SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempt to throw this election-Never forget!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighter Cat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Attempt to throw this election-Never forget! Reply with quote

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/31590.htm
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen --- I got duped big time by the early exit polls.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God, I was out of touch with the media on Tuesday --- and didn't hear the polls. I found out Hannity was telling people to go vote and started to pray every spare moment ....

never, never, never act upon anything a poll says --- act upon your own conscience, act upon your values --- trust your own mind and emotions ---
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the democrats had their people doing the exit polls. They were planted in everything. We all need to watch for any large buy outs or whatever of the internet, I'm sure they will try to control that next.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard for me to understand the whole exit poll mentality thing, that says that people will go out and vote more for the person leading. I don't know about you all, but if I were the only person in the United States of America voting for George Bush last Tuesday, and I knew that, I would still have voted for him.

Why would knowing what other people are supposedly doing or not doing affect what I am going to do? Some kind of "cool people" popularity thing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
Of course the democrats had their people doing the exit polls. They were planted in everything. We all need to watch for any large buy outs or whatever of the internet, I'm sure they will try to control that next.

You got that right msindependant! I am sad for the decent dems though, they are totally out numbered by the right wing fascists! Twisted Evil
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Exit polls Reply with quote

Even those betting on the Presidential race were panicking based on those exit polls, although those who bet on Bush at that time could have cleaned up!

When I saw those exit polls, I also started wondering: who votes in the morning on election day? People who want to vote before going to work, and those who don't work. People who vote before going to work (more likely to vote Republican) don't have time to fill out a long exit poll, so they brush off the pollster and go to work. Those who don't work (more likely to vote Democrat) would more likely take the time to fill out a long exit poll.

Those who DO work and didn't vote in the morning probably stood in line for hours in the evening before voting. By the time anyone could exit-poll them and get results out, the real numbers were coming in, and Democrats were in shock and awe!

Still, someone has to look into why the PA exit polls showed Kerry leading 60-40, when Kerry only won PA by 2.24% (current results on CNN). If a poll is off by more than 17%, somebody must have deliberately skewed it!

The day after the election, Brit Hume did say that Fox News stopped using exit polls shortly after the first real numbers came in, and that made calling states a lot more accurate! Still, Fox was the first network to "call" Ohio, based on Bush's lead and the estimated number of unreported votes in pro-Democrat areas of the state.

Since we now have two years until the next (congressional) election, maybe the next "campaign reform" law should prohibit the publication of exit poll results before the polls close, and their use by the media in "calling" states for candidates. Exit polls might give campaigns ideas about the profiles of voters who vote a certain way (age, sex, race, religion, marital status, etc.) for future elections, but they are utterly useless for predicting full election results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: