and lack of civility. They show their need to insult and curse. It shows they are EVENTS people, not IDEA's people.

We need partisan posts to define and describe WHO they are! Keep these liberal definitions and discriptions coming! Keep avoid telling us what you value or don't value, by telling us what the rest of us are about. Keep the attention off yourself by putting it on others. Keep stomping, cussing, and tantrums coming.
h3digital
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all, actually, regarding armed forces radio it does matter, (moderator) because we the people of the United States of America own those Air Waves our Soldiers hear. The taxpayer pays for those airwaves, to air news and truth, not propaganda. Say what you will about me, but one thing for sure something fishy is going on. Why don't we all tune into President Clinton's interview with Larry King tomorrow night.

Maybe he can explain how our country spent millions of dollars of taxpayer’s money on trying to prosecute him for impeachment with no evidence. Just hearsay. What did come of that? Also with Democratic Minority Congress trying to investigate and hold accountable that abuse of prisoners in Iraq and Cuba and hold checks and balances of the Executive Branch. That's what the Congress if for. To make sure one part of Govt. does not exceed ones authority.

I think that is what Democracy is all about. Just like I was censored on this blog for stating that Limbaugh did compare the torture of prisoners to the skull and bones initiations. Come on. He did say that. Now correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure many of you will, but isn't the Geneva Convention meant to protect our Soldiers as well? If we break it, what are we saying to the world? I just hope and pray all these beheadings by these Terrorists stop soon.

Also feel free to check out the new book by an anonymous writer who was a senor CIA agent covering Al-Queda for a long time. Don’t worry they'll be plenty of reports on the news tomorrow of it. Even on Fox news. Rush will most likely have something to say too. I know I still can't spell. Oh with regarding Civics class, my aim was at trying to convey that the Democrats are the Minority party in both houses. In the Senate I’m aware there are 100 seats, but their not divided equally between Democrats and Republicans. That's what Nov. 2 of 2004 is for.

Remember when President Reagan ended the Partisan war between the parties and united this country? It can happen again, unfortunately not with this administration. Remember the good old famous saying, " can't we all just get along" even if it’s for the sake of National Security. I mean our countries security is at stake. The borders, the airports, the trains, the chemical plants, the nuclear plants so on and so forth. We all need to unite now, not just when a 911 occurs.

The govt. has a habit of waiting for something to happen before they do something about it. That's fact and regardless of what that is, it's been documented. 1st line defenders had more money for their budget (firemen, policemen, etc) then they do now. That's fact. The 2005 budget proposal will make it even worse. Try watching Lou Dobbs at 6pm on CNN, a bi-partisan reporter who tries to get the facts from both sides, not just politicians but economists, strategists and showcases stories of real Americans. A Truly really good show. Take care everyone. Edited and spell checked by War Dog!

Moderator Comment: Your comments might get more attention if you were to add a blank line between paragraphs.

Like I just did. It makes it much more readable.

If you run your paragraphs together it looks like unreasoned babble whether it is or not.

Thank you, if you want to be read!

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we the people of the United States of America own those Air Waves our Soldiers hear. The tax payer pays for those airwaves, to air news and truth, not propaganda.

Does that give "you, the people" the right to censor what our military listens to? Last I heard, Rush was on AFRTS because enough in the military asked for him to be on. Now, there are those that dislike Rush that want him taken off or "balanced" with an idiot like Al Franken?

Quote:
Maybe he can explain how our country spent millions of dollars of tax payers money on trying to prosecute him for impeachment with no evidence.

Actually, there was considerable evidence and considerable stonewalling and cover-up as well, but that is a subject for another post. You might purchase a copy of Dick Morris' "Rewriting History" for starters and read what a 20 year Clinton insider saw.

Quote:
That's what the Congress if for. To make sure one part of Govt. does not exceed ones authrority

I'm waiting for Congress to do just this in regards to leftist activist judges who seem to be legislating form their benches. Is it also responsible for the minority party to filibuster to block the nominations of qualified candidates to federal judgeships who are also memebers of recognized minorities when they too aren't left leaning judges?

Quote:
Remember when President Reagan ended the Partisan war between the parties and United this country? It can happen again, unfortanetely not with this administration.

I see Bush reaching out to Democrats trying to include them as much as Reagan did. Since he was elected to office, Democrats have been lambasting him driving divisions in our nation. Many prominent Democrats also spoke out against Saddam as well as complained to Bush that he wasn't reacting fast enough to 9-11, prompting his reply, "When I take action, I'm not gonna fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."

I see Democrats driving more divisions than I do Bush. Just look to many quotes by Senator Ted (swimmer) Kennedy and his buddy, John "F"in Kerry.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3digital wrote:
to all, actually, reguarding armed forces radio it does matter, (moderator) because we the people of the United States of America own those Air Waves our Soldiers hear.

Hold it! Stop right there.

First of all, take that "we" out of there, until you're old enough to have held a real job and pay more than a tirvial amount of taxes.

Second, you don't get to dictate what they listen to. programming decisions are made mostly on the basis of what the troops want to hear.

The fact that YOU don't like what they WANT to listen to doesn't matter. Nobody died and let YOU in charge.

Finally, before you go around taking about how they are broadcasting propaganda (pot/kettle/black), you better be ready to prove that's what is actually happening.

And so you know...?

Proof by assertion is not acceptable.

Now PLEASE go back to DU, where they actually WANT to hear the crap you're selling.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H3, you make me tired.
Same old liberal dogma. Still crying about Clinton and his self destructive moral values. Still looking for someone else to blame just like Clinton and his 900 page excuse book about the "vast right wing conspiracy".

What ever happened to REAL Democrats? Especially the ones who consider themselves the world's self appointed protectors of First Amendment Rights like FREE SPEECH? Question

What about the free speech rights of Rush Limbaugh and the freedom of choice of our armed forces? Do you feel they need to be protected from one hour a day of conservative radio talk show? Question

A REAL Democrat would let them choose for themselves. All the radios have an OFF switch. That's what happens when Air America is on. NOBODY LISTENS! They turn the switch off. Wink

All we have now are wannabe REAL Democrats like Harkin that can't stand the competition. Somebody might hear a different story than the standard LIB LINE. Crying or Very sad

If there is a REAL Democrat out there anywhere, will he please DEFEND FREE SPEECH? Especially when you do not agree with what is being said! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: