SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AK47 BAN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piece, Sang Run!

Nothing like the sound of the that 7.62x39mm popping away.

Ahh, mid-forties Russian technology...

Still making itself felt and heard on battlefields all around the globe.

That one in the pic looks romanian or russian.

reconflyer
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reconflyer,

Romanian built by Ohio Rapid Fire in Troy Ohio an Ohio Ordinance Works receiver.

Most of it made in the USA and all legal. Hard to imagine AK's being made here given we were at war for 40 years with them.

Heck, there is a company that brought all the tooling over from Bulgaria to make totally USA made AK's.
Weaponeer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have AK's AR's, and others I also have some a bit large

The image is not working here so you can see it here:

http://www.weaponeer.net/media/gallery%2FAug%5F2004%5FMinong%5FShoot%2FBlast%2Ejpg

Twin Belt Fed Semiauto
Algesan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaponeer wrote:
Do a search and you will find that magazines for the M16 and the M9 were causing a lot of problems during the last gulf war, and they no longer could get replacements. Evil or Very Mad

Hmmmm, the only problem I (and others in my unit) had with my M16A2 30 round mag was solved by my 1SG (a Vietnam vet). If you leave 30 rounds in it for an extended period, it won't feed correctly until a few are fired, but if you leave it with 25 rounds, then it will work fine. Of course, I had to find a couple of extra mags for my excess rounds, but no big deal.
Weaponeer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Algesan wrote:

Hmmmm, the only problem I (and others in my unit) had with my M16A2 30 round mag was solved by my 1SG (a Vietnam vet). If you leave 30 rounds in it for an extended period, it won't feed correctly until a few are fired, but if you leave it with 25 rounds, then it will work fine. Of course, I had to find a couple of extra mags for my excess rounds, but no big deal.

From what I remember, the problem with the M9 was failure to feed (cheap mags). The M16 series rifles were having problems with magazines which had damaged feed lips (likely from dropping on the ground fully loaded). The result was they tended to fail at the wrong time, and no replacements were in the supply system.
Algesan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaponeer wrote:
From what I remember, the problem with the M9 was failure to feed (cheap mags). The M16 series rifles were having problems with magazines which had damaged feed lips (likely from dropping on the ground fully loaded). The result was they tended to fail at the wrong time, and no replacements were in the supply system.

Don't know about the M9s then (I don't care for it myself, nice straight shooter, easy to handle, but I don't like the way it hefts in my hand), but we had a *lot* of brand new M16 mags stashed away in supply before the war was even a dream.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2118&highlight=knob+creek

Check that out for pics and link to the Knob Creek MG shoot in Kentucky. I was there and took some of these pics. Everyone who is a gun owner should experience one of these shows once.
tugboatphil
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reconflyer wrote:
the most ludicrous component of the assault weapon ban was the 10 round magazine restriction, which hit pistol fans the hardest

It was the lamest, most poorly thought out, ineffective, and red-tape laden legislation rolled out in recent history (except for maybe motor-voter).

Amen, Brother! I almost reached the point of paying $125 for a 15 round Glock Mag at a gun show, several years back. Glad I held out.

As to Motor Voter, I think the results of the last two election cycles speak to the sucess of not verifying who is actually registering.

Don't Sweat the Mule Goin' Blind,
Just Keep Loadin' the Wagon.
tmpusfugit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it fully automatic weapons are not banned, currently, or formerly under the Clinton regs. They fall under the class 3 FFP catigory and require extra licensing/tax stamps, but they continue to be available. They also fall under the mag capacity regulations, not much fun to go full auto with a 10 round clip, but there are people who legally sell "pre ban" full capacity clips. Not that any of this is relevant to keeping Kerry out of the Whitehouse. Just think it important we not become confused as to full auto weapons...they are out there, and can be bought, owned, shot, and sold legally, as long as some fairly stringent rules are followed.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberwolf wrote:
Don't worry I and my wife already voted for Bush-Cheny by absentee ballot on 10-12-04.
I have (Hanoi Kerry) and (flush the Johns) stickers in the back window of my pickup. I get alot of honks and thumbs up from people in Bakersfield area. Have been stopped at traffic lights and asked by person parked next to me where I got the stickers at.
For those that don't know, Bakersfield, Ca. is an Oilfield town of about 350,000, the last time I looked, plus about 8 or 9 smaller towns in the emmediate area.
Bush said he lived here once a long time ago. He made a point of stopping here when he was in California last month.

Props TW, It may be hard here in the PRK but I've noticed quite a few W's down here in the LA area of all things. They stand out because I'm surprised to see them. Kahlifornia may not be in play this election but the land of Reagan will start to turn around. BTW, I voted Bush last week.
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="reconflyer"]Now that you got me started, the most ludicrous component of the assault weapon ban was the 10 round magazine restriction, which hit pitsol fans the hardest, not "assault weapon" fans (I have one, it is fun).

I must disagree.

I think the most stupid portion of the bill was the part about the bayonet lug. Same rifle just grind off the lug and its good to go.

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
NoNaYet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: .50 Cal Ban Reply with quote

All kidding aside about the .50 cals hidden in the basement, there is a renewed push by the anti-gun crowd to ban anything .50 or bigger. Most folks see this as a hit against the .50 BMG shooters. .50 BMG long range shooters are not a big crowd and to the uninformed the weapon may look nasty. But as usual there are other unintended (or maybe hidden) effects to this anti-gun agenda. I most often shoot a .58 - flintlock. I would hazard that the majority of all black powder shooters (hunters at least) shoot .50 or bigger. These would all fall under the .50 or bigger ban.

NoNaYet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: