SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Germany's largest newspaper "Endorses" Bush...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudArmyWife
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Germany's largest newspaper "Endorses" Bush... Reply with quote

I came across this while "surfing" and since I am totally ignorant of what newspapers are in Germany or Europe...I thought I'd let you all check it out. (Please delete if duplicate topic)

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2004/10/another_october.html

Quote:
Another October Surprise: Germany's Largest Newspaper Endorses Bush
(By Ray D.)

Perhaps the largest October surprise in Germany is the BILD newspaper's endorsement of President George W. Bush. BILD, which has the widest circulation of any newspaper in Europe, lists the following 10 reasons why Bush should be re-elected:

Update: The list we had up earlier was an abbreviated summary of the 10 reasons. We have now translated BILD's list of reasons in their entirety. Here they are:

1. Bush has clear priorities. He sees the inhuman Islamic fundamentalism and the murderous mullahs as the largest danger for the Western world.
2. Bush has learned the lessons of history. Military strength, not pleasant talk, is the only thing that helps against violent fanatics. And with Bush -- unlike with Kerry -- there is no doubt about this.

3. Under Bush, the US, as a superpower, will continue to bear the financial, military and casualty burden in the fight against terrorism in a "holy war" which Islamic fanatics unilaterally declared.

4. Along with fighting terror and the terrorists, a re-elected Bush will do everything he can to prevent nuclear proliferation. That is especially true with regard to the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea.

5. Bush has learned that America can defeat every country in war, but needs allies in peace. Thus, his second term will be characterized by cooperation with international partners. But he will not depend on how Syria or Libya vote at the UN.

6. Bush knows that Europe and Germany don’t have the military at their disposal to become involved in any further foreign military engagements. Therefore he won't ask them for help. Kerry will do exactly that – and will further burden already damaged German-American relations.

7. Under Bush, America will remain a reliable partner for Israel in its fight for survival. That must especially be in our German interest.

8. Republicans have always been stronger supporters of free trade than Democrats. That is also true of Bush when compared to Kerry. And that is good for Germany as an export nation.

9. Every new American administration makes mistakes. Bush has already made his. Kerry, on the other hand, has of yet held no (executive) position in the government. He would be worse prepared than most Presidents preceding him.

10. With Bush, we know what to expect. With Kerry, nobody knows what he stands for and where he wants to lead America – and the world.

Certainly, BILD should be applauded for its courage. Supporting George W. Bush in a nation where the overwhelming majority of the leftist dominated media absolutely seethe with hate for Mr. Bush is no small matter. The newspaper's email inbox is likely jammed with thousands of angry, outraged emails by now. But BILD's action proves that not all Germans have bought into the anti-American, anti-Bush mindset of most of the nation's media publication
[/quote][/url]
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
6. Bush knows that Europe and Germany don’t have the military at their disposal to become involved in any further foreign military engagements. Therefore he won't ask them for help. Kerry will do exactly that – and will further burden already damaged German-American relations.

Now that is an interesting observation. Kerry claims he would build our relations with the European community. They don't think so.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I am curious about this passage:

Does anyone know where the German and European military are engaged? I am not up to snuff on German politics, so are the German forces militarily engaged somewhere?
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFall wrote:
Does anyone know where the German and European military are engaged? I am not up to snuff on German politics, so are the German forces militarily engaged somewhere?

Yes. They're engaged to each other. Shocked

Jokes aside, I don't think their military is ready to do anything except clean and get paid. That's not a joke.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFall wrote:

Germany, since WW2, has not sent forces outside their borders until recently. I believe German forces were/are in the Balkans in support of UN operations there. Germans are in Afghanistan, though I believe only police units. At the start of the Iraq war, there was a German military decontamination unit in Kuwait at the Kuwaitees' request, in case Saddam used bio/chem warfare on them. You may remember the German GSG-9 (border police) unit that stormed the hijacked plane in Mogidishu some years back. I've worked with the Luftwaffe (German air force) and they are very professional. There is not a large military establishment in Germany, but what there is, is good. The French have forces in some areas of Africa, though I think most of these are French Foreign Legion. I think they have troops in Haiti. I've not worked with French forces, so can't give you a read on them. Perhaps if you go to Global Security's site, you can find more information on all this.
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems this paper understands Kerry' s weakness and utter lack of ability to lead. Seems they are one up one some our weakminded voters.
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Germany's largest newspaper "Endorses" Bush... Reply with quote

ProudArmyWife wrote:
I came across this while "surfing" and since I am totally ignorant of what newspapers are in Germany or Europe...I thought I'd let you all check it out.

Another October Surprise: Germany's Largest Newspaper Endorses Bush

Perhaps the largest October surprise in Germany is the BILD newspaper's endorsement of President George W. Bush. BILD, which has the widest circulation of any newspaper in Europe, lists the following 10 reasons why Bush should be re-elected:

The BILD is what is referred to as a "boulevard magazine" or tabloid. Perhaps some of the tabloids in New York would be analogous. Surprisingly enough, it is conservative. Most Americans might be surprised at its content. Lots of photos, some of scantily clad young women, some solid news stories, some totally out to lunch. As the header says, though, it has the largest circulation in Europe. I find it very unusual that they would "endorse" President Bush, because the vast majority of Germans and Europeans in general are pro-Kerry. I would think they would want to protect their customer base. Other European publications, such as the Financial Times and Stern have endorsed Kerry.
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Euro troops Reply with quote

German troops are in Afghanistan. There may be some in Kosovo but I am not sure about this one. Most European countries are not set up for long term large engagements overseas. When in their own self interests the French will drop in some legionnnaires but as far as being able to match the U.S. they cannot match us. The Brits are the closest to the U.S. in capability which is evidenced by their troops in Iraq and the fact they flew in the no-fly zones. Love those Brits. There are some smaller European countries that have troops in Iraq. Brief and not an all inclusive explanation.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: French military Reply with quote

I was in France on vacation during the month of July, where lots of people (my wife's friends) were asking me how I could possibly support President Bush, and I talked to them about things like oil-for-food payments going to French officials, and a parked plane at Salman Pak in Iraq that terrorists used to practice hijacking, meaning that prior to invading in Iraq, there could be reasonable suspicions that they were connected to 9-11.

One of the people there was a veteran of the French army, and said that George H. W. Bush should have sent forces into Baghdad in 1991. Unfortunately, French politicians don't have the same kind of courage as their solders. Money talks!!!
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: crack troops?? Reply with quote

I can speak to Germany only and Tucan is right regarding their military involvement in Afghan and elsewhere. The European countries, both old and new, have almost non-existent military forces. All European countries still employ 12-18 month conscripts to "maintain" their armies. But all countries has elite military units, who are professional lifer military and highly trained comparable to a 101st AB or 1st Cav units, tho the countries would like to think they are equivalent to Delta Forces or at least Seals, etc
These are the units Poland and Spain has or had deployed in Iraq. The crutch of Kerry’s problem, God forbid he is elected, is that the countries already providing support don’t have any troops to rotate in and out of Iraq. Bush and US CentCom understands this, which is why the smaller countries are given less dangerous locations. When they need to give their troops a break, they have to pull them out without replacements. Which is why they usually only have causalities from terrorist attacks not combat. For that matter, England can only rotate marginally as can the Aussies. You saw how the crack Russian troops did at the school hijacking, so you figure what they could provide. Maybe if they stopped selling arms indiscriminately around the world would be a big help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: