SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC article VERIFIES weapons WERE THERE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: ABC article VERIFIES weapons WERE THERE? Reply with quote

If this was already posted, please delete.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=206847

Barrels inside the Al-Qaqaa facility appear on videotape shot by ABC television affiliate KSTP of St. Paul, Minn., which had a crew embedded with the 101st Airborne Division when it passed through Al-Qaqaa on April 18, 2003 — nine days after Baghdad fell.

Experts who have studied the images say the barrels on the tape contain the high explosive HMX, and the U.N. markings on the barrels are clear.

"I talked to a former inspector who's a colleague of mine, and he confirmed that, indeed, these pictures look just like what he remembers seeing inside those bunkers," said David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington.

It remains unclear how much HMX was at the facility, but what does seem clear is that the U.S. military opened the bunkers at Al-Qaqaa and left them unguarded. Since then, the material has disappeared.

Kimberly
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this is pure BS, because I heard Rush say this morning that the seals were ineffective, since there was vents on the sides of the things or something like that.

But since WHEN do we trust ABC???

I'm sorry but I'm skeptical where they are concerned. First NBC says the explosives were already gone, THEN ABC comes along and has an authentic videotape?

These people will do ANYTHING to save their man, won't they?

Maria
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's something from a different article:

Quote:
But the confidential IAEA documents obtained by ABC News show that on Jan. 14, 2003, the agency's inspectors recorded that just over three tons of RDX were stored at the facility — a considerable discrepancy from what the Iraqis reported.

The IAEA documents could mean that 138 tons of explosives were removed from the facility long before the United States launched "Operation Iraqi Freedom" in March 2003.

The missing explosives have become an issue in the presidential campaign. Sen. John Kerry has pointed to the disappearance as evidence of the Bush administration's poor handling of the war. The Bush camp has responded that more than a thousand times that amount of explosives or munitions have been recovered or destroyed in Iraq.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=204304
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the video, all it was was tape of soldiers looking in a few barrels and taking some stuff out. there is no date on the video and there is no way of telling if this is the stuff that went missing or how much of it there is.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, but KSTP doesn't show any pictures of barrels in connection with their story on this--It only makes reference to having seen chains/locks and some IAEA seals on the doors--

And the IAEA reports themselves talk about how all those chains and locks on the doors were pretty much meaningless because of the large vents on the bunkers and the ease with which those could be breached leaving their seals on the doors undisturbed--

Frankly, I don't think that this tells us anything else new at all--C
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They showed a video on the news about this.

Stolen Honor
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the date is wrong - the 101st went through Al-QaQaa on April 10, not April 18.

Secondly, a poster on Lucianne said that the ABC story is very misleading and that he heard the photographer on the radio this morning and he wasn't even sure where he was when he took the photos.

Thirdly, a Freeper said that in the report, they mixed photos of the IAEA seal in with the report, suggesting the seals they were showing were the seals at the site. I didn't see the report, but I'm sure ABC would "doctor" up the video a bit to hurt Bush.

So the date, location, and the seals are suspect. If it was NOT taken at Al-QaQaa, it is totally irrelevant as the IAEA has not said the explosives were missing from any other site.

My opinion, this is TOTAL BS.

Debbie
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were there on the 10th, this story doesn't hold up.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we know this wasn't one of the other 400 or so sites?
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what in the video verified the location?

what in the video verified the 380 tons?

what in the video verified the seals?

defeat the traitor kerry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how the left doesn't bother to question the veracity of the IAEA or the United Nations.

If the IAEA says these weapons were there then no questions asked they were there. Doesn't matter these guys aren't elected. We don't know dick about who they are or what they stand for. Why is their word held up in such high regard.
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/alqaqaa_documents.pdf

the after action report for the january 14, 2003 visit by the IAEA. confirms the removal of the138 tonnes of RDX explosive

look at who signed the documents at the end Evil or Very Mad

Watching Michael Moores every Move
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC is being VERY DECEPTIVE in reporting this (shocker).

They are trying to show that the news crew and the soldiers entered a bunker that was sealed by the IAEA. THEY DID NOT. They entered ANOTHER bunker which had a lock and a chain on it BUT NOT AN IAEA SEAL. The news reporter said they NEVER entered a bunker that had an IAEA seal on it, but they DID photograph a bunker with a seal that they did come across at the site BUT THAT IS NOT THE BUNKER THEY ENTERED.

ABC is trying to imply that the soldiers left bunkers open that had been sealed by the IAEA. THEY DID NOT AS THEY NEVER ENTERED ANY THAT WERE SEALED - THE NEWS REPORTER SAID THEY DIDN'T.

Therefore, the photos and videos of explosives were NOT taken in bunkers that were sealed by the IAEA, so these would not be pix of the prohibited explosives.

It's VERY interesting that the IAEA is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worried about these explosives as they had no problem NOT destroying them and leaving them in the hands of Saddam.

Debbie
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny! I just saw Ted Koppel an ABC Nightline. He said he didn't realize it until today, but he was actually at the site where the explosives were supposed to be. Showed some footage of the perimeter of the site and interviewed one of the soldiers there who speculated there might be rocket fuel and some weapons. Ted then said from what he knew it was most likely that all the explosives had been removed prior to US coming in as Saddam would have wanted to safeguard.

I'm not too good at parphrasing, but he did indicate he didn't think anything was there! If a transcript becomes available, it was at the very end of the show.
Tex
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentagon releases photo of Iraq arms storage site

Quote:

WASHINGTON, Oct 28 (Reuters) - The Pentagon on Thursday released an aerial photograph taken two days before the Iraq invasion that showed two trucks at the site where 377 tons of high explosives went missing, but could not say if they had anything to do with the disappearance.

The image of a small portion of the sprawling Al Qaqaa arms storage site near Baghdad, taken on March 17, 2003, showed a large tractor-trailer carrying white containers and a smaller truck parked behind it, the Pentagon said.

The image was declassified and released to the public just days before the U.S. presidential election as President George W. Bush faces charges by Democratic challenger John Kerry that the administration committed a blunder by failing to safeguard the powerful conventional explosives.

Chief Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita acknowledged he could not say the trucks were hauling away any explosives or had anything to do with the matter.

Bush and Pentagon officials have argued Saddam Hussein's government may have moved the material from the site after arms inspectors left and before the start of the war in order to protect it from U.S. attack.

"The simple point is that there was activity at this facility during the period in which Saddam and only Saddam controlled (it). What the purpose of that activity was, I have no idea," said Di Rita during a hastily called briefing -- the second in as many days on the subject.

"I am not implying they were removing HMX. I am not suggesting this. I'm not speculating that," Di Rita said.

The missing explosives had been monitored by inspectors from the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency until days before the released photograph was taken. U.S. forces, advancing on Baghdad, first arrived at the site on April 3.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also advanced the argument the explosives may have been gone by the time U.S. forces got there.

He told a radio interviewer, "People who use hair-trigger judgment to come to conclusions about things that are fast-moving frequently make mistakes that are awkward and embarrassing."

Rumsfeld said it was "very likely" that Saddam moved munitions to protect the material from attack.

In addition, he distanced himself from comments made by a Pentagon official in a Washington Times story stating that Russian special forces troops moved many of Iraq's weapons out of the country and into Syria in the weeks before the March 2003 invasion.

ABC News on Thursday showed video appearing to confirm that the missing explosives did not disappear until after the United States had taken control of the storage facility.

The network said experts who had studied the images said barrels seen in the video contain the high explosive HMX. The video was shot by an affiliate TV station embedded with the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division when the troops passed through the storage facility on April 18, 2003, nine days after the fall of Baghdad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: