SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BREAKING - ARAFAT ERA IS OVER
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: BREAKING - ARAFAT ERA IS OVER Reply with quote

Haven't found a link yet, but Christiane Amanpour on CNN just reported live by phone that Arafat has dementia and leukemia. She reported that the Arafat era is over. The dementia is so advanced, doctors say Arafat is no longer in control of his faculties. Report was about 09:35 EDT, Sat. I'll come back and provide a link when I find one.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/10/30/arafat.health/

Palestinian officials: Arafat era is over
Doctors in Ramallah say he most likely has leukemia

Saturday, October 30, 2004 Posted: 9:54 AM EDT (1354 GMT)

PARIS, France (CNN) -- Palestinian officials close to Yasser Arafat, who is being treated for illness in Paris, told CNN Saturday they have reached the conclusion that the era of Arafat as Palestinian leader is over.

The sources told CNN's Christiane Amanpour that Arafat, 75, is not in complete control of his mental faculties and cannot make important decisions or communicate coherently.

Meetings are under way among other Palestinian leaders in Ramallah to determine a course of action and divide responsibilities.

Even while Arafat was in Ramallah, before traveling to France for medical treatment, his four teams of doctors reached the conclusion that he most likely has leukemia, the officials said.

They wanted to leave it to French doctors to reach a final conclusion.

Doctors in Paris have not said whether Arafat has leukemia, and Palestinian officials are still awaiting a prognosis, the sources said.

Arafat is only being visited by his wife Suha and one other Palestinian official while in the hospital. But the sources close to the Palestinian leadership said they had knowledge of his condition and the actions under way.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qorei and former prime minister Mahmoud Abbas have divided the Palestinian portfolio and come to an agreement, the sources said.

Under the agreement, Abbas would become leader, as chairman of the PLO and the Fatah organization, while Qorei would be in charge of the Palestinian Authority and security services, the sources said.

Qorei would recognize Abbas as the main leader who would take over in the event that Arafat is fully incapacitated or dies, they said.

But the sources said some Palestinians oppose making any formal plan while Arafat his alive, and would rather have communiques issued in his name. There is no agreement, and there is still something of a power struggle under way, the sources said.

Both Abbas and Qorei have publicly been at odds with Arafat, even as they have stated allegiance to him.

Each complained he was not allowed enough power over security forces or finances to allow important steps in improving Palestinian life and reducing terrorist attacks by Palestinian militant groups.

Edited 1 time to add URL and story; 10:24 EDT, 30 Oct 04
ontheright
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Arafat Reply with quote

What a pity---NOT!
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have given the dementia diagnosis years ago

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just proves our form of government is the very best. We'd have a smooth transition with no 'you take this part--I'll take this part.'
Jefe
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: The Irony of it. Reply with quote

The legacy of Arafat's leadership is that the "future Palestinian state," after all this time, still lacks the infrastructure to provide medical treatment for him, and his people.

I wish I could summon to myself the Christian charity to wish him an easy passing. Instead, the picture of him lying in a Parisan hospital bed in his own sh** during his last days, somehow is more satisfying.
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Irony of it. Reply with quote

Jefe wrote:
The legacy of Arafat's leadership is that the "future Palestinian state," after all this time, still lacks the infrastructure to provide medical treatment for him, and his people.

I wish I could summon to myself the Christian charity to wish him an easy passing. Instead, the picture of him lying in a Parisan hospital bed in his own sh** during his last days, somehow is more satisfying.

Great post Jefe, level of agreement 100%

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the spirit my mother on one side of me, and my grandmother on the other, I will sit as straight in this pew as I possibly can, and with all the moral training and lessons in behaving like a lady those two gracious women tried to impart being dredged up from the depths of my black heart, I will say--

"I am sorry to hear Arafat is so ill."

Then, because I always was my daddy's daughter, I will add: "But how could they tell he has dementia? What would you call the last 40+ years of his life, except one long road trip along the highway of Depply Demented?"
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Irony of it. Reply with quote

Jefe wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are many Swiss bank accounts owned by Arafat and his cronies full of money originally intended as "aid" to the Palestinian people. Money from countries all around the world, including us. If so, there may be a battle royal to get the loot. Evil or Very Mad
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean he's not DEAD YET? Trick or Treat?

Ok..I'm sorry.... Embarassed Ok..no I'm not....

In advance.... R.I.P. Yasser Arafart.
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In advance.... R.I.P. Yasser Arafart

No rest in HELL! Twisted Evil

Stolen Honor
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:

There will be no state Funeral. The French would be the only ones there and maybe Jimmuh.

Last edited by GM Strong on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:

Sorry guys and gals....but unfortunately, we all know the old saying, "you can't kill the DEVIL". Twisted Evil

Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are exactly right Jefe, Palestinians and their organizations have gotten the equitant of $30 Billon over the last 50 years, yet they still live in refuge camps.
GOOD BYE and MAY A THOUSAND CAMEL TICKS INHABIT YOUR BED.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoEagles wrote:
I could have given the dementia diagnosis years ago

Exactly -- Arafat started modern error terrorism -- he started Hamas, Hezzabolam, the El Auxa(?) Murderers Brigade ---he is personally responsible for all the murder and suffering in the Middle East by both the innocent people in Israel and the Palistinians ... he is corrupt to the core --- A decent leader in Palistine and there would have been peace before Sadat was murdered.

Arafat Evil or Very Mad is a murderer and criminal --- he should not be mourned
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said in another thread how they imagine when he dies the scene from the movie Ghost when the bad guy died and the demons take him away. PERFECT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: