SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brokaw interview edited out Kerry records slip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slittle
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Republic has it, too.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1264370/posts
Is Kerry's record out there?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, LGF is concentrating on the transcript - nothing in there about the two different versions of the video, and how the "my records aren't public" comment existed in the short version earlier this week and is not in the longer version aired tonight.

Nothing in the comments, either - I am registered at LGF, but have long ago lost my p/w to enter. Someone who is registered (and more organized than I! Wink ) needs to bring up this important point - it is NOT an inadvertent error.

The video and the transcript were not edited for that specific comment until it got so much attention - that quote must be plastered in 10,000 places on the internet, by now!
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy,
The tough thing about the video is that until someone can come up with both clips, it is a hard sell...

I'm heartened that LGF put the transcript cuts up...

I think it will take hold.

recon
grumpyBB
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.captainsquartersblog.com also has it
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Rush has it on his site - he played it the next day... it was a big, "aha" moment, the transcript of which has been reproduced here - if Rush shows up with the "new" version, tomorrow, we're in there. I will even buy and learn how to runthe audio capture software that sround recommended to me to get those two clips side by side.

And you're right - I didn't mean to sound negative about LGF - I'm very happy that they picked it up at all!
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
I used to tell people that IMO, Brokaw was the best of the three. Now, reference to them as Larry, Curly and Moe is an insult to Larry, Curly and Moe.

Made me laugh again. Very Happy You tickle children everytime you get a chance don't you?

Sam
Sandra C.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch, demacto!

In another related comment: "ord33 wrote:
On a somewhat unrelated note....I wonder why in the original transcript, they have Kerry's response to the "Cheney Lesbian" question in bold? Any ideas? Think it was just an error? I seriously dont have a clue why they would do it, but it is the only question or answer that is bold."

Kerry has been clear about combining "Cheney" and "Lesbian" as much as possible so that everyone hearing it will have a very clear picture of what Mary Cheney does with her female partner, hoping it will make a difference with conservative Christian fundalmentalists.

While very strong Christians might be slightly uncomfortable as they visual what lesbians do, I think all of us realize that this could very well be (and many are) our sisters, aunts, daughters, mothers or ex-wives and have compassion for those we love and within our family unit.

We thought it very hypocritical of the fraud to bring it up as if it left a bad taste in his mouth even as the Democratic party as a whole makes the whole heartedly attempt to appeal and draw in gays!

Now that I'm done with my minor note, I wanted to get back to the huge part of this story, which is about the edited transcript. Huge story. Editing transcripts for a more favorable response. Isn't that truly pathetic?

My main reaction was, well, "Why are we not surprised NBC did this? Surely we can't have strong feelings that a minor thing like ETHICS might still be followed when it comes to the MSM and WHAT'S RIGHT?"
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slittle wrote:
Free Republic has it, too.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1264370/posts
Is Kerry's record out there?

Comments on FR are on fire!.

Sam
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTP://WWW.POWERLINEBLOG.COM/

DID NBC EDIT OUT KERRY'S ADMISSION ON MILITARY RECORDS?
Many readers have written us, expressing outrage that when NBC's Dateline rebroadcast Tom Brokaw's interview with John Kerry, which was previously shown on MSNBC, Kerry's admission that not all of his military records have been released was edited out. Other bloggers are accusing NBC of covering up Kerry's admission that he has repeatedly lied about making all of his records public.
There is no question that a key line got edited out. Here is the original exchange as it appeared on MSNBC:
Brokaw: Someone has analyzed the President's military aptitude tests and yours, and concluded that he has a higher IQ than you do.
Kerry: That's great. More power. I don't know how they've done it, because my record is not public. So I don't know where you're getting that from.
And here is how the exchange was shown on the much more heavily-watched Dateline:
"Someone has analyzed the president's military aptitude tests and yours, and concluded that he has a higher IQ than you do."
Kerry: "That's great. More power. I don't know how they've done it."
Superficially, this is rather damning. But if you read the complete transcripts of the two versions of the interview, you will see that they are quite different. The Dateline version included some exchanges that were not played on MSNBC, and MSNBC included others that were cut from the Dateline version.
Power Line readers are news junkies who are tuned in to the issues surrounding Kerry's military service that have been raised by the Swift Boat Vets and others. Realistically, however, the number of non-junkie listeners who would have understood the significance of the sentence that Dateline cut from Kerry's answer is close to zero. My guess is that whoever edited the video footage for Dateline had no idea that the omitted material was significant.
There is no question that the mainstream media covered up for John Kerry with respect to his military service. But they didn't do it by this minor bit of editing. They did it by never--ever--asking him the basic question: "Why won't you make all of your military records public?"
It's true that the Kerry campaign has falsely claimed that all of his records are publicly available, but they can't seriously maintain that position if it is subjected to any scrutiny. The Navy has said that it has around 100 pages that have not been released because Kerry has not signed the necessary form. That is an indisputable fact. So if a reporter asked Kerry the question, he would have to come up with some kind of an answer. And it is hard to see what answer he could give that would not lead no additional, more penetrating, questions.
But the mainstream media, while constantly slandering the Swift Boat Vets as disseminators of "discredited" information, have slammed the door on "legitimate" discussion of Kerry's military record by refusing to ask him the most basic of questions: what is in your records, and why won't you let the voters see them?
That's the real cover-up. And because that cover-up has been so successful, NBC could have played the full version of the IQ exchange, and hardly any viewers would have been the wiser.
UPDATE: Beldar has some very interesting comments along similar lines, but with a little pulchritude thrown in.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is audio from the original Brokaw interview where Kerry said he hadnt released the records. It is actually captured from the Rush Limbaugh show, not directly from NBC, but still gets the job done!

http://www.peteandrews.net/site/2004/rush_nails_it.htm
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught that tonight when it was on as well. I have a question. Do you think the Kerry camp had to ask for the edit or did NBC do it on their own. Now you know why he doesn't do interviews when he doesn't get the questions beforehand.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roon,

Good question, I asked Dateline the same exact question in my e-mail to them. I wasnt exactly quite as nice as you put it, so I'm sure I wont get a response. I have cooled down now, took me a couple hours, but I have let out all of my steam!
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:
Roon,

Good question, I asked Dateline the same exact question in my e-mail to them. I wasnt exactly quite as nice as you put it, so I'm sure I wont get a response. I have cooled down now, took me a couple hours, but I have let out all of my steam!

I have NO Doubt the request (DEMAND) was made by the Kerry Camp, however, the response was probably, "No, Stop right there. You know better than to ask something like that. It was taken care of 5 seconds after it aired. We're insulted that you felt you even had to ask."
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, he doesnt even do an interview WITH the questions before hand when they arent softballs---Woodward
Darkhorse18
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skerry and NBC must be really worried about those records! Very Happy I wonder what is really in them?????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: