SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check 21 (don't forget)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Check 21 (don't forget) Reply with quote

From Fox News:

Check 21 Law May Cost Consumers

Thursday, October 28, 2004

CHICAGO — Personal checks used to move cross-country on planes and trains, but a new law going into effect Thursday is putting processing on the electronic superhighway — possibly at the expense of consumers.

The law, called Check 21 (search), promises to save the banking industry $2 billion per year by electronically processing checks, which will eliminate the physical transportation involved now.

"The purpose of Check 21 was to make the check processing system more efficient. It's pretty antiquated at this point," said Nessa Feddis of the American Bankers Association (search), who also said the change will be gradual, not sudden.

But consumer watchdogs say the instantaneous clearing of checks will cost check-writers since banks will still be permitted to hold deposits as long as they do now.

"There's no requirement that deposits be made available any sooner, so money could be leaving your account more quickly than it's coming in," said Gail Hillebrand, a senior attorney at the Consumers Union (search).

Some groups are warning people who rely on a "float," which is when a check is written knowing it won't clear until after funds have been deposited.

"If you walk in somewhere and you're going to write a check ... that's a little bit frightening if you know the next day you might have to cover it," said Gus Koustis, who occasionally "floats" a check.

Soon, legally binding photocopies will replace cancelled checks in your monthly statement.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Check 21 (don't forget) Reply with quote

I already have photo copies instead of the real returned check. The photo copy is only the front of the check. Can't see a signature on the back. I don't know how I would prove an endorsement if someone claimed they didn't get a check I wrote. I like the convenience of a full sheet of check copies intead of individual checks. Searching for a spent check goes a lot faster. BTW I never "float" a check on purpose. But I have made a large deposit on the weekend then gone shopping thinking I had money in the account. The deposit is not credited to the account until Monday. [ouch]

msindependent wrote:
From Fox News:

Check 21 Law May Cost Consumers

Thursday, October 28, 2004

<snip>
Soon, legally binding photocopies will replace cancelled checks in your monthly statement.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get ours both ways, our electronic copies are front and back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: